Adding Synthetic Oil

LexLs400 '98

Yes on the Mobil One............use a good filter too!

But I don't think the dura lube is worth anything, my opinion <_<

I've got 99 LS and started using Amsoil synthetic @ 55K..........I too, wish the LS will run a long time.

The engine is rated to get at least 400K :D ...and that's with good ole' dino oil :lol:

Time will come when we must "weigh" the repair costs versus value of the car :(

Use Mobil 1 because synthetic oil is far superior to fossil. Read the oil report posted on this board for details, it is excellent. I would not under any circumstances add any other oil additive, as every manufacturer recommends against such.

denny

Use Mobil 1 because synthetic oil is far superior to fossil. Read the oil report posted on this board for details, it is excellent. I would not under any circumstances add any other oil additive, as every manufacturer recommends against such.

denny

Denny

I agree Synthetic is superior - absolutely! (I even think Amsoil is Technically the best synthetic oil made) . I just wonder about the cost of maintaining the rest of the vehicle as it ages.....makes the oil (type) issue seem petty.

Any Honda, toyota will give you 250K on the engine if you change oil every 3-4 k on dino.....

This being said, I still will use synthetic oil exclusively :D

A couple of things to help defray the cost of Mobil 1.

Do your own oil changes for about $20 versus whatever they charge you at the dealer. When you change your own oil, with the money save, you might even spring for a Mobil 1 oil filter at $12! There is an intermittent ebay seller of Mobil 1 oil filters real cheap but he doesn't seem to have the size we need.

Buy the oil on sale or at COSTCO for $4/quart.

Sign up for Mobil 1 Rewards (you get a $5 gift certificate for each case you buy starting with the 2nd case) at the Mobil 1 website.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

99- A Lexus, even the LS isn't expensive at all to maintain at high mileages if you do two things.

1. Keep up on things. Like any car if you let it go and don't watch all of the wear items its gonna hit you in the face every time you go in for service. Having to replace say the shocks isn't a big deal when you know they're going to go, can plan for it, and its not a shock.

2. Don't use the dealer. The Lexus is really easy to work on, they're pretty simple as luxury cars go and really anyone can service it. Find a good independent mechanic you trust.

Just look at the people on here with 14 year old LS with 250-300,000 miles, they're not having the bank broken with repair costs ;)

Can anyone advise if it is OK to add synthetic oil eg. Mobil 1 and additives like Dura Lube to add life in an LS 400 engine? I just bought a 1998 last fall and I love her to say the least. She now has 106K, and plan to keep her a long time.

Welcome the club. I'm going to agree with the rest of the members. Adding Dura Lube to Mobil 1 isn't necessary. If you're trying to clean your Fuel Injectors, then it's okay, but there are cheaper ways of doing that. :)

Use the Mobil 1 only if you are not leaking any oil. If the car is leaking even a drop over a couple months Mobil 1 will find the leak and make it leak more. Then you may need to do more expensive gasket work etc. Mobil 1 is the best and I use it in my 98 LS

to miest21,

I have heard before that the synthetic oil will make the oil leaks worse, is the oil thinner or what.

to everyone,

I'm scared to put synthetic in my 91 LS but I want the benefits of a fully synthetic oil. Would it be better to use a covnentional and synthetic combination oil as a transition to the syntheric. If I switched to synthetic and the engine started to leak oil, could I change back to the natural stuff to stop the leak. I dont have any leaks right now, but I haven't the money for the expensive gasket work if one forms.

91ls,

I would say, for peace of mind, not to start the full synthetic. Your engine will perform admirely for another 150K+ anyway.

But a very safe alternative would be to add 1 quart of "synthetic blend" oil on the next oil change; i.e. 4 quarts dino + 1-1.5 quarts of "blend" to the full mark.

This way you have a little synthetic mixed in...

Then, if all is well, go 3 quarts "blend' + 2.5 full dino on the next change...finally, go all "blend" on the 3rd change from now and leave that way. If your very confident and no leaks present, start adding "full synthetic" in the same manner...

a slow and patient procedure, but certainly safe :D

whats up with everyone not useing toyota filters?

well personal preference i guess

jzz,

I'm going to pick a couple up :D

I've got a couple Amsoil SDF57's but I can get the:

90915-2004 OEM Toyota Filter (Denso Made) at my local Toyota Dealer....so I'll pick a couple up (only $5 each!!)....maybe more than a couple :lol:

• 1 month later...
My 93 LS400 is at 188K and I would really like to change to Mobile 1 at 5K oil change intervals. What viscosity should I use? Here in Houston it rarily gets below 40F . I am concerned with oil leaks developing.

thanks,

tom

Mobil1 10w-30 (high mileage formula) will do you fine. If a leak develops, then go back to conventional 10w-30. No big deal.

steviej

http://www.lexus.com/home/contact_lexus.html

5. Can I use synthetic engine oil in my Lexus vehicle during its break-in period?

Synthetic oil can be used at the first scheduled oil change. Please note that the

use of synthetic oil does not extend the recommended oil change intervals.

