Good Year Vs. Michelin

LOVESAN

RX330 has two OEM equipped tires, the Good Year RS-A or Michelin S8.

I got the "Made in Japan" RS-A ones, listed price is $178/each with only 260 treadware.

Michelin on the other hand is "Made in USA" with 400+ in treadware for only $129/each

Why such big difference ? :blink:

Does any one has any compliants on the Michelin tires ? :cheers:

I have an ES300, so I'm not sure if my opinion applies, but I've always been extremely happy with Michelin tires. I always go with the MXVs. In the past I've used them on my Acura Integra and my Nissan Maxima. Currently, I have a sent on my ES300 and I love em!

My 2 cents! :)

It may be the tires compared are apples and oranges. I suspect the Michelins are softer rubber and should perform better. Being softer, they will also wear faster and puncture easier. The Goodyears should meet most peoples daily driving needs and last longer.

I've had both brands and agree there is some ride/noise difference...for me it was marginal but opinions will vary... ride in both at the dealer and see what you think and whether or not it is worth the $. Or just pick the whichever looks best to you. =)

My son has researched tires up the ying yang and swears by Michelin. He says the Michelin carcasses are the ones preferred by recapping companies because of their quality. Also because of the Michelin sidewall construction, they do not heat up as much. Currently I'm running Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my LS430. They have 30k on them and show very little wear. I also have Michelins on my 91 Buick Reatta and my 77 Excalibur with no problems. In the past we have had problems with top of the line Bridgestone, Firestone, Goodrich, and Goodyear tires; generally tread separation and rapid wear. And we rotate, balance and align every 3 to 6 k.

My experiences with Goodyear tires over the past 20 years have collectively taught me to avoid them whenever possible. The last decent Goodyear tire I've had on an SUV was a set of Goodyear Vectors on a Jeep Cherokee in the late 1980s. All other Goodyear tires we've had on our collection of SUVs over the years have resulted in a short tread life, poor handling, and especially poor performance in wet weather (which is dangerous and life-threatening to anyone in the vehicle). During the few times that I've actually custom-ordered an SUV from the manufacturer, I've always included the statement that I will NOT accept any Goodyear tires on my new vehicle when it ships to my dealer.

Michelin builds several well-respected (and premium-priced) SUV tire models these days, but the best bang-for-the-buck and top-rated SUV tire at tirerack.com now is the Yokohama Geolander H/T-S G051. I'll put a set of these on my wife's RX300 late this year when her current Bridgestone Duelers wear out at 42,000 to 44,000 miles (the Bridgestones have been only marginally acceptable). If you're looking for long tread life, good traction in both wet and dry conditions, and you drive mostly on the highway, then this may very well be the best SUV tire choice you can make right now.

On the whole Michelin is a good sturdy quality tire. BUT from the research that I've done and the people that I've talked to a lot of that quality is just hype. Michelin is usually rated 2nd or 3rd in product quality, good but not the best. I've found they usually aren't worth spending the money on with other as good or better tires in each performance class. Take the Michelin MXV4 sedan radial, heralded as the best passenger car tire on the road but in fact the customer satisfaction rate is only about 65%. Other tires like the Toyo Proxes TPT and Dunlop Sp5000 have much higer satisfaction rates, longer treadwear warranties and are half the price.

As for SUV tires though I've had two sets of Michelin LTX M/S on my Explorer and the first set went 100k miles and still had room to go.

Basic thing is like with everything gotta do your research. Goodyear tires however are consistently rated on the bottom of the scale.

to make my long tired, tire story short and sweet:

yes for michelin ltx m/s and yokohama geolander hts go51

maybe for michelin cross terrain ( avoid auto oem tires that michelin dumps on the aftermarket when the contract expires, ie ford explorer 235/70/16. these tires are built to the auto makers specs, and not to michelins. these tires have lower tread wear rating ,420 vs 700, and a different tread design.)

I put Michelin Cross-Terrain on my Rx300. It now drives better than when it was new.

:cheers: yeah, i agree with you all the way bro! i love those Michelin Cross Terrains! good thing my Gx came with Cross Terrains, instead of the Dunlop Grandtreks, or the Bridgestone Dueler. ;)

What exact tire size do you need for your RX? OF all available, the Yokohama Geolander H/T-S G051 are the best choice all around even over the Michelins & FAR less expensive!

2004 RX330's tire size is 235/55/18, although i do like the Michelin over Good year but i don't think Michelin currently makes the size i need with their MXVs :cries:

I have an ES300, so I'm not sure if my opinion applies, but I've always been extremely happy with Michelin tires. I always go with the MXVs. In the past I've used them on my Acura Integra and my Nissan Maxima. Currently, I have a sent on my ES300 and I love em!

