Rear Speakers Cut Out? Any Ideas?

i have a 94 sc400 and the same thing happened to my car, except all but one speaker and the subwoofer cut out. i almost positive its not a problem with the speakers or the wiring. we seem to think it could be a problem with the head unit itself. not positive though. hope this helps narrow your search.

tyler

all my speakers cut out, and me and my bro figured out it was a HU problem. i'm still waiting to get some money for a new HU and single-din kit for the car. ('93 ES300)

if i drive long enough, some sound comes back, but not to normal volume.

not sure if it's the same thing.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the 95 SC400 with the Nakamichi, and my rear speakers have also cut out... I am able to still hear very low audible sound through each, so I was thinking the rear amp, but now I don't think so. I spent hours with the service people at Pioneer (they do the nakamichi support now on this model) and got nowhere. Since that amp also handles my CD player, which still is working, I don't think it is the amp, and I am thinking that something as simple as the rheostat on the HU that controls front rear fade could be the problem. I've been living with this for years, and gonna solve it this spring. I'll let you know.

All my speakers essentially went out about a year ago. I found a couple of websites that you may find helpful. The first is technicalhelp4u.com which provides wiring diagrams for both the Pioneer and Nakamichi systems.

Another website, carstereohelp.com, states that a mute wire (which can be seen on the wiring diagrams referenced above) sometimes becomes grounded causing the speaker cutout you're referring to. It gives directions for checking a couple of connectors under the rear seat.

If that's not it, the problem is probably a failed amplifier. The carstereohelp website provides directions for pulling out the amplifier which is located under the CD changer in the trunk. I called my local Lexus dealership, Lexus of Annapolis, who said they could replace the amp without a rebuilt amp for $700 with a turn-in of the old amp. Seemed a little high to me. Carstereohelp offers to rebuild your amp for $350 if you send it to them. I'm trying to find out if I can put in any replacement amp.

Any ideas?

Any similar amp will work. I have a pioneer - had a sony in the other. The stock amp is under the back seat though. I think that is myrobyte's hack. I bought a car from him once. Small world I guess. If your trying to save money, you can go get a decent amp and two tens in a box. Put some aftermarket six mids in there.

To test your speakers just take one that is known to work and plug it in off the speaker in question. If the known speaker works, then your speaker is blown. If not, you have a wiring, head or amp problem.

AMP ON SC400 IS UNDER THE CD CHANGER IN THE TRUNK.

MY REAR SPEAKERS RECENTLY WENT OUT -WELL NOT COMPLETELY-IF I PUT ALL POWER TO THE REAR, I CAN FAINTLY HEAR THEM. I WOULD BET THAT IT'S CAUSE BY A PARTIAL AMP FAILURE. I CAN'T IMAGINE THAT BOTH REAR SPEAKERS WOULD GO OUT AT THE SAME TIME. HAS ANYONE "FIXED" THIS PROBLEM YET?

Okay - that's news to me. :blushing: Sorry. No need to yell. I haven't had this problem. Wish I could help more. I have factory schematics if they are needed. If the amp is in the trunk on UZZ3X models, then it is possible that water got into them. There are drain tubes from the fill cap and moon roof that terminate just under the CD player. If those hoses are leaking or the drains are plugged, then there is a liquid short. The amp will need to be replaced or repaired if that is the case. I would recommend relocating it as well.

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem. Both rear speakers went away, and then the right front speaker now comes in and out.

I replaced the head unit with no change, so now I suspect the amp.

Any other ideas for fixing this problem are welcome.

i have a sc 400 with the nakamichi and all the sound went out at once

I inspected all the connectors and found corrosion on one of them

(left side trunk panel factory phone coupleing, was never installed.)

corrected but still no sound. I am now looking for a used amp in the scrap but have had no luck.

any one have any leads? or solutions for this problem.

:angry:

Just diagnosed this in my '94 SC400. Yup, the speakers go bad. I was doubting it was the speakers, thinking it was an amp as that seemed the most logical. But, I can confirm (as least in my case) both speakers went bad.

You can check yours by simply having a spare speaker with twin lead. Pull the cover panel from the trunk and the connections are exposed to jump connection to the test speaker.

Did that, the test speaker played fine.

Pulled the rears speakers (a pain as you have to pull the rear seat and CAREFULLY remove the cover panel). Remove the 4 bolts, slide a spatchula under the speaker box edges (they stick over time) so you don't crack them when you pry up. Use a razor blade to cut away the screen cover. The stock speakers are only held in place by 4 screws.

I replaced with a pair of 4 ohm, 60 Watt Sony's. Now, all is well.

I had a problem with, what I thought was the amp or speakers but a radio tech shop in Sanford, Florida found the cause to be water accumulation with the connector under the rear seat on the drivers side. He dried up the area ( I washed the car two days prior) cleaned the terminals, which showed signs of corrision and lubricated it witht eletrical cleaning/oil spray. Everything worked fine after that - His charge - A thanks because he had heard of other cars with similar problem and I was the first Lexius he could test his thry of the cause - and he was correct. I hope this helps - :magic: Good Luck

BOBTC00_hotmail.com

Great link on that www.carstereohelp.com site. Just wondering how that much water accumulates under the rear passenger seat? I was washing my car the other day and found drop of water on the top of my rear passenger seat...is this going to lead to my stereo going out also? After some water dousing I found out that it may be coming from a cracked window rubber housing on the rear passenger's window. Is this a common problem? Thanks.

i had the sam problem but i just changed the speakers and it was all good :lol: and ky3ts its possible that the cone ripped on your speakers so it will make slight noise at a high volume try and take a look