Decided On Falken Tires

Researching tires for my girl's sc300. Tirerack and Epinions people seemed to like BF Goodrich, Goodyear, said Dunlops didn't wear well. But in the back of my mind I wondered if the posts could be shills from every manufacturer. So I went to the library and got the latest(2003) Consumer Reports info. They do not take any money for ads, so they are fairly trustworthy. They rated the Falken Ziex ZE 512 as their number one, and listed the price at $60 per. I called my local tire man, and he said he has them on both his van as well as his sister's car. The next two tires down the list are Bridgestones(they own Firestone); #2 is the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H, and #3 the Potenza RE950. I called, and they were way more than the mag said, about 120 apiece, around $600+ out the door. Four Falkens out the door will be $299.

Oh, I had never heard of Falkens before, and I am not in any way affiliated with the company.

• 3 weeks later...

Falken tires have been around for quite a while, and we've run a few pairs of them on different vehicles. Never had a problem with them. They're quite a bit cheaper than when they came out also, which was really my only complaint before.

• 2 years later...
Researching tires for my girl's sc300. Tirerack and Epinions people seemed to like BF Goodrich, Goodyear, said Dunlops didn't wear well. But in the back of my mind I wondered if the posts could be shills from every manufacturer. So I went to the library and got the latest(2003) Consumer Reports info. They do not take any money for ads, so they are fairly trustworthy. They rated the Falken Ziex ZE 512 as their number one, and listed the price at $60 per. I called my local tire man, and he said he has them on both his van as well as his sister's car. The next two tires down the list are Bridgestones(they own Firestone); #2 is the Bridgestone Turanza LS-H, and #3 the Potenza RE950. I called, and they were way more than the mag said, about 120 apiece, around $600+ out the door. Four Falkens out the door will be $299.

Oh, I had never heard of Falkens before, and I am not in any way affiliated with the company.

I took off the barely used Falkens on my 1995 SC300 and purchased Bridgestone 950s on Tire Rack's recommendation. The new tires made a world of difference, no more getting sideways in the wet. the Falkens were fine in the dry, but really squirrely in the rain.

• 2 weeks later...

When you get the Falken 512 keep in mind that you should get ones that have at least a V-rating and at least a 93 load rating. The reason why some Falken 512's are so cheap is because they are H-rated with a low load rating. The SC factory tires had a 93V rating so just take note of it when you go tire shopping.

• 3 weeks later...

Try the Falken 451, or newer 452. WAY stickier than the 512/912 series. Excellent in the rain as well.

No affiliation, but try edgeracing.com for the cheapest price on the net! For those with bigger wheels,

try the Hankook RS2. UNBELIEVABLE grip for less than $100 a tire. I've run both on my '85 Porsche Carrera.

I just purchased a '93 SC400, but haven't changed out for bigger wheels yet... Still lookin'!