Even if synthetic oil is used, we do not recommend longer oil change intervals.

Once synthetic oil is used, it is best not to switch back to petroleum-based oil.

Owner Testimonial:

Subject: [Camry] Mobil 1 oil damaged my engine.

Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:03:17 -0400

From: "Sternbach, William [iT]" <william.sternbach@citigroup.com>

Reply-To: Camry@yahoogroups.com

Hello,

In addition to owning a Toyota,

I own a 1994 Ford Econoline E150 with 78,000 miles on it.

It has the 4.9 Liter Inline 6 cylinder engine.

2 months ago, I decided to switch to Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W-30

multi-vehicle oil (for both newer and older vehicles (certified by Mobil

to be ok with older vehicles with over 75,000 miles on the oil seals).

At the time of that oil change, I asked my trusted honest mechanic to

inspect the engine for leaks. He said there were no oil leaks.

After 2 months with the Mobil 1 oil, I started noticing a foul smelling smoke

from under my hood. I took it back to the same honest trusted mechanic,

and he said I now have a rear engine seal leak that started right after I

changed to Mobil 1 synthetic oil. The mechanic mentioned that Mobil 1

Synthetic is a fast acting oil, and that it penetrates oil seals in a short

amount of time.

So if I had saved almost $5 a quart by buying the Wal-Mart Store brand oil

like I used to use, I would be fine now. But because I tried Mobil 1 Synthetic

(which was guaranteed to be safe for engine seals), I now have a $500+ repair

to replace the rear engine seal (they have to replace the transmission to do this).

So my advise to anyone is to never use Synthetic oil (even if it says on the container

that its safe for engines with over 75,000 miles).

Using it will damage your oil seals.

- Bill

Monarch,

I sure would like to get to the truth about this concern of synthtic oils causing gaskets to leak. As you point out, there does appear to be anecdotal evidence that leaks appear. But then there is this from the Mobil1 website:

"Myth: Mobil 1 will leak out of the seals of older cars.

Reality: Mobil 1 does not cause leaks. In fact, new Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ was tested in dozens of industry standard and OEM tests to prove its seal performance. It is fully compatible with the elastomeric materials from which all automotive seals and gaskets are made.

ExxonMobil engineers are wary of conventional oils that tout their use of additional seal-swelling agents. With extended use, these agents can over-soften engine seals, resulting in leaks. More to the point, an oil additive will not rejuvenate worn or damaged seals. The damaged seal may have been caused by a worn rotating metal component in the engine.

If an older engine is in good condition and does not have oil leaks, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ provides the same advantages as when used in a new engine. ExxonMobil recommends taking measures to repair the leaks, then using Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™. ExxonMobil also always recommends following the automobile manufacturer's manual for the proper oil to use." But then, Mobil1 wants to sell their oil.

Then there is this from an Amsoil-sponsored website: http://www.bestsyntheticoil.com/amsoil/seals.shtml

They claim in the early days of synthetics, some leaks did occur, but that all the oils since have been properly reformulated. This could be true as it may be how the whole topic got started. Then again, Amsoil is saying it, and we know they are trying to sell oil. Probably from snakes.

Anyway, I've not heard anything definitive, but after weighing both sides, I'm getting ready to move to synthetic with my 105,000 mile engine.

If anyone has real data on this topic, please weigh in!

99-

I also have a 91 LS400 with 170K miles and use synthetic oil. The previous owner used standard oil, but I could definitely tell a difference when I started putting synthetic in it. I would use a 5w-30 synthetic. The 5w-30 is the recommended viscosity for the LS, although 10w-30 would also work. I use Pennzoil 5w-30 synthetic oil and it has been great in my car.

As far as the oil change interval, I would still recommend changing every 3000. Although many synthetics are formulated to last longer than conventional oil, it still gets dirty and I find it best to continue changing at 3000 miles. This will keep cleaner oil in your car and can extend the life of the engine.

i know that 5w 30 is recommended for 1uzfe but i would recommend using 10w-30 oil for engines with high mileage since old engines are more prone to oil leaks due to aging seals and 5w has higher viscosity. i use 5w30 mobile 1 myself but i'm planning to swith to 10w-30 mobil 1 once i hit 140k