I recently spent $1100 on tires for my Corvette and believe it or not, I bought Goodyears! The new Goodyear GSD3s have outperformed the best of Michelin and Bridgestone in a recent test on dry and wet roads and the Goodyears are far less expensive than either of the others.

My point? Don't automatically discount Goodyear as a manufacturer of choice. OEM tires are rarely the best choice, but recent versions can be lightyears ahead of what you were used to. I agree that Michelin rarely makes a bad tire; it's just that they are so darn expensive compared to almost everything else.

The Tire rack does have a ton of info, including ratings from buyers and test results from Tirerack testers themselves. They recommended the Goodyears to me and I couldn't be happier.

Every tire maker makes good & well.....not so good tires in their line up to be sure. Michelin has an excellent name & I had them on my 01 Maxima SE (Pilot Sport A/S). However, compared to some other choices depending on the specific model of car, truck or suv on needs tires for, there are actually quite a few better choices over Michelin out there for far less money. An example (broken record eh guy's?) is the Toyo Proxes TPT's vs. the Michelim MXV4's. The Toyo is equal to & better than the Michelin in a number of categories including wet weather traction, snow traction & handling.......for about 30 - 40% less per tire! Exact same treadwear, traction & temperature ratings. Far better value overall. B)

:cheers:

Anyone tried the Pirelli Scorpion STR A? Some reported an increase in road noise with the geolanders, but I haven't found any noise reports on the Pirelli tire. I currently have Kelly Safari tires (similar to the LTXs) and do like them....and they are holding up quite well with almost 50K on them...a little less than half the tread life left. They are a bit noisy, though.

• 2 weeks later...
What exact tire size do you need for your RX? OF all available, the Yokohama Geolander H/T-S G051 are the best choice all around even over the Michelins & FAR less expensive!

2004 RX330's tire size is 235/55/18, although i do like the Michelin over Good year but i don't think Michelin currently makes the size i need with their MXVs :cries:

Our Japan built 05 RX330 does come with Michelin MXV4 235/55/18.

I'd still go with either the Toyo or Yokohams over the Michelin....just as good a tire (if not better) for much cheaper. :)

Second that! Yoko's are the Best!! I replaced the OEM Duellers with Geolanders and I love my RX more than ever.

For the past 20 years I've driven alot - 30-60,000 miles per year - so ride comfort and quietness is extremely important to me. I've found that Goodyear tires usually soak up the bumps better and ride more quietly than most other brands and Goodyear's all new Comfortred tire is a real standout. Michelins ride a bit too harshly and noisily for me, but they do provide superior cornering capability and overall handling.

• 3 months later...

Our Japan built 05 RX330 does come with Michelin MXV4 235/55/18.

Are you certain those are Michelin MXV4 and not "S8's" ?

I've had good and bad experiences with both Goodyear and Michelin tires. My all time favoite tire was the Goodyear Invicta GL and GA, now discontinued and no longer available. These tires delivered superb bump smothering ride and library like quietness. Not just when new but even when near bald. And superb low rolling resistance for high fuel economy and effortless high speed cruising.

Nothing in the current Goodyear or Michelin line up compares to the Goodyear Invicta GL and GA, but it the Koreans now make a comparable tire so my next set of tires will probably be Hankook (spelling?) tires.

Over the weekend I rented a Camry Solara with Michelin MXV Plus's and the noise level and rolling resistance was a tad too high for my taste, but I was otherwise satisfied with them

I've had good and bad experiences with both Goodyear and Michelin tires.  My all time favoite tire was the Goodyear Invicta GL and GA, now discontinued and no longer available.  These tires delivered superb bump smothering ride and library like quietness.  Not just when new but even when near bald. And superb low rolling resistance for high fuel economy and effortless high speed cruising.

Nothing in the current Goodyear or Michelin line up compares to the Goodyear Invicta GL and GA, but it  the Koreans now make a comparable tire so my next set of tires will probably be Hankook (spelling?) tires. 

Over the weekend I rented a Camry Solara with Michelin MXV Plus's and the noise level and rolling resistance was a tad too high for my taste,  but I was otherwise satisfied with them

The Michelin MXV+ I had a chance to get as a replacement when my ES needed tires.......not a great tire, but no too bad either......the Toyo's I have are much better overall with better traction & a quieter ride & much less expensive. B)

:cheers: