Unhappy With Rx450h

Eldor

You should drive them. The 3 series BMW and IS etc are TOTALLY different cars than a Camry. They are sports sedans, and they aren't small because they are cheap they are small because they are sporty, handle well, etc. Why do you think the IS is approximately the same cost as the ES? The 3 series can be $70k. Size isn't the only factor when people decide which car to purchase, as a matter of fact to many people its not a factor at all.

Why do you think the 3 series BMW is constantly on the Car & Driver 10 Best list? Doesn't have anything to do with its price.

People who buy those cars would rather drive them than an RX400h or an LS460, or an S550, etc.

Just because you don't understand something or its not what you personally would buy or do or have doesn't mean you can "look down" on it.

In the same vein I can say you could have saved a lot of money and bought a Highlander Hybrid because its the same car. Or say that purchasing something like a Lexus is a worthless waste of money completely.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't believe we're debating the IS here. Go to one of the Lexus events and DRIVE all the models. You'd be surprised how well the IS handles. Yes, it's smaller but has some great features. I was all set to buy a GS until I drove the IS. Also, did you notice how well the IS retains its value??? A whole lot better than some other models. I own RXs, and a 2008 IS. The IS is a nice little car to drive. By the way, by the time you equip it it really comes out to $40,000.

I can't believe we're debating the IS here.

I agree and I'm afraid that if this continues to drift away from the original post's topic, I will have to close the thread.

Thanks,

Dave

• 2 months later...

I just traded in our 400h for a 450h and it is an improvement but I agree more can be done.

- I like the center console as previously there was a dinky arm rest.

- I love the mouse feature...I no longer watch the road (just kidding). It is much better then touch screen and yes the GPS still is about 10 times worse than a simple street pilot. However, when you master its flaws its easier to do what you need to using the mouse and zoom in/out button ( I use this alot). I also use the map/menu button alot as its easy to get to the sound menu. Traffic and weather is a nice feature. I also tried the destination services and its handy too. Not sure if I will continue these $$$ services after the free period.

- The seats are way more comfortable, the AC seat is weak but better than none that we had previously.

- The power outlets in the console are ok, the boxes are a joke and difficult to get in/out. My phone power cord tends to drop back down under the box...a hassle for sure.

- The economy mode is kind of a joke as a it doesnt change the physics of the car, ie you cant change the mileage by pushing a button because you cant change the friction of the air/road. It does force you to drive with a lighter foot.

- This actually is my wife's car but I picked it up 1400mi from our house so I gave it a good test ride.

- We looked at other vehicles and ended up buying the exact same vehicle including the color black with the tan interior.

So far, so good.

Couple of things I can add to my previous post:

- The cubby storage in the rear floor is gone, got a spare tire and a battery there now. Where do I store my trailer hitch??

- The reverse mirror tilt can be disabled by pressing the L or R mirror adjust so the the green led light is out. Originally I pressed the L/R button just to turn the light out then realized that disabled the reverse tilt feature that I really like.

- I really like more user selectable options instead of going to the dealer for those setups, e.g. sensitivity of auto headlights, door locks, etc.

In a way I'm sorry but then again...You need to test drive the car you want and try to use all the functions to make sure you like everything first. Do more research about it and then test drive it again. Seems as if you went into it to impulsively. The only thing I agree with you on is the navigation functions not available with in motion but you can use it if you want to by using the voice commands. I find it easier than actually inputting the info myself with the touch screen with my IS350. You should try it. But honestly I'm not trying to be rude but all of your other dislikes seem a little, how should I put it.....a little bit too picky. But everyone is different and certain things bother people differently. All of your dislikes to me I would not have a problem with. And also. I never buy a new car the first year they come out with a brand new total redesign, all the bugs are not worked out yet and those are the ones that usually have the most problems. I wanted the IS350 in 06 but waited until 09. But I'm very sorry you are unhappy with the car.

I honestly don't like the idea of test drives the way they are. I will test drive a car four to five times before I buy it. yes I am a nut, but can you really discern if this car is right for you in 15 minutes that you are going to keep? Short test drives do give you a feel for the power train, but it doesn't give you everything.

Here's my special process for buying a car:

1) first visit don't test drive anything. Sit in the car and give it a good once over. Look between the seats (for those gaps) sit in the back seat. open the trunk. Play with the audio system and other features that don't require it to move. open the hood. look at the paint. (i really prefer not to have a sales person present even visually) Adjust the seat and so on and so forth. i try to imagine what I will have with me(ipod, cellphone, etc). Look in the storage bins and locate all the power outlets.

2)Second visit test drive the car. try to go on a varied route. some highway, some back roads, some stop and go (the stop and go will really give you a feel for the brakes) at the end of the test drive play with the a/c and heated seats. See how long it takes to warm/cool down (this will serve as a comparison later). Do not play any music while driving. listen to the engine and the road/wind noise. It's the perfect way to hear rattles and squeaks (a sure sign of poor quality interior). Don't be afraid to hit pot holes or bumps. Don't wreck the car, but i don't go out of my way to avoid them.

3)third visit test drive the car in different weather conditions (rainy and/or dusk/ dark). Before you drive, start the car and turn on the a/c and heated seats. see how long it takes to cool or warm up when the engine is cold. This test drive I can get a feeling for how the car handles in adverse conditions and I get to see how the headlights illuminate the road. get to see how the cabin looks like after dark. For me, at least, certain color combos hurt my eyes (like that red and blue instrument panel of VW). Play with the navigation system, bring your cellphone and try to pair it to the bluetooth system and make a call. If it's raining try the different settings for the wipers and see if the rain sensing wipers fit you (some people hate it). Bring a couple of your cds or ipod and play it.

4) Fourth visit see if you can test drive the car alone (many dealerships will let you if you went there for the previous test drives, makes you seem serious about the car). Once you have the car, really push it. gun it a couple of times from a dead stop (see if the car pulls to either side) go to a parking lot(an empty one) and do some quick stops and other maneuvers (s-turns). go to a street and make a u-turn. Get on the highway and drive it like you drive normally.

My OCD(ish) system really makes learn your potential new car and the breaks in between test drives prevents those impulse buys. I am very similar to the op where little things in the interior will drive me insane, so I understand his pain. I am a very tech orientated person, so I do need a good integrated audio system. Lexus does have a short fall when it comes to ipod intergration. Many other companies do it way better (Infiniti, Ford). The Nav is in the middle of the pack (Acura is so horrible it's not even funny) out of the luxury market.

Op, if you dislike the car that much you might want to consider selling quickly so you don't loose much money on it. If you have another Lexus in mind that better suits your need, go back to the Lexus dealership and press them to take back your RX 450h and give you something else.

Sorry to see you didn't like the RX. We had one as well, and didn't like it. We got a 09 Nissan Murano and love the vehicle vs the Lexus. Even though the Lexus had great service and you were buying a Lexus, the Murano was just better designed, quiet, better NAVI, stereo, etc.

My suggestion would be to check one out if you haven't.

I honestly don't like the idea of test drives the way they are. I will test drive a car four to five times before I buy it. yes I am a nut, but can you really discern if this car is right for you in 15 minutes that you are going to keep? Short test drives do give you a feel for the power train, but it doesn't give you everything.

I agree 100%. I don't think you're nuts at all...

Eldor,

It's too early for me to comment about your comments about the 450h, as I've only got 150 miles on the car so far and haven't formed too many opinions pro or con.

However I agree about the iPod implementation, scrolling or lack thereof is a pain. Though I was surprised in the amount of integration it does have. I expected much worse.

I do miss something our Nissan had as part of the navigation system and that is "Bird-eye View". I used it exclusively. I was pleasantly surprised with the interstate view in the Lexas nav. Showing a pictograph of exits with a "countdown" bar till the exit is nice.

I've only used a couple navigation systems, not nearly as many as you, but initially I like the Lexus system. I had no expectation of using it while driving, I assumed that was typical for all OEM nav systems. Having the passenger operate the system would be a plus. If they could put a sensor in the passenger seat and on the top of the remote touch, maybe they monitor who is controlling the nav and make it work.

