Should I Get An S Class Benz?

indiasfinest

used benz...i am going 2 get a 400/430/500 it will be 04/05...higly doubt 06...what are your experiences...thinking of new e320 but s class used is too tempting...100k car for 50k or less...loaded and under warranty...gimme ur thoughts

ty in advance

used benz...i am going 2 get a 400/430/500 it will be 04/05...higly doubt 06...what are your experiences...thinking of new e320 but s class used is too tempting...100k car for 50k or less...loaded and under warranty...gimme ur thoughts

ty in advance

Mercedes from past experience are very well engineered, however the reliability has gone way down, ( suspect the labor in Germany has gone down hill) Would difinetely buy extended warranty unless you know a good cheap Mercedes independent garage. I Have one here locally in Sacramento, but the dealership is like Lexus and will rape you of any money you have. S class sedans are truely wonderful cars to drive and feel like you could drive a 130 plus miles per hour all day long will no strain. They turn marvelously, and the suspension is the best I have ever driven in my short 55 years. If drive such a car expect expense when the repairs become necessary. Good Luck

You buy an S class to keep up with the Jones.

Other than that it is a very nice looking machine with poor quality craftsmanship and reliability.

Take a look at benzworld.com

I would agree that a lot of times they are just status symbols, but I want a '00+ S500 becasue I am 6'4, and I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I test drove one....I pushed the seat all the way back and as low as possible (out of habit since most cars require me to do that to even think about fitting in there.), I plop in, and I'm absolutely speachless that I can't reach the pedals. People over 6'2ish need MBs. Even a '00 E320 I drove had better driver space than my LS 400. I wish Lexus would spend $50 extra on extra seat and steering wheel (telescoping) track to allow extra travel for tall drivers. It's a shame....I have to pick B comfort and A+ reliability (Lexus) or A++ comfort and D quality (MB). The current S class is simply a gorgeous machine, and I've always loved the way that Mercedes cars feel very heavy on the road.

I'd say go for it because they are very beautiful looking cars (inside and out) and are really loaded. As what Blake said, they are very roomy inside. Definitely check other Mercedes-Benz forums if you haven't done so already. Be sure to let us know on what S-Class you decide or vehicle (if you change your mind).

ty in advance

I had a 2003 S600 and didn't like it very much. Not worth the $120 i spent for the thing in 2004. It's all name, no game.

Thats why i came over to Lexus forum :unsure:

Have been Mb fan for a long time and had most of their models. The 2000 and later Mercedes are just too much Chyrsler. Not a authentic MB anymore to alot of die hard MB fans.

But if you have a chance to own a S klass and never did, i say Go for it! You will find something you will never be found in a Lexus :)

Thats why i came over to Lexus forum  :unsure:

Have been Mb fan for a long time and had most of their models. The 2000 and later Mercedes are just too much Chyrsler. Not a authentic MB anymore to alot of die hard MB fans.

But if you have a chance to own a S klass and never did, i say Go for it! You will find something you will never be found in a Lexus  :)

I agree 100%. The newer models don't seem to be as...how do i put it...high quality as they used to be. Still wonderful cars, but not worth the money...you could get 2 LS430's for the price of 1 S600.

I'm just not a Mercedes guy. LOL. In my opinion Lexus' are much niver then Mercedes or BMW. Pretty soon i will be selling my 745Li, considering i hardly ever drive it, and i could use the space in the garage.

I'm just not a Mercedes guy. LOL. In my opinion Lexus' are much niver then Mercedes or BMW. Pretty soon i will be selling my 745Li, considering i hardly ever drive it, and i could use the space in the garage.

What? No room in the 7 car garage already???!!! LOL. I barely can park my 4Runner in the 3rd spot in our garage. Poor ole 250 has to stay outside. :cries:

I suggest buying a S class if you like to drive Mercedes loaner cars. My neighbor had a 2001 S500, and once every 2 weeks, he'd have a new Benz. I'd go over to ask him about it, and he'd sigh and reply "it's another rental."

But if you have a chance to own a S klass and never did, i say Go for it! You will find something you will never be found in a Lexus  :)

I'll agree with that. I think Lexus is a better car, but a Mercedes is something everyone who likes luxury cars should own once in their lifetime. I'll get one someday I'm sure...

