How Can I Minimize Wind Rush?

When I'm driving my 92 ES300 over 45-50 mph with all the windows closed I hear a lot of wind rush. Can somebody tell me what I can to do minimize this problem? Thanks.

That was always a problem with the earlier ES's and that's why they finally changed the door insulation design in the '02 ES. Sorry I can't help you but maybe somebody out there came up with a solution. :unsure:

Alan

What happens is the window seal rubber dries and cracks, creating wind gaps. Amf is right about why the ES now is a solid door more or less. Basically the only way to fix this permenantly is to replace the seals, which really isnt that big a deal actually.

I always had this problem with my 1994 Lexus even when it was brand new and the dealer never corrected it! I even read writeups in 1994 about this model having the wind noise problem so I don't think it was caused by dried up insulation. :)

Alan

the solution isn't usually the gasket

press them ,do they feel soft still?

if so then it isn't the gasket at all i learned the hard way i bought new ones for both sides an it was no use

the seal between the glass and gasket is not sealing

using the silicone spray will help alot

the other more permanent way is to have the glass on inside the door adjusted so it is against the gasket again

the biggest problem is people closing the door by the window not the door handle causing it to go out of alignment and causing a leakage of air

also silicone spray the sunroof also and trunk as air will whistle anywhere it can

don't forget the rubber edges around the doors and body

try the silicone first as adjusting the window glass is a pain in the !Removed!

any brand of spry will work no real differences

also i used to use and still do use

meguires endurance tire finish

it keeps the rubber perfect and has a nice slightly tacky feel so it seals even better than the silicone which is thinner and is better for simple edges

• 10 months later...

I have a 1999 ES300 and I recently took this to the dealer to fix my "windrush" issue. It certainly was not a cheap fix and it took about 3 hours to perform. Basically the dealer replaced the upper window seal. the black plastic piece that goes in between the windows and the mirror bracket mount. The ES300's of this era (97-2001) will always have a small amount of windrush due to the frameless design of the windows. This fix that the dealer performed did make a noticeable difference in the amount of windrush i get. I only did this on the driver side. I will be doing the same thing to the passenger's side soon.

did it take 3 hours to replace the gasket or to adjust the windows. If it was just the gasket you got hosed. I removed mine tonight within 3 minutes and replaced it within 10 as it is a tongue and groove fit with pins at the middle and ends.

The ES300's of this era (97-2001) will always have a small amount of windrush due to the frameless design of the windows.

Really? I have never noticed it in mine, a 1997. It's very quiet at highway speeds. My Acura Legend coupe is also a frameless design, and it's almost as quiet as the Lexus. I'll pay more attention to it from now on, I guess...

I guess it's to be expected since the 92 - 01 had the frameless design. I agree you can hear a slight windrush as speed climbs, but nothing at all serious as I can hear the stereo withour having to crank the volume & no problems having a normal conversation with passengers. Actually mine is quieter than my Maxima with the window frame.....go figure. :lol:

:cheers:

The wind noise problem is expected on all pre-'02 ES models. I still get a little wind noise on my '01 ES, but not too much to make me go nuts. I guess the nice thing about the frameless window design is more convenience of entering/exiting the vehicle :D

Skperformance,

I need to replace the window gasket, too. Could you either give more detail on how to remove and install the gasket or provide me a pointer to where I can find such instruction? you really think it's DIY? do you even know how much it costs for 97 ES? thanks alot

For my 94 it only needs to have a new one orderred i think i paid 120 -160 a side ,it was years a go i did it. You basically start at one end and pull it away from the car it will release the plastic plugs and then the rest of the rubber is held in a metal bracket just keep pulling it out. More clips on the back of the A ,B and C pillars just look at the new one to see where they are . It is just the reverse to install. Just feed the tounge and groove rubber back in ,all done in an hour for the first side and 3-5 minutes for the second when you realize how easy it really is.

• 2 weeks later...

I experience the same on 98 ES300, Seems to me two places on driver side as other said: Near Glass and from Door jams. I have tried to treat rubber seals they are soft and don't think seals causing the wind rush.

Lex,

Let me know if you are successful with any of these recommendations. Thanks

When I'm driving my 92 ES300 over 45-50 mph with all the windows closed I hear a lot of wind rush. Can somebody tell me what I can to do minimize this problem? Thanks.

Suggest you clean and polish (wax) the door frame where the seals meet the metal, then use a good protectant on the seals. That should help to dininish the windrush that is apparently inherent in the original design. And turn up the volume on your stereo.

I have to get my passenger front door adjusted as the top of the window is "catching" the moulding when opening & closing the door.......just makes an odd sound & you really notice it when you do it slowly. I just got the windows tinted so I hope the dealership dosen't screw my tint job up whtn they adjust it (under warranty). :blink:

:cheers:

NO NEED TO REPLACE ANYTHINK. FIRST REMOVE THE SIDEVIEW MIRROR,

NEXT SQUEEZE THE TRIANGLE RUBBER WINDOW GUIDE SLIGHTLY

WITH PLIERS TO CLOSE THE GAP ENOUGH SO THE WINDOW WILL

FIT TIGHTLY,NEXT BEFORE REINSTALLING THE MIRROR RUN A SMALL BEED

OF BLACK SILICON ON THE SURFACE THAT THE MIRROR WILL SIT ON ,NEXT

ONCE THE MIRROR IS ON THE CAR, TURN THE BREAKAWAY MIRROR UNITL IT IS AGAINST THE DOOR,FILL THE GAP BETWEEN THE MIRROR HOUSING AND THE ACTUAL MIRROR WITH FELT TAPE.....THIS IS THE ONLY REAL FIX, AND IT IS ONLY A BANDAID UNTIL IT STARTS AGAIN. ALSO DON'T FORGET, ALOT OF THE NOISE IS WIND TURBULANCE BOUNCING OFF OF THE GLASS AND IS NORMAL ON ANY CAR...UNFORTUNATLY YOURS DOES'NT HAVE WINDOW FRAMES TO BLOCK THE NOISE