Check Engine Light

Sheesh...40k is starting to get rough on the ES...

Check Engine light is on and its going back in the shop next week after extensive repairs two weeks ago.

I'm sure its just an O2 sensor but still...

We stopped by Lexus of Rockville today on our way out to buy some drapes (whoopie) to see if there were any RX400hs on the lot (dealer was closed) and there was a brand new dark blue LS430 sitting there and I said to my fiance "You know...I bet the check engine light's not on in that!"

For some reason she didnt see the logic. I say better to get the LS430 before the ES is out of warranty right! It has been a great car, but not perfect and I will buy an extended warranty before the 4/50 runs out and thats rapidly approaching.

You know...since I'm buying the warranty anyways, might as well apply that $2000 to a new LS and get the FACTORY warranty!!! It only makes sense...

Somehow she doesn't agree. Spouting all this stuff about "paid for" and "no car payment". I say bor-ring! Women :wacko:

there was a brand new dark blue LS430 sitting there and I said to my fiance "You know...I bet the check engine light's not on in that!"

LOL That's great! :lol: That's funny...I was comming back from a short trip, and stopped at the dealer too. I got a good look at the new GS and sat in an ES330 briefly--the dimensions weren't too bad(not that much smaller than my LS)-I could see how it would be doable for me if it had the power pedals, and the seats!!! They were out of this world! I'd buy the car just for the seats. Plus, it was beige! :wub: A really nice car!

You talking about the ES?

Yeah its a really nice car, especially for the money. The current one is a lot closer in interior room and feel to the LS than the older ones, you should drive one.

Just stopped by today, bad 02 sensor like I thought its being fixed Wed. morning.

Let me guess, P0135: Bank 1 Sensor 1. I got that too at about 40k.

My service manager said the 2002-2003s had a large batch of O2 sensors that failed prematurely (around 40k) but it is during warranty.

steviej

We stopped by Lexus of Rockville today on our way out to buy some drapes (whoopie) to see if there were any RX400hs on the lot (dealer was closed) and there was a brand new dark blue LS430 sitting there and I said to my fiance "You know...I bet the check engine light's not on in that!"

For some reason she didnt see the logic. I say better to get the LS430 before the ES is out of warranty right! It has been a great car, but not perfect and I will buy an extended warranty before the 4/50 runs out and thats rapidly approaching.

You know...since I'm buying the warranty anyways, might as well apply that $2000 to a new LS and get the FACTORY warranty!!! It only makes sense...

Somehow she doesn't agree. Spouting all this stuff about "paid for" and "no car payment". I say bor-ring! Women :wacko:

did you say dark blue!! ;)

Sheesh...40k is starting to get rough on the ES...

Check Engine light is on and its going back in the shop next week after extensive repairs two weeks ago.

I'm sure its just an O2 sensor but still...

40k is just the begining!! LOL Wait until you see the probs near 60k Hehe

I havent heard anything from ES owners that would make me think I'll continue to have problems. The 02 sensor is common and easily fixed and the steering rack was just a fluke.

I'd wait till the next generation LS comes out.......& consider the AWD option if it's offered.....that way, your winter traction woe's should be kept to a minimum lol :lol: ;)

:cheers:

Hi guys, Apparently the Oxygen sensor is a common problem for Lexus'. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could buy an oxygen sensor for a cheap price. A guy at Autozone told me that it runs around $450 for a small :censored: sensor, and that's just insane. :cries: don't wanna spend that much. any idea's?

thanks in advance

I'd wait till the next generation LS comes out.......& consider the AWD option if it's offered.....that way, your winter traction woe's should be kept to a minimum lol  :lol:    ;)

:cheers:

I'm going to wait and at least get a good idea of what its going to look like/what its going to have. Then if for some reason I dont like it I can always pick up one of the last 06 models. I plan to drive that car for a long time so its worth it to wait and make sure I wont get burned when the new model comes out.

RX99- You can always try a wrecking yard.

A guy at Autozone told me that it runs around $450 for a small  :censored: sensor, and that's just insane.  :cries: don't wanna spend that much. any idea's?

thanks in advance

That guy doesn't know what he's talking about! I bought one for my ES a few months ago for a PO135, and it was less than $100 at AutoZone(I think it was a Bosch. I usually buy OE, but we needed the sensor then and there). Here's a link where you can a Lexus O2 sensor for $115. Click here

Steve,

Going back to the earlier statement that your wife made about

the payments issue, like it or not, she is right. I like nice things also,

but I can tell you, it is a luxury not having any car/truck payments.

It is simple, $500, $600, etc. a month for 5-6+ years is a lot of money. ;)

LexKid, is this experience with a previous 2002+ ES talking or just speculation?

I have 58k and the O2 sensor was the last non scheduled maint item I had to go to the dealer for.

steviej

Hello,

I am just wondering, what's make O2 sensor go fail?

There are so many people have that problem.

Thanks,

As indicated on the previous posts there was probably a bad batch of O2 sensors that went into the cars in '02-'03. I had my '95 ES for 9 years and nearly 100K before the first O2 sensor went bad. There were three on that car and I only had to replace one.

Not 100% up on it, but I would also think that emissions standards on newer vehicles are more stringent than older ones and its possible that O2 sensors have gone through some redesign and tuning since '95 making them more sensitive to these new requirements.

As to what causes them to go bad... over time I would think that enough deposits from the exhaust gasses build up on them, excessive heat, continuous cycles of cold/hot/cold/hot, etc will certainly wear on any electrical component (not to mention cause the wires to turn extremely brittle).

Well, its all fixed.

I dont understand Lexus service pricing. Had it not been for the warranty the 02 sensor installed would have cost me...$149...

When an oil change costs $250...

And the steering rack cost $4000....

I just dont get it...

But, she's all better now. Seems a little smoother but thats probably just in my head.

ford- Oh, and the payments on my ES were $500 a month, the LS would be closer to $1200.

Hello,

I am just wondering, what's make O2 sensor go fail?

There are so many people have that problem.

Thanks,

As indicated on the previous posts there was probably a bad batch of O2 sensors that went into the cars in '02-'03. I had my '95 ES for 9 years and nearly 100K before the first O2 sensor went bad. There were three on that car and I only had to replace one.

Not 100% up on it, but I would also think that emissions standards on newer vehicles are more stringent than older ones and its possible that O2 sensors have gone through some redesign and tuning since '95 making them more sensitive to these new requirements.

As to what causes them to go bad... over time I would think that enough deposits from the exhaust gasses build up on them, excessive heat, continuous cycles of cold/hot/cold/hot, etc will certainly wear on any electrical component (not to mention cause the wires to turn extremely brittle).

Because, I have 97 ES300 with 142,000. NOOOO Problem with O2 sensor.

But i use 93 Octane.

ford- Oh, and the payments on my ES were $500 a month, the LS would be closer to $1200.

$1200 :blink:

hahahahah, you were gonna do it, weren't you? :D

I guess your other half is a pretty smart businesswomen, wouldn't you say? :whistles:

steviej