Wind Noise At High Speed, On A 1990 Ls

lsrxlex

I got wind noise at a speed over 55mph (on a 1990 LS 400). Sounds like air got inside thru some cracks in the windows or sunroof (?), but all windows are fully closed including the sunroof. And the noise level increases with speed from 55mph and up.

How can I reduce the noise? How can I find where does the leak come from?

I remember the car was so quiet when I first bought it 15 years ago.

Thanks.

The most common cause for wind noise on the LS in the gasket around the sunroof

glass. Unfortunately you must purchase the whole glass piece to stop the noise as the gasket is sealed at the factory. The only other option is to buy a wind deflector that mounts in front of the sunroof and that seems to solve the problem. You should also apply a gasket sealer/preservative to all your gaskets around all windows and doors annually.

I had a similar wind sound/whistle in my 1993 LS400 that drove me crazy. I thought it was coming from the windshield or sunroof but could not pinpoint the source.

Finally, I traced the noise to the telephone antenna mounted on the rear window. It stuck up enough to create a whistle that got louder, the faster I went.

Do you have an antenna ?

Here is a TSB about wind noise on our cars. It is a repair hit that I think you can buy, it has part numbers, so I would figure so.

14.pdf

I had a similar wind sound/whistle in my 1993 LS400 that drove me crazy.  I thought it was coming from the windshield or sunroof but could not pinpoint the source.

Finally, I traced the noise to the telephone antenna mounted on the rear window.  It stuck up enough to create a whistle that got louder, the faster I went.

Do you have an antenna ?

Rusty, I used to have the same whistle problem with my antenna until I removed it along with the car phone.

My problem now probably is all around the body of the car: moonroof and doors.....(?).

I just put scotch (packing) tape on top of the car, around the moon roof, and that did reduce the noise just a little bit.

Maybe I have to do the same to an additional door, and gradually add one more door each time, until problem found, hopefully.

Then, next step would be to find out how to use the Wind Noise Kit around moonroof and door areas of problem (after taking off the ugly scotch tapes).

Nc211, I went to Lexus dealer, and they showed me the Kit (I didn't buy it because I don't know how to use it. The price was ~$106). It has all kinds, thicknesses and sizes of self-adhesive black foams. And I looked in the 1990 Lexus shop manuals (2 volumes), I couldn't find instructions on how to use/apply the foams to fix the problem.

Any ideas/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

lsrxlex, sorry man, I have no idea how to use the kit. But one idea that is a cheap alternative, although I don't know if it'll work or not, is to clay bar and really wax up the corners to make them super smooth. I have noticed in my 17 years of car ownership that a car seems to be much quieter when waxed really well. I've also noticed that rain-x on all the windows, especially the windshield makes a dramatic reduction in wind noise against the glass. That might be an idea. I took some cleaner about a year ago and cleaned out the sunroof seal settings, and then conditioned the rubber seal with some lubricant to prevent it from sticking. I had a small water leak from a dirty contact seal. Haven't had one since, and it also quieted down the wind noise around the sunroof.

An automotive stethoscope is very useful for finding the source of noises. I paid only a few dollars for one many years ago. Here is a link to a picture of one which is identical to the one I have: http://www.mikeogara.net/tools/engine-driv...tethoscope.html

Let someone else drive whle you probe around the side windows and sunroof to find where the noise is loudest.

I think I fixed the main wind noise problem on my car.

As I opened the hood, I found the rubber weatherstrip (near the scuff plate and wiper arms) has lost most of its clips, and dropped way down into the engine compartment. So, a trip to local Toyota dealer to get 7 more clips (part # 90467-10146, cost=$11.52 for 7 clips; total clips per car=9.) and 10 minutes of installation has solved my main wind noise problem. The "wind" noise probably comes from engine noise which leaks thru that weatherstrip onto the windshield and I felt it all around the car. Now I'm back to the "normal" wind noise level which is higher than it used to be, of course.

Nc211, I certainly will do exactly as you recommeded to reduce my now "normal" wind noise. By the way, what does "clay bar" mean?

1990LS400, I will try stethoscope if I can't get to my acceptable noise level by waxing, using rain-x, conditioning the rubber......

I went to Kragen, and they don't have the electronic ones, but only have the type with a metal (aluminum or steel?) rod to "hear and transmit" the sound. I think its use is good for something (should be metal, I guess) that vibrates while emitting noise, and the metal rod has to touch it so we can "hear" thru the stethoscope.

If some air leaks thru a small hole at the rubber weatherstrip on doors, for example, can the metal rod help us "hear" the noise?

RFeldes, wind deflector is a good idea, and an easy one too. But I'm not sure it can survive the drive-thru car wash or not. I'm too lazy most of the time to hand wash my car!

Thank you all. :)

lsrxlex, sorry for the delayed response, been away from my computer for a few days. Glad you got the windnoise fixed! The claybar is a detailing tool when you're waxing the car, or should I say "prepping" to wax the car. The clay bar is just that, a bar of clay. It is used to remove all the little contaminants in the paint itself. All the little dirt particles, bird !Removed!, and environmental junk that is too small and bonding for normal wash to get, or even a cleaner wax to get sometimes. You wash the car by hand first, get it nice and clean, then put a little clay in your hand, use fresh soapy water, put some soapy water on one section and then gently rub the clay on that section, in a circular motion. Rinse off that section with water and move on to a different section. It works wonders on the front of the car with bug guts and such. Don't freak out if after the rinsing dries and it looks like you screwed up the paint! It's normal! The paint is now super super duper super clean and ready to be polished, waxed, polished, waxed, polished. That's how I do mine anyway, once a year. It works great on glass too, especially the windshield before the rain-x is put on. I've found Rain-X really smoothes out the windnoise on the windshield, but you've got to use it every few months.

NC211 is correct in that the clay bar on the windows and Rain-X reduce wind noise significantly. Slicker than a babies butt.

Gremio..great post. I wish I had that TB when I had my 400 as It drove me nuts. Not that loud but had to keep the sunshade closed all the time.