Using eDestination is a pleasure. I'm hoping it will improve with updates over time. Entering destinations on my laptop and downloading them to the car is a pleasure and very easy. Now if they can improve that with multiple stops, that would be great.

Getting used to having the engine stop a few dozen times a day is going to take some getting used to!

Buk

Sorry to see you didn't like the RX. We had one as well, and didn't like it. We got a 09 Nissan Murano and love the vehicle vs the Lexus. Even though the Lexus had great service and you were buying a Lexus, the Murano was just better designed, quiet, better NAVI, stereo, etc.

We had both a Maxima and fully-optioned Quest before buying our RX400h and to us, while the Nissan's were well-built to some extent (I say this because there were some problems with each.), they really were not in the same class as the Lexus. Perhaps the Infiniti SUVs are there when performance characteristics are compared, but as far as amenities, reliability, fuel economy and dealer service are concerned, there is just no comparison.

I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure, as they say. (This is not to say that Nissan's are trash!)

We had both a Maxima and fully-optioned Quest before buying our RX400h and to us, while the Nissan's were well-built to some extent (I say this because there were some problems with each.), they really were not in the same class as the Lexus. Perhaps the Infiniti SUVs are there when performance characteristics are compared, but as far as amenities, reliability, fuel economy and dealer service are concerned, there is just no comparison.

I guess one man's trash is another man's treasure, as they say. (This is not to say that Nissan's are trash!)

It is obvious you haven't checked out the new Murano as the interior really blows any other car that Nissan makes away. It is like a Infiniti but with a Nissan badge. Like I said, check one out before making comments when you haven't even seen one. We also get over 23 city and we have hit 28 highway in our Murano. Your right, it doesn't compare since the Murano performs better.

It is obvious you haven't checked out the new Murano as the interior really blows any other car that Nissan makes away. It is like a Infiniti but with a Nissan badge. Like I said, check one out before making comments when you haven't even seen one. We also get over 23 city and we have hit 28 highway in our Murano. Your right, it doesn't compare since the Murano performs better.

I have driven a RX 400h (07) and I have driven an fx35 (08). there are good points to both. Driving dynamics(better awd, tighter handling, much faster), navi, and tech (better sound system, ipod intergration, better voice recogniction, better nav, and a 9GB music box with flash expansion slot) really are done well in the infiniti (it took lexus almost 3 yrs to get hdd based nav, it took lexus 4 yrs to get nav traffic into the GS450h! and some cars still have cassette players!). Service and luxury are definitely on better done in the lexus' (heated & ventilated seats, quieter). Infiniti typically gives you a roomier car for the money, a G37 has the same interior space as a gs450h (and the same 0-60 time) for 20k less(with awd), but the refinement is not there. That exhaust note is a burly one on the infiniti and can get pretty annoying after a while. Now that Infiniti is bringing to market their own hybrid system to be introduced in the new M sedan, I want to see how that plays out (the Infiniti hybrid system is supposed to be more robust than the HSD, can carry the car up to 67mph on battery alone)

Nissan has done a lot to the murano and the maxima to bring them upmarket (the maxima needs to go). The quality of the materials are much improved and I don't see anything from toyota that matches except the land cruiser.

Anyway back on topic, If you are unhappy with the driving dynamics of the RX or the tech in the RX, the FX is in the same price range and will fit the bill. If you want something a little bit cheaper but almost as good as, go for the Murano. If you are unhappy with your RX don't snub nose Infiniti, take a good hard look and you might like them.... follow my insane test driving scheme and you will never go home with another unwanted car!

[it is obvious you haven't checked out the new Murano as the interior really blows any other car that Nissan makes away. It is like a Infiniti but with a Nissan badge. Like I said, check one out before making comments when you haven't even seen one. We also get over 23 city and we have hit 28 highway in our Murano. Your right, it doesn't compare since the Murano performs better.

