Oil Types.... What You Use?

mkassab

I change oil a lot. For the LS430, I plan to change at 1000 miles and then on the 5k's there after using a high quality synthetic oil. I'm considering Mobil 1, Amsoil and Redline..... Any input from anyone? Based on all my research, I'm leaning towards Amsoil. Also, one other point, why wouldn't Lexus put synthetic in this car? BMW, MB, etc. does and I can't figure why Lexus wouldn't in a high end car like the LS430 :wacko:

Mark

I change oil a lot. For the LS430, I plan to change at 1000 miles and then on the 5k's there after using a high quality synthetic oil. I'm considering Mobil 1, Amsoil and Redline..... Any input from anyone? Based on all my research, I'm leaning towards Amsoil. Also, one other point, why wouldn't Lexus put synthetic in this car? BMW, MB, etc. does and I can't figure why Lexus wouldn't in a high end car like the LS430 :wacko:

Mark

Yea, look at some threads.

Good move doing your oil :cheers: ------and congrats on a super vehicle!!

You can do the tranny fluid too..........even easier than an oil change.

On a side note......the Lexus dealers in KC now use synthetic for their oil changes. I don't know if its standard procedure, but I think so.

I've always used Amsoil - I like it. But, will probably change over to Mobil One cause I can get it much cheaper. Both good products.......

I have not heard anything bad regarding Royal Purple engine oil, but on the other hand... I have not heard that much good either! I've done much research withsupporting documentation on Mobil 1, Redline and Amsoil. I'm going the Amsoil path.

Today's oils are all so good it is probably hard to pick a bad on staying with major brands.

But the biggest reason engines last as long as they do is due to computer controlled fuel injection. Old cars have washed the cylinders and bearings with excess fuel for years. That's the single most important reason they didn't live long.

Today's quickie oil changes have people trained to change their oil often. And if they hopefully put the oil drain plug back in, you're in good shape with most any oil.

The oil I use is Chevron 10-40. The reason I use that oil in all of my highway vehicles (except my diesel truck) is because I build engines and have seen many totally abused chevys run that oil and at 150,000 miles there was no measureable wear I could find in the cylidners or crankshaft. The engines were very clean with no sludge.

So I went to that oil over 10 years ago. My Toyota has 150,000 miles on it and never been touched as were all of my former vehicles.

Mobil 1, amsoil all good oils. I just don't do synthetics because I have never seen a reason to.

Be sure to use a quality oil and air filter. The quickie oil change places use the cheapest filters they can. Genuine Toyota filters, Napa,Wix, Baldwin are all good filters.

Like siad above...Fram's quality is highly questionable. But like WD40...their marketing is great.

Best thing you can do for you Lexus is change the oil yourself. Engine hot. Let it ALL drain. And fill the new filter with oil when you put it on.

I use Mobil One's 5w30 Super Syn usually a Toyota filter but went with a K&N this time(I didn't think about changing the oil until Sunday, so the Toyota dealership was closed, and Discount Auto finally had my filter from K&N, so I decided to give it a try.) on my '95 LS4 with 234, 8xx. Despite my mileage, my LS doesn't consume a drop of oil! B)

:cheers:

Using anything but synthetic is out of the question. I use Mobil 1, but Amsoil, Valvoline, Castrol, and Pennzoil are all just about the same. Using convential oil in a Toyota engine is not a good thing.

As to filters? What do you think? I have been using a Fram and been hearing nothing good lately.

Regardless of which oil you use, the best thing you can do to preserve your car is to change your oil yourself and keep you car out of the hands of repair shops and dealers who may have their least skilled employees change fluids.

It is hard to believe how much damage I've seen done to cars by repair shops and dealers. My "favorite" act of stupidity was a "grease monkey" making calls on a customer's cell phone in a 560SL in the lube bay at a Mercedes dealer back in the 1980's when minimum local cell phone rates were 50 cents a minute -- Prestige Motors of Kansas City was virtually ran out of town by its dissatisfied customers.

I have never had anyone change my oil ever since I have been driving. There really isn't all that much to it anyway. Call me a skeptic (however you spell it) but I don't trust anyone else to do it, and to do it right,