Plenty of life left though lol

Mercedes Benz is not really that bad compares to BMW and English cars. They are even worse... had a 740iL before, and thats my last BMW. New engine needed at 110,000 KM only. and PHEW! my warrenty still have like 1000 km left. It cost more than $12,000 CAD for the engine swap, the engine was ordered from Germany. BMW stuff can't be fix, they all have to be replace the whole thing if they don't work, and they are very problematic, so do not get a BMW unless you really like them. Land Rover/Range Rover/Masrati same *BLEEP* :D Everytime you go for a oil change, there will be will likely a grand $ more of thing to fix, and it needs to be fix each time. The new BMW ain't any better... If you really like BMW, i suggest you to lease them like BMW suggest you to. Look at the Mini customer reviews... 10/10 !Removed! on their reliability and problems. I can't believe BMW group would use a cheapo Daimler Chrylser 1.6 Neon engine on a premium compact Copper... These days, really except Honda and Toyota are not messedup... Just my 2 cents... Hope i didn't offened anyone because if you speak that sharp on some other places, you'll be likely be flame by some jack@$$. :o

well i have my mind set on it...and who could go rong to buy a car at 50% off...dont believe me? go to ebay motors.com and type in s500....youll get used cars with only 20k miles on it for 50k...still havnt bought one yet

Maybe you should consider why they are "50%" off in the first place.

While style and grace are Mercedes' strong points, deprecaition and maitnence factors are not.

;)

They don't actually sell for 50% off. Few S classes sell for $100,000 or above an S500 with 20k thats sold for $50k probably cost $83k or so new, so its more like 40% off. Thats pretty typical for that price points, LS's sell about the same.

those werent figures i presented were just an estimate and were not accurate and that is a very good point u made...91lexus

I find that prices vary depending on where they are being sold. Dealers are usually very high, private sellers are very low, and ebay is all over the place!! LOL

I swear you could make thousands buying cars on ebay for a lot less than they're really worth, then selling them for a better price.

those werent figures i presented were just an estimate and were not accurate and that is a very good point u made...91lexus

No problem, just trying to help you out. I would not know about thier performance or how durable they are, because I have never owned one (but have driven one). But please don't let my opinion of how I've seen them perform persuade you to not get one, as Mercedes's are amazing cars, just expensive to upkeep.

While all of the suggestions and opinions here are great, towards wether you get a Benz or not, I believe that the decision is ultimately yours. You will be the one driving and taking care of it. Someone else may have had a bad experience with their Mercedes, but don't let a lemon "sour" your buying experience.

Even after recommendations by others and research done by yourself, you should pick the car that fits your budget, you feel comfortable with driving and owning, and the necessary measures to keep the car in "tip-top" shape, etc.

Good luck. :)

• 4 months later...

Again, I agree 100%. The newest Mercedes are nothing but Chryslers in disguise.

In my opinion, the last year that good S-Class Mercedes was in 1991. The 1992s and newer are built like bank vaults too, but have too many problems. My aunt has a 95' Mercedes S500 or S600 (I think it is the 500), which has suprisingly been a good car, save for A/C problems.

However, I have heard a lot of bad stories about the 92+ models. The 91' models, which date back to 1981 are pretty reliable cars and built like bank vaults- not too many issues with them, but you have to watch out for air suspension problems on the 1986 and newer 560SEL models. As with many cars of this age (81-91) they will have some issues and being a Mercedes, expect high repair/parts costs. They are pretty simple to work on by today's standards too.

I know we are talking about newer Mercedes here, but I would like to mention a little about the older models. I have always wanted a Mercedes, but could never find one I wanted. I was also hesitant to buy one, because I knew of the high parts costs/repair costs. I do not really like any of them beyond 1991. Actually, the 1985 and older S-Class sedans and coupe have always been my favorite models.

I have owned a lot of cars and always wanted a OLDER 80s model Mercedes, but have waited a long time. I like the classic styling of the 81-85 models. They were way ahead of their time in 1981-85.

After years of hesitating the purchase of a Benz, I finally did it last week and bought a 1985 380SE sedan @ an exceptional deal. For 85', there were three S-Class models: the 300SD (diesel), the 380SE (gas V8) and the 500SEL (gas V8), which was the same body style as the 300SD and 380SE, but on a longer wheelbase and a larger engine and of course, the 500SEC coupe, which was a beautiful and $$$$$ (around $65,000-$70,000) car back in 1985. Also, not to forget the 380SL convertible in 85' which became the 560SL in 86', with the 5.6L V8.

So far, I love the car I bought. It is a 4,100 lb. car and it drives like a sports car, but rides as soft as a Cadillac. One thing someone cannot deny is German car handling. Suprisingly, everything works, except for the rear driver window, pretty amazing for a 20 year old car with 263K. It was a 2-owner, garaged and well kept car, which is probably part of it. Original paint is a little faded, but no rust (normal for a southern car here) and the interior is excellent. If not for being easy to service, I would not have bought it. I would not buy a newer Mercedes (92+), because they are too complex and very $$$$ to maintain. If you get a new one with a warranty, you are fine.

Another neat thing about Mercedes, is that you have LIFETIME, FREE roadside assistance. No matter how old the car is, no matter the mileage, no matter how many owners it has had, you get free roadside assistance. If you run out of gas, get a flat, or dead battery, they will take care of it for you.

I know this is a old thread- not sure of you bought the car or not. Hope you have had good luck if you did.

Thats why i came over to Lexus forum  :unsure: