How Does One Clean The Egr Pipe?

deepcdiver

My Check Engine light stays on, need to get it off for smog cert (comes on again afetr disconnecting the battery). Dealer checked it out, sensors and EGr valve OK, said the EGR pipe needs cleaning. Sounds like someting I should be able to do

myself, but how???

Thanks for the info, guess I'll bite the bullet and take it in, I'm such a cheap *BLEEP* :chairshot:

You need a MotorVac to clean out the clogged EGR pipe. You're going to have to bring it to a shop to have it done, unless you have one of these at home (which I doubt).

I was as well.... at least until I bought this Lexus. I don't much like spending the money but since I don't have any car payments I guess it isn't too bad. Then I drive it on the Interstate and know it is all worth the price. I have fixed a lot of things on this car from stuff I learned here.

You don't have to remove it from the vehicle. Just hook up the pressure and return lines of the MotorVac and it cleans the engine using detergents/fuel. Cleans O2S, spark plugs, ports, valves, injector housings, cats & EGR. It's like $100 at most shops around here...well worth the money though.

92Lex,

I've been looking for a shop that does MotorVac in Phoenix metro with no success. Is this something done at a repair shop? or is it done at an oil lube? It seems that some mechanics have no idea what MotorVac is. any ideas on how to find a MotorVac :)

You don't have to remove it from the vehicle. Just hook up the pressure and return lines of the MotorVac and it cleans the engine using detergents/fuel. Cleans O2S, spark plugs, ports, valves, injector housings, cats & EGR. It's like $100 at most shops around here...well worth the money though.

wow, it cleans all of that for 100 bucks? man i'm gonna do that, that sounds like a maintence must......do you know of a general auto chain that does that procedure

wow, it cleans all of that for 100 bucks? man i'm gonna do that, that sounds like a maintence must......do you know of a general auto chain that does that procedure

Man,

I'm with you Silvermate!!! :cheers: $100 and it does all that.............crazy good! I mean, you don't have to take anything apart :lol: ---it's a dream come true :lol::lol:

I had a motorvac service done on my ES300 at a Toyota dealer(something like $120), and I thought it was the biggest waste of money ever. I got my car back, and it ran/functioned the exact same way. No improvements anywhere. My car was dealer maintained for almost all of its life, so maybe that had something to do with it. RW and Silver-I know how you guys keep on top of things, so I wouldn't be suprised if yall got the same lack of results I did.

Also, there are several componets to the EGR system. I seriously doubt that the dealer checked every one of them as there are several and are not that easy to check-not doable in the 1 hour diag. they typically give. I had a cel that was giving "excessive egr flow" after changing about 5 parts of the EGR system, I finally found the defective componet(Vacuum Switching Valve- VSV).

:cheers:

On another forum with Toyota Mastertechs I asked if Motorvac was a gimmick or

a good thing. They said it was OK for partially clogged fuel injectors and also a good profit making device for dealers, BUT with regard to the EGR system they said, quote: "MotorVac will NOT clear out an EGR passage that is clogged shut."

Have you tried Drano? Run the car down until you have only a 1/2 tank of gas and then add a quart of Professional strength Drano to the fuel tank. ...works great for fuel injectors too! :chairshot:

...oh no, I've been drinking again... "Argghhh, matey!", said the pirate. :pirate:

• 4 months later...
Hahaha. When I started to read that post I was thinking "wtf, they make Drano for cars?"

I've been doing a little drinkin tonight myself..hahha.

i was told to get mine cleaned out to/ ported, and replace the VSV, how much does this cost for just the vsv valve, and what does the high code 51 mean when refering to air ride suspension. they said that operating relay was over-operating, WTF. thanks for all the advice, later,

THE SNAKE

92 LS400

I haven't been told to do anything with mine yet. I just know I've got an error code 71 causing the check engine light to come on. All signs point to the EGR system, but how do I determine whether it's the EGR Valve, Modulator, VSV, or what? Do I just go one by one replacing each component hoping to eventually get to the troublemaker?

I have inspected the modulator and the filter is nasty and definitely needs replacing, so I guess I'll just start there, but what next if that doesn't solve my problem?

Anyone??

One other idea...I have reason to believe my steering rack may be leaking, possibly near the O2 sensor(s). Is it possible that situation could cause faulty O2 sensor operation, thereby causing a misdiagnosed EGR system malfunction? Just a thought...