Free Brake Pads?

Hi Guys;

I read on another Forum that Lexus will change out the brake pads on '05 - '07 IS's if you tell them they create too much dust and you want the less dusty

pads.

This true in your experience?

Thanks... Saddlebum

06 - 08 Yes they will. They have two options, less dust or no squeaking. I chose the latter

Great to know, that black dust is a b*tch. Gonna get my front pads replaced, but I noticed it says not to expect the same performance. Think I should stick w/my current pads? Wonder how much life is left in 'em...

replacement pads work the same. if your pads are too worn, they will NOT replace them for free under the TSIB. The TSIB works like the warranty does--items in need of replacement due to normal wear and tear are not covered.

Went in this morning and complained about the excessive black brake dust, no problems getting them to cover it under warranty. Decided to delay them actually changing them a few weeks - Has anyone noticed an obvious difference in braking performance after having them changed? With the pads that are on right now I find the braking superior to any vehicle I have ever driven.

I had them change mine a while back for the dust issue. I got the new TSIB replacement kit they put together and I actually liked the new pads better. They stop the car just as well as before, but I noticed that they aren't quite as grabby in real slow traffic, and stop and go circumstances. The car more just comes to a nice even stop, where as before the end of the stop seemed to be a bit to much bite. I've had them on the car now for almost a year, and when I get them replaced I want the same pads on again no question. They're also about 99% better in the brake dust issue.

Anyone recall if the dealer turned the rotors during the TSIB change or did they just slap on the new brakes and hand the car back? Normally they turn the rotors on any brake job, but not sure about the TSIB case.

The 2008 IS250's are covered under TSIB since September 24th, 2008. I'll find the TSB and post. I called my local Lexus Dealer (Kearny Mesa Lexus in San Diego) and they were clueless as usual when it came to being up to speed with TSIB's. I have 18,000 miles on my 2008 and they claimed that the usual wear would render them dead under normal conditions driving between 15,000 to 20,000 miles. So I had to do some digging to find TSIB support.

I have an appointment this Friday to get them changed out. Is turning the rotors a reasonable option or should I ask them to replace the rotors since the rotors can be turned typically only two or three times before they become too thin.

L_SB_0121_08.pdf

That's a great point. Here's my deal. I've got just under 29k miles and mentioned to them that the TSIB for brake dust coverage is up to 50k miles and they agreed. I've seen the clueless part with other dealers and have come to think it's part of the game to not immediately acknowledge some of these components to let the customer say what needs to be said and not do more.

I'm actually getting the work done tomorrow morning and have reserved a loaner car. I tend to agree with you that you don't want the rotors turned much. I know Honda's/Acura's only survive one turn at most before needing replacement. Lexus is probably similar.

The notes on my invoice indicate the following:

"Guest states there is excessive brake dust and noise from front brakes"

- update pad/shim set

separately, they're performing two additional campaigns...

1. 9LB rear brake slide pin update (replace rear brake caliper sliding pin for possible sticking)

2. 9LA fuel rail update

I'm glad I asked this question and got good advice... thank you.

I had my pads replaced and my wheels stay clean for weeks now, instead of days as before.

I notice NO difference in brake performance.

Interestingly, the Service Person read me a statement that stated "Braqke performance may be reduced." When I said; "Do it anyway" he said "You're the first person who has taken this option. Let me know how it works out."

Seems like Lexus is scaring many people away from a sensible "fix" with lawer induced scare tactics.

I notice NO difference in brake performance.

Interestingly, the Service Person read me a statement that stated "Braqke performance may be reduced." When I said; "Do it anyway" he said "You're the first person who has taken this option. Let me know how it works out."

Seems like Lexus is scaring many people away from a sensible "fix" with lawer induced scare tactics.

Seems like their scare tactic is working 'cause I decided to not get my brake pads replaced when I heard there would be a drop in braking performance. Now that I have some reassurance from you that this is not the case i'm gonna go ahead with the swap. Thanks for the info.

• 2 months later...

Okay I had my brake pads changed yesterday to these replacement ones that don't give off as much brake dust. I TOTALLY NOTICE A DIFFERENCE IN BRAKING PERFORMANCE. Mind you, I shouldn't complain since I only had about 20% life left in my old pads. But once these new pads wear out I am definately going back to the original pads, the braking power on those was awesome. Now I have to drop more weight on the pedal to get the same response