What The Heck Is The Difference

millburn

I'm still confused!

I always thought that the moonroof was just a stationary window in the roof and the sunroof is a retractable window. I may be confused too !!! LOL :cheers:

They both perform pretty much the same function anyways so who cares?:whistles: :blink: ;) Whether you call it one or the other, people will know what your talking about. I always call it a Moonroof myself. B)

If it's the daytime, it's called a Sunroof, at night....a Moonroof so it's both. :whistles: :lol:

:cheers:

Good point.

Perhaps this is one of those questions that doesn't have an answer. Like, what is the meaning of life? Or, what came first, the chicken or the egg? And finally, what in the heck is the difference between a SUNroof and a MOONroof?

Perhaps we'll never know the real answer. Although I'd sure like to know.

Good point. 

Perhaps this is one of those questions that doesn't have an answer.  Like, what is the meaning of life? Or, what came first, the chicken or the egg? And finally, what in the heck is the difference between a SUNroof and a MOONroof?

Perhaps we'll never know the real answer.  Although I'd sure like to know.

The difference is clearly day and night :lol::cheers:

Here is are definitions from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonroof

"A sunroof is a cutout in a car's (or truck's) roof that can be opened to provide fresh air and sun to the people inside. A sunroof can be made of the same metal as the rest of the roof, or it can be made of plastic and transparent (usually tinted), in which case it is customarily referred to as a moonroof. Moonroofs have a sliding shade in the interior that can be retracted, and were invented by the American Sunroof Company."

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Sunroof_Company

"ASC invended the glass-panel "moonroof", both inward- and outward-folding soft convertible tops, and modern retractable hardtops. In the industry, ASC became well known for converting standard coupe automobiles into convertibles on an OEM basis. The company also engineers convertible tops for automakers to build themselves. Other original-equipment firsts for ASC include the mobile video system (on the Chevrolet Venture) and the powered sunroof."

A moonroof is a variation of a sunroof. It can also be called an internally sliding sunroof. It is a glass or steel panel that retracts fully back into the headliner and not outside the car. Moonroofs usually also have another internal panel which can be used to completely close off light if desired.

The sunroof is an umbrella term for all types. The most general sunroof is the pop up and that pops up in the back manually to allow air out. There are also top-sliding and tilt and slide sunroofs, and more too.

Lot's of subtle differences so you can see why everyone is confused.

Here is are definitions from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonroof

"A sunroof is a cutout in a car's (or truck's) roof that can be opened to provide fresh air and sun to the people inside. A sunroof can be made of the same metal as the rest of the roof, or it can be made of plastic and transparent (usually tinted), in which case it is customarily referred to as a moonroof. Moonroofs have a sliding shade in the interior that can be retracted, and were invented by the American Sunroof Company."

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Sunroof_Company

"ASC invended the glass-panel "moonroof", both inward- and outward-folding soft convertible tops, and modern retractable hardtops. In the industry, ASC became well known for converting standard coupe automobiles into convertibles on an OEM basis. The company also engineers convertible tops for automakers to build themselves. Other original-equipment firsts for ASC include the mobile video system (on the Chevrolet Venture) and the powered sunroof."

Okay, so let me get this straight. I used to own a Land Rover and it had a clear roof that would electronically retract out side of the vehicle. Conversly, my ES300 has a clear roof that electronically retracts into the roof of the car. Did my Land Rover have a Moonroof or Sunroof? Does my ES300 have a Moonroof or a Sunroof?

Here is what dictionary.com had to say:

Sunroof -- Definition: A roof on a motor vehicle, such as an automobile, having a panel that can be slid back or raised.

Moonroof -- Definition: a permanent window on the roof of a vehicle. Etymology: after sunroof, which can be opened.

I think DC hit the nail on the head even though nobody else mentioned it. 

During the DAY it is a sunroof

At NIGHT it is a moonroof

Compliments , Back in the day when they first were doing van conversions the moonroof was a stationary tinted window on the roof, Then they made the window slide to the rear of the vehichle and thus named the sunroof. I am going back 30 years at least. :lol: Come to think of it the first sunroof that I remember tilted up. Oh well !!!!