Leather Tips?

KMan

for some reason when i put it on my seats i have to buff it in because theres like spots everywere but once i buff it in its great.maybe im not using the right stuff but it says pure coco butter and its solid.maybe i leave it in the sun to long.lol

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im going to do that tomorrow.i will let you know how it turns out.i bet im probably not putting enough on the seats thats why it spots.i will use my hands and rub alot into them and see what happens.i still love the way they come out with the coco butter regardless.also smells great too.my gs is at the dealer getting a tune up and a new water pump.cant beleave it went already but 49,000 miles i guess it happens sometimes.im not sure if there doing the timing belt yet but probably they are.good thing is its all under warrentee so im glad to get it done now instead of later.

i also read a few things about replacing the pully too.should that be done or dont worry about it?it only has 49,000 miles on it so i doubt any pullys are bad.it started making the grinding sound the other day and i checked and seen it was the water pump but couldnt tell if any pully needed replacment.

Anybody else (especially those of you with the black leather), have problems with the seams stretching on the tops of the rear bench, as the leather loses its moisture? I've tried many things to try to soften the leather up there, including "baking" 2 jars of Hide Food in on sunny days. I've noticed (from parking lots and cars on eBay) that cars with the beige seats don't seam to suffer from this problem the way the cars with the black seats do. The rest of the car looks good, I've been using Lexol, Meguiars Gold Class, and Mother's leather conditioners on a regular basis.

well black will absob the suns heat more

than a lighter colour

if the co co butter is not available at a local supply store

go to a store that sells black skin products

as i first found from one of my friends who suffers from dry elbows knees and hands

these stores often sell weaves and other products directedcted to the community and usually have very good products that are hard to find elsewhere

Has anyone used the Dri Wash & Guard leather treatment stuff?

Regarding the "Cocoa Butter Bake" - forgive my ignorance but do the car doors need to be open while the stuff sets in? :blushing:

Or can I just apply it while the car is parked in a sunny spot and let it sit in for a couple hours - ?

Thanks! :)

Damn it! We dont have wal mart here. And the guys at kmart just gave me the "kmart blank stare" when I asked them... :chairshot:

lol!i hate kmart!they do the same to me anytime you need help.thats if you can even find someone to help you.

Anybody else (especially those of you with the black leather), have problems with the seams stretching on the tops of the rear bench, as the leather loses its moisture? I've tried many things to try to soften the leather up there, including "baking" 2 jars of Hide Food in on sunny days. I've noticed (from parking lots and cars on eBay) that cars with the beige seats don't seam to suffer from this problem the way the cars with the black seats do. The rest of the car looks good, I've been using Lexol, Meguiars Gold Class, and Mother's leather conditioners on a regular basis.

i have black also and yes it seems hard to keep mine moisturized also.i use the coco butter all the time but even that only goes so far for me.i keep getting spots that are dry and spots the are moist and cant seem to keep it all moist.crazy

Okay, I was SOLD on the cocoa butter idea until I went to W-Mart and pondered all the possibilities. Pure cocoa butter does not seem to exist. In fact, I know people who use cocoa butter on their skin, but it is usually a combo product. WalMart had Queen Helene COCOA BUTTER SOLID which seemed as close to your description. I read the ingredients which start with mineral oil and petroleum then cocoa butter and fragance further down the line. Is this what you cocoa butter fans are referring to?

I tried Lexol and the above cocoa butter on my beige leather seats. They are in pretty good shape but definately show some signs of drying out. AND the top of the back seats are shriveled from overexposure to sun. After trying both, I can't really say that either the Lexol or the cocoa butter has made a big difference, although I feel better! Perhaps it needs a few more treatments.

try them a few more tiems

especially if they are dry to rejuvinate there moisture

i would love to hear the results on a head to head

and yah tat is the right stuff you got

don't remember the name but it has a woman in caibean parade clothing

Just applied a generous amount of coco butter solid on my beige seats. My hand is scalded from applying the stuff yto the hot leather .... but like u guys said, it just melts on contact and it was pretty easy to apply .... did the entire car in 10 minutes ..... waiting for some time before buffing the seats ..... :rolleyes: feel real good about them seats .... Will be doing wifey's car after it gets back from the shop. (Some nutcase ran into the car in the parking lot and didn't even leave an insurance card :angry: )

Read this post yesterday and made the Walmart trip at midnight to get the stuff ..... queen helene coco butter solid ..... $3.88 + tax in Atlanta

well more later .....

ok i am going to guess what you would like to know

it is amazing stuff

if you can find it

can get a bit preicey but the container lasts a while

it can be used to wash the car but

i use it instead of drying it

so i basically power wash the car then soap

then drive

to air dry

and leave it to water spot

an hour later i use the dri wash to remove water spots

and presto it looks perfect,water spots gone ad the paint (especially if a dark colour looks great) as it has optical enhancers( i don't know what it is but it works)

i also can use thoses red shaggy dust wands after to remove the dust than rewash it

only down side is it collects alot of dust, compared to after a regualr wash

if yo want more ifo start a new thread with tdri wash as the header as this leather one will lose this point for info as it is already 2 pages

so on this whole topic of coco butter, i went to walmart...... all i could find was 2 kinds:

one with some weird design on it (pure coco butter..but had TONS of ingredients that i couldn't even comprehend) and then Palmers coco butter...... about 5-6 bucks for 9 oz..... didn't know if either was what i was looking for, but got Palmers.....i tore up an old towel and tried it out.....only did the back seats since the front have seat covers...

unfortunately, it is getting dark....so i am hoping it will just cook tomorrow morning adn i can put more on when i get up.

as for the covered seats, my dad said its just the sun that ruins em, so can i wait on those or should i do em just as often (i mean, they are gettin wear and tear from my butt being on them).

also, any recommendations on the dash? armoral blinds the HECK outta me..can't see a darn thing when im trying. (sun reflects on the dash and then into the windshield...one big blind set up)

basically, anything that isnt too damn shiney?

Unfortunately, now that you've used Armor All you're going to have to keep on using it. Armor All is one of the worst car care products out there, and it drys and cracks plastics, if you stop using it. My advice is to find some lower gloss Armor All.

You might want to try Refresh by 3M. It's lower gloss than Armor All, has UV protectants, and probably better for the vinyl dash. It's what I use. It also claims to be safe for leather, I put it on the top of my rear bench after I'm done conditioning as a UV protectant.