Under The Engine

BG LEX

HEY guys, I was wondering what to do about the plastic cover underneith the engine.. most of the screws fell off so its "saging"

it gives a really cheap look for a LS 400.. i really want to fix it real fast.

Can anyone help me out?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

REGARDS! :(

Hey BG LEX,

Keep the plactic shield. It protects from flying road debris. It is connected to the underside via 3 or 4 (I forgot which) threaded bolt screws. I used the same size ones your license plate is secured with - got them for free from the local Lexus dealer. They're very accomodating about little things like this, they want your loyalty so they can haul you in for the big bucks jobs. Take what you can from them if it's free !!!

You want to fix this ASAP or you may 'catch' it on something and rip it right off !

Hey Todd, Nope I havent bottomed out over a curb.. and the car itself is in very very good shape for a 1990 model, so I dont think the previous owner drived it hard enough too loosen the shield.

I think the corrosion from snow, salt, sand, etc. caused it..

I live in Canada where the winters are really horrible.. but thanks for your feedback

and HAMMO.. thanks AGAIN for your very helpful ideas!!

I really appreciate it!

you can get plastic plugs from almost any body shop and some galvanized screws

they only 2 ways i know of it to fall off is an improper reinstall after removed

or someone did indeed curb it

usually those little cement barriers

get it fixed asap

as they are really expensive to replace in the hundreds of dollars

it keep the airflow proper for the rad and wind noise down as well as a splash sheild for valuable electronics

• 4 weeks later...

;) I ran in to the same problem with my LS400 90.

I went to a Sears Hardware and bought the same size metric bolts with a little larger washer. At this tme I bought Stainless steel bolts, they are like 45 cents each.

I have not yet installed the plate, because I have to take care of an oil leak. It might be power steering leaking here.... ;)

You really want to have this shield on. The alternator sits very low and if you even drive in the rain all the water is going to get into it. The last time I had work done at the dealer they forgot to reinstall it and I had to go back. The reason they wear out is that when you change the oil, the shield must be removed. Sometimes people get careless and don't put all 13 10mm screws back in, and sometimes the holes get bigger than the screw heads. What I did was to install large washers through the screws which helps keep everything tight.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem in my 93 lexus. My friend drove it over the curb. I took it to lexus they said it was about 300 dollars with labor to change it. Then i talked directly to the mechanic and he just put in about 7 screws and it was back to new. It still sags a little from the drag, but otherwise its stuck, its not going anywhere. He did it for free, so try to build a relationship with the mechanic.

By the way, when I took my car to the Lexus dealer in Virginia Beach one time, they left the splash shiled off the car. I looked when I got home and it was not there! I took it back and they said "oh, sorry and put it back on. Use care to always check it after you have the oil changed as it must be removed to do so. There are 13 10mm screws, 5 across the front two on each side in the middle and two on each side on the rear. Even if your shield is okay, I would still recommend putting on large washers for support to avoid future problems. This is a very easy DIY project, but you do need the front of the car on ramps. Speaking only for myself, I would never operate the car without the shield as it protects components and keeps your engine clean. Denny

You shouldn't need to cut any hole to drain the oil as the drain plug is accessible. The problem is changing the filter. Speaking only for myself, I always change the filter with each oil change. I also clean the pan every time I change the oil and treat it with some NoTouch tire protector to keep it nice looking. My neighbors think I'm anal but there cars are usually dirty. This helps to identify any small leaks which is a good thing.

Do the oil change guys get mad when they realise they have to remove the cover? I don't want those losers ruining it. Do they charge extra?

It's about the same cost or sometimes cheaper when there is a sale to have your oil change by a garage. I hate having to dump the old oil...Very messy...

I can't say if the oil change dudes get upset about having to remove the splash pan for each oil change because I have always done it myself except for the time the dealer changed it. I told them NOT to change the oil as I had just changed it the week before. They went ahead and did it anyway and then, put in regular oil. As soon as I got home I had to rechange the oil and filter, kinda teed me off. The reason I don't let other people change it, is that I don't trust anybody to do it correctly. Must of the quick change oil guys don't give a damn if they get all the bolts back in (ah, they don't need all of these type of thinking). Then the strain on the remaining bolts causes it to sag. It really sin't too big of a hassle to take it off. To top it off, when you do it yourself, you at least know it's done right! What does bother me is that there isn't any lube nipples on any of the suspension components. I'm afraid I'm not much of a believer in "lifetime lubes." I know on some cars that come without lube nipples, you can install them yourself, but there isn't any way on these cars. To get rid of used oil, just take it to any auto parts store and I think it's some kind of federal law that they have to accept it for free. It is really bad to dump it as it causes serious environmental problems. I live by the Chesapeake Bay and it runs into there eventually and kills the fish I would rather kill myself. Besides, I don't want to eat contaminated fish!

For what it's worth my '91 LS-400 has been sans shield ever since I've had it. No problems, and it's not there to get in the way when I change to oil or want to check under the engine for possible problems.

Stainless steel hardware is an excellent idea. Rather than paying 45-cents a pop for the screws at the local retailer check the yellow pages under fasteners. Most areas have hardware dealers that specialize in screws, bolts, rivets, washers, etc. You'll probably end up paying about $10/100 for the same thing. Another good source for hardware is McMaster Carr Supply Company. They're an ironmonger extraordinaire, online at www.mcmastercarrsupply.com and they now take credit cards. A good thing for the seafaring folks to know too.