While you may feel that 23 MPG in the city is incredible, it is a far cry from the 28-30 MPG that hybrid SUVs, such as the RX400h and RX450H have been achieving. And high-traffic, big city environments are where hybrids have always excelled. If you have been perusing this forum for any length of time, you'd know that many of us will advise newcomers who are interested in a hybrid Lexus that unless they spend an ample amount of time driving in city traffic, there will not be a large difference in fuel savings over a gasolene-only vehicle. I believe the Toyota RAV4 boasts similar numbers as the Murano. But you glazed over my other point - Nissan service. I was told very bluntly by more than one Nissan dealership clerk that if I needed a ride more than 10 miles away, I was out of luck. That was just one part of the overall Nissan experience that turned me off to the brand. It's somewhat like comparing Honda to Acura service or Chevrolet to Cadillac - huge difference and a big reason why the RX-series are the best selling SUVs in the US - far outselling the Infiniti SUVs and even anything that Nissan has to offer.

[it is obvious you haven't checked out the new Murano as the interior really blows any other car that Nissan makes away. It is like a Infiniti but with a Nissan badge. Like I said, check one out before making comments when you haven't even seen one. We also get over 23 city and we have hit 28 highway in our Murano. Your right, it doesn't compare since the Murano performs better.

While you may feel that 23 MPG in the city is incredible, it is a far cry from the 28-30 MPG that hybrid SUVs, such as the RX400h and RX450H have been achieving. And high-traffic, big city environments are where hybrids have always excelled. If you have been perusing this forum for any length of time, you'd know that many of us will advise newcomers who are interested in a hybrid Lexus that unless they spend an ample amount of time driving in city traffic, there will not be a large difference in fuel savings over a gasolene-only vehicle. I believe the Toyota RAV4 boasts similar numbers as the Murano. But you glazed over my other point - Nissan service. I was told very bluntly by more than one Nissan dealership clerk that if I needed a ride more than 10 miles away, I was out of luck. That was just one part of the overall Nissan experience that turned me off to the brand. It's somewhat like comparing Honda to Acura service or Chevrolet to Cadillac - huge difference and a big reason why the RX-series are the best selling SUVs in the US - far outselling the Infiniti SUVs and even anything that Nissan has to offer.

Nissan is the only Japanese car maker that doesn't have any cars in the top ten list in reliablity. I'd stick with Lexus. In about four years the Murano will more than likely have issues like any other Nissan product.

Nissan makes the only Japanese car maker that doesn't have any cars in the top ten list in reliablity. I'd stick with Lexus. In about four years the Murano will more than likely have issues like any other Nissan product.

I agree on the reliability issues of nissan. The quality has improved in years, the infiniti's don't seem to have wide spread issues. Lexus can't be beat when reliability is the topic. I have notice that the GS line seems to be a weak spot in Lexus perfect reliability.

Nissan makes the only Japanese car maker that doesn't have any cars in the top ten list in reliablity. I'd stick with Lexus. In about four years the Murano will more than likely have issues like any other Nissan product.

I agree on the reliability issues of nissan. The quality has improved in years, the infiniti's don't seem to have wide spread issues. Lexus can't be beat when reliability is the topic. I have notice that the GS line seems to be a weak spot in Lexus perfect reliability.

Really? Which is the GS? The big family SUV?

Really? Which is the GS? The big family SUV?

the GS is a sedan (gs 350, 450h and 460) the 6 cylinder in the GS 350 has some issues with value timing and sticking (take a look in the non hybrid gs forums),some odd tire wear (on the awd model), ABS issues, and the occasional transmission issues. The engine in the GS300 seems to be horrible( compared to lexus standards) I think the second largest Lexus suv is the GX (why a company would name two of their products so closely is beyond me). It seems to me that the hybrids (of the GS or RX so I have no doubt the HS will last) seem to really stand up to the test of time (plus you get the extra warranty for the hybrid components).

While you may feel that 23 MPG in the city is incredible, it is a far cry from the 28-30 MPG that hybrid SUVs, such as the RX400h and RX450H have been achieving. And high-traffic, big city environments are where hybrids have always excelled. If you have been perusing this forum for any length of time, you'd know that many of us will advise newcomers who are interested in a hybrid Lexus that unless they spend an ample amount of time driving in city traffic, there will not be a large difference in fuel savings over a gasolene-only vehicle.

