Shop Tools That Are Great To Have.....

99lsguy

Hey guys,

I know many of us have tools - some have a bunch; some have only a few....but you all posess a ton of wisdom!

Just thought it might be good to share what tools/techniques we have that's really come in handy over the years. This topic can be from standard everyday tools to "specialized" or "homemade" items that make our work safer, faster, easier, etc....My hope is this topic will allow us all to learn a few more "tricks" that make working on our LS's even more enjoyable :lol:

I'll just start with something simple:

I've got two floor jacks (2.25 ton) that are great to have for ROTATING tires...one was given to me a long time ago, the other I bought a few years back for $20. They pay for themselves on the first rotation; plus you get to torque the lug nuts right on the money! :D

what some of my favorite tools are, are my two and only snap-on wrenches :blushing: the one that is very important is the 12mm 13mm combination wrench. it is flat and straight ( not angled like other combination wrenches) and i specificaly bought it to take off the engine fan. it was $32 but well worth it. with that taking those fan nuts off are super easy :D other than those i keep about two of everything and sometimes three. oh and pullers those are a must have item. welder comes in handy (TIGs are good) grinders saws. a metal lathe and mill :P hehe! then your standard cherry picker for those engine swaps and an engine stand.

• 4 weeks later...

I was wondering about this same question on Monday when I tried to remove my front rotor and could not get the screws loose, not even with the help of WD40.

Anyway, add a good c-clamp in there for pushing back the rotors into the brake :D assembly.

I was wondering about this same question on Monday when I tried to remove my front rotor and could not get the screws loose, not even with the help of WD40.

Anyway, add a good c-clamp in there for pushing back the rotors into the brake :D assembly.

I know what you mean....

When I first bought the car, I was checking the brakes and I thought I was going to break the lug nut wrench ; they were on so tight, I luckily had a "cheater bar" in the garage - Just think if I was on the road somewhere and had to get a flat tire off. I was upset to think about it :chairshot:

Now I rotate & torque them myself :lol: 76 FT LBS per manual specs :D

a good ole 3 foot snake light has always been a handy tool for me to have around.

it has a heavy duty magnet on the end so you can adhear it to any metal piece of the car, or anything really, and just bend it around as to see what you are working on. :D

also i have car ramps that you just drive up on to have the car off the ground so you can get under it to work or change the oil, that comes in handy also ;)

several months ago i had to replace the poa valve (back pressure regulator) on my SC400 a/c system. there was a fitting on the low

pressure line to the valve--27mm i think.. that was impossibe to get

to with an open ended wrench because it was too long and butted

against engine block.

i cut most of the handle off a 10'' cresent and left about a 2'' stub which

i ground down so i could slip a 3/4'' socket over. that allowed me to

attack the pressure fitting at a right angle with good leverage using the

1/2'' ratchet handle.

earlier this month when i rebuilt my p/s pump, i was able to use this

same modified wrench to break loose the bolt that holds the hi press

hose to the p/s pump...another difficult-to-reach fitting. a really neat

tool with a lot of flexibility....covers up to 30mm metric span.

lx

black 93SC400 61kmiles

'65 mustang 289 with 98k actual miles

i'm still in a cave...no dig cam and have windows 95 as opt system.

how archaic can one get???

the prices if digital cameras has really dropped significantly in the past couple of years, they are really a lot more affordable now

you ought to check out some prices when you get a chance, they really come in handy :D

s'mate,

i have looked into the purchase of a dig cam and as u said they are pretty inexpensive but none are compatible with windows 95. all the ones out there require win 98 or higher and i really am comfy with the 95 opt system that i have grown so used to...especially the nice fax feature.

we prob dont want to start a computer discission here but i guess it is

about time i upgrade. it is kind of like wanting to keep ur lexus forever

since it keeps on serving you well as my ibm aptiva has.

lx

vy,

my computer knowledge is rather limited but i do have two usb ports on back of tower. i wanted to buy a dig cam several yrs ago but when i reviewed the specs they all said not compatible with win 95. i just assumed it had something to do with the opt system and not a physical

hookup to the tower. obviously i am not gifted in this area so i just let

it ride and went on to the other mundane things an old retiree does

like play golf and drink red wine. sometimes i wish my current unit

would just blow up and force me to upgrade.

i know we are straying from the purpose of the forum but thx for your

reply re the dig cam thing.

lx

i think its time to let win95 go:)

as to the tools i have mostly any tool that i need and if i dont have it my friends do since most of us are hooked up on cars together we have any tool that i can possibly need.

Win98 se is the first OS with USB Support. You may be able to update 95 with an update from microsoft but I would really advise moving to XP if your machine can take it..if not..make sure its 98 se

Also on the digicam not being compatible with 95 I call BS unless the transfer software is not compatible. On 95 you need to make sure there is a serial cable (RS 232 aka the nine pin dealy), if there is than it is most likely compatable. Maake sure to read the box on recommended minimums tho

Or use what I use and get stuff done without any fear of virus or the need to update every other week.

Go here for more info on it: www.lycoris.com and if you are still interested then check this out for a good read on what you are getting into.

http://www.desktopos.com/reviews.php?op=sh...tent&id=8"

Hey, I did not start it... hope the mods don't mind.

Anyway, it is an hundred fold better than what 95 or any versions of 98 could ever hope to be.

Here's my second one....

Just used a "telescoping magnet" tool the other day. Saved my bacon :D I dropped a socke between the radiator & frame - just got the little tool and plunged her down to the socket....magetics work like a charm.

I've need this tool before - clumsy me - now I'm glad I have it :D

actually win95 O2R II had USB support with downloadable patch even b4 win98 was released but this is offtopic in this forum and IMHO linux rulez:)

P.S linuxfan: ur link is not workin....

Okay, I returning back to our original topic.

I have an Air Compressor in my garage, but lately I haven't needed to use it since I starting working at a dealership.

oh yea forgot i had a compressor. (not a very big one though) and an impact that cant even take off lug nuts (probably because of my 5 gal. compressor) :blushing::lol: and a spray gun and air brush for those spot paint repairs.

I have a lot of tools. Most are Craftsman, a few Mac, Snap-Ons, and other stuff. I had one of those Craftmans Red double stack tool boxes but it was full. Then, while I was at Costco a few months ago, I saw this beautiful, stainless steel huge tool box made by Nu Steel. I bought one, only $600. I moved my automotive tools to the new box, and use the old one for painting tools, parts, and other stuff I use.

I have a couple of compressors, a couple jacks, lots of lights, TV stereo, refrigerator, sanders, you know... all the junk a car guy likes.

I spend more time in my garage than any other room.

VBdenny