Brake actuator problem: 2017 LS 460 AWD

Hello,

I have a 2017 LS 460 AWD with a brake actuator problem. My local Lexus dealership has been great working with me on this issue; within the last six months, they replaced the brake actuator twice and bled the brakes multiple times, per the guidance of Lexus (Corporate) Engineers and the TSB that applies to this situation. To my knowledge, there is no recall or actual fix yet for the brake actuator problem (thud noise when applying the brakes at lower speeds). 

If anyone has any recommendations and/or fixes, I will provide to my Lexus dealership for possible remedy of this ongoing issue. Standing by if additional info is needed from my end to help with a remedy. 

Thank you,

Tom 

I have read the same - There is no actual fix for this problem. Apparently, Lexus has revised the actuator more than once, yet have not been successful in permanently fixing the problem. I wonder if your dealership would loan you a car to use until a fix is designed. 

Good evening,

Thank you… it’s unfortunate b/c the vehicle is fantastic and I don’t understand how the issue was not fixed  years ago as 2017 was the last model year for that LS 460 generation.

They have provided a loaner when it was in, but I highly doubt a loaner until a fix is designed b/c of the uncertainty of the fix and timeframe…  

In the interim, I will be working with the dealership to address front seat vibrations at various speeds; i.e.: 35-40mph and around 60-65mph. New tires and road force balance performed, so I am thinking it could be the driveline and/or some other issue. Maybe there’s an issue with the rear axle? No vibration with the steering wheel and drives straight as an arrow…

If anyone has anything to share, I will bring it with me to the Lexus dealership next week.

Thank you,

Tom 

More than a few of the 2016 model year LS460s have had suspension issues which include issues with one or more of the following (if applicable to this model):
Shocks or struts
ball joints
Tie rods
wheel bearings
alignment
Steering linkage
power steering pumps and hoses
wheel balance
springs or torsion bars
bushings
electronic or air suspension

A good alignment shop technician can pinpoint trouble areas, as this type of person has likely troubleshooted many vehicles with similar problems.

Thank you; I appreciate the information. I have an appointment for a test drive with the Lexus dealership/shop foreman next week. I assume that if he experiences the vibration in the seats then the dealership will be on board with looking further into my vehicle/situation. My vehicle is still covered under the certified pre-owned warranty. 

Do you have any information that is more specific or just present the aforementioned issues (you addressed in your last post) and see where they go with it?

I would let them look underneath to see if they can determine the root cause. Odds are that at least one of the aforementioned possibilities is causing the issue. Then again, they may have seen a particular issue in other customers' LS 460s that caused the same issues.

• 2 months later...

Bought a 2017ls with 10k 2 years ago. After two visits for grabby brakes they said was normal, the actuator started chirping. FYI,  I recognized it immediately since my 2007 needed a new actuator at 40k. Both were covered under extended warrantee and now CPO warranty 

3 months later 36k, my actuator just started chirping again. Making an appointment to take it in today.. Still under CPO warrantee

hoping they don't give me a hard time. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello, 

I am following up to see if anyone has had any type of success with fixing the brake click noise on a 2017 LS 460 AWD? In reference to my previous post, the Lexus dealership has replaced the actuator several times; replaced the accumulator once; multiple brake flushes. When they performed the brake flush, they did not use the BG (or similar) machine and did not do a power flush.

Since I still have the brake click noise, I’m wondering if a power flush then refill with dot 3 (or whatever is recommended) will solve the issue? Just throwing a dart here, but maybe the issue is nitrogen getting in the accumulator?

Thank you, Tom