The RXh is also $20-25,000 more than a fully loaded Murano. Hardly a fair comparison.

The new Murano is really nice, and I would buy one over an 04-09 RX (gas or hybrid) anyday. The 2010 is a different story...but with the price difference I'd still lean heavily towards the Murano.

While you may feel that 23 MPG in the city is incredible, it is a far cry from the 28-30 MPG that hybrid SUVs, such as the RX400h and RX450H have been achieving. And high-traffic, big city environments are where hybrids have always excelled. If you have been perusing this forum for any length of time, you'd know that many of us will advise newcomers who are interested in a hybrid Lexus that unless they spend an ample amount of time driving in city traffic, there will not be a large difference in fuel savings over a gasolene-only vehicle.

The RXh is also $20-25,000 more than a fully loaded Murano. Hardly a fair comparison.

The new Murano is really nice, and I would buy one over an 04-09 RX (gas or hybrid) anyday. The 2010 is a different story...but with the price difference I'd still lean heavily towards the Murano.

I guess it's OK until you start finding transmission parts, random nuts and bolts in your driveway....if the Murano is anything like the other Nissans....

I guess it's OK until you start finding transmission parts, random nuts and bolts in your driveway....if the Murano is anything like the other Nissans....

Hmm, most of my family has owned Nissan/Infiniti's for years, and we never had one fail on us. Then we decided to try the newer 07+ Camry's, within 1500 miles of both of them, the transmissions blew. Both were bought back from Toyota. I am willing to give Toyota another chance on the Lexus side as I hope they have this resolved. But from that, the Murano, we have had 0 problems with it, my 07 350Z has had 0 problems as well. This is actually our 2nd Murano 09 model, as the first one wasn't fully loaded and we decided to get one loaded later.

Is there a Murano specific forum I can go to to tell everyone how much better my RX is than their Murano?

Just wondering....

Or better yet, is there a Murano specific forum YOU can go to to tell everyone how much better the Murano is than an RX.

Just wondering...

Thats just not an accurate statement. I know several people with Muranos and none have had any problems. You should go drive one...its a really nice vehicle and they are very reasonably priced.

Is there a Murano specific forum I can go to to tell everyone how much better my RX is than their Murano?

Just wondering....

Or better yet, is there a Murano specific forum YOU can go to to tell everyone how much better the Murano is than an RX.

Just wondering...

Doesn't do Lexus or us any favors pretending that the RX is the only car on the road worth buying. Its not...there are a LOT of other great offerings in that segment...

He wasn't the one who brought up the Murano, he was responding to a statement made by RX400h. I saw nothing wrong or trollish about his comments at all.

The 04-09 RX is 6 model years old...the Murano is new...comparing the new Murano to the new RX the RX has a lot more plusses, but IMHO the Murano is more vehicle than the previous RX for a lot less money.

Just wondering....

Just wondering...

[quote name=SW03ES}

Doesn't do Lexus or us any favors pretending that the RX is the only car on the road worth buying. Its not...there are a LOT of other great offerings in that segment...

He wasn't the one who brought up the Murano' date=' he was responding to a statement made by RX400h. I saw nothing wrong or trollish about his comments at all.

The 04-09 RX is 6 model years old...the Murano is new...comparing the new Murano to the new RX the RX has a lot more plusses, but IMHO the Murano is more vehicle than the previous RX for a lot less money.

First of all, nowhere in my post did I suggest that "the RX is the only car on the road worth buying." I'd like to see how you came to this conclusion from what I posted.

My first sentence is a tongue in cheek response, poking fun at the fact that the poster is in a Lexus forum telling us how much better his Nissan is. My second sentence suggests he go praise his Murano at a Nissan/Murano specific forum. I don't see how either of these sentences implies that "the RX is the only car on the road worth buying."

Secondly, the FIRST mention of a Nissan Murano was by Krazylexus in post #32 so yes, in fact, he was the one that brought up the Murano.