Home Link Buttons

Unlike most controls that you are supposed to push, the Home Link buttons (1,2,3) do not light up at night. As a result, when I try to open my garage, I have to turn the cabin light to actually locate the right button. Question: Are these buttons supposed to light up? If not, how do most people manage this chore?

I can "nail" the correct HomeLink button in my LS without even looking -- it's automatic for me ... probably from years of practice. How do you find the button for the overhead light? Is it lighted at night?

You are right though. It would be nice if every single control was lighted.

Thanks for the responses. Its comforting to know that its not lighted. It does not solve my problem, though. The light button is different color, so its easy to spot, but everything else is dark color, so it is hard to guess. I agree, this is my first one, and its barely 2 weeks old. I will get used to it, just like everybody else. On the positive side - everything else is great. I transitioned from Highlander to RX. So, you can imagine my euphoria. Thanks guys for the reassurance. And please bear my ignorance.

• 2 weeks later...

The homelink buttons illuminate green in my Rx400h. Maybe it was upgraded for 08?

I'd try buying an upper console from an Rx400h and installing it in yours. My guess is that the plugs are the same.

There's one on ebay for $65 right now from an 08 Rx400h...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

But yeah, they definitely light up in my Rx400h.

• 2 months later...
The homelink buttons illuminate green in my Rx400h. Maybe it was upgraded for 08?

I'd try buying an upper console from an Rx400h and installing it in yours. My guess is that the plugs are the same.

They also light up in my '07 RX350.

They also light up in my '07 RX350.

Hi, the "1,2,3" numbers on the homelink buttons light up for me - 04 RX330.

Unlike most controls that you are supposed to push, the Home Link buttons (1,2,3) do not light up at night. As a result, when I try to open my garage, I have to turn the cabin light to actually locate the right button. Question: Are these buttons supposed to light up? If not, how do most people manage this chore?

I got a 2010 RX350 less than a month ago. The first time I drove the car at night I was really shocked and dissappinted to find out none of the overhead console buttons were backlighted. At first I thought it was a defect or setting issue but after asking the dealer and Lexus customer service, they confirmed it was built like that. It is really unbelievable for a so-called luxury car to cut corners like this. All the vehicles I owned before including the "lowly" Dodge Caravan hd the backlighting so I took it for granted Lexus would have it. If I had known this before, I wouldn't have bought the car.

Thanks for the responses. Its comforting to know that its not lighted. It does not solve my problem, though. The light button is different color, so its easy to spot, but everything else is dark color, so it is hard to guess. I agree, this is my first one, and its barely 2 weeks old. I will get used to it, just like everybody else. On the positive side - everything else is great. I transitioned from Highlander to RX. So, you can imagine my euphoria. Thanks guys for the reassurance. And please bear my ignorance.

Hey, me too! I had a Highlander Limited and I went to test drive the 2010 Limited and I wasn't impressed with the fit and finish of Toyota's high end SUV(or what they consider worthy of $40,000) so I went to check out Lexus. I'm glad I did!