Unhappy With Rx450h

Eldor

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I had to pull out my Consumer Reports auto edition for you two Nissan fans......

According to CR, both the Highlander hybrid and Highlander gas outscore the newly designed Murano, with the Highlander hybrid trouncing the Murano's average fuel mileage by 5 MPG. In addition, the Highlanders run on regular, whereas the Murano - strictly premium.

Next, let's look at safety......

The Highlander once again triumphs with NHTSA ratings for the driver front and side as "no or minor injury likely". The new Murano's driver front rating is "Moderate injury likely".

Finally, let's take a look at reliability, shall we?

While the Murano has a better than average reliability rating, the Highlander (gas and hybrid versions) again is superior with a "much better than average" rating. Other Nissans don't fare nearly as well, with the Titan, Pathfinder, and Versa achieving an "average" rating, only.

Again, my biggest beef with comparing a new-design Murano with a 4-year old design RX400h is the huge difference in service at the dealership. Huge difference.

Of course, the original poster was talking about a 2010 RX450h, not an RX400h, so saying a brand new design of a Nissan is better than an older version of Lexus isn't helping with the discussion. Many of us (including myself) veered off track with the Nissan comments; in reality, people who are shopping Lexus are not cross-shopping Nissan. I guess I could say that a new Corvette Z06 easily outperforms a more expensive-yet-5 year old Porsche 911 Turbo, but the person shopping for a Porsche is not going to consider the Z06.

My Nissan is forsale. And I have been searching for a GS. Also possibly a ES to replace the Murano. We have had a RX300 in the past from Lexus. So I am not a Nissan fan, I just like all cars.

Either way, this is a car forum here to talk about cars. Forums compare vehicles all the time. The owner obviously isn't happy with his RX so I recommended him look at the Murano as we have one and we had a older RX.

Is there a Murano specific forum I can go to to tell everyone how much better my RX is than their Murano?

Just wondering....

Or better yet, is there a Murano specific forum YOU can go to to tell everyone how much better the Murano is than an RX.

Just wondering...

[quote name=SW03ES}

Doesn't do Lexus or us any favors pretending that the RX is the only car on the road worth buying. Its not...there are a LOT of other great offerings in that segment...

He wasn't the one who brought up the Murano' date=' he was responding to a statement made by RX400h. I saw nothing wrong or trollish about his comments at all.

The 04-09 RX is 6 model years old...the Murano is new...comparing the new Murano to the new RX the RX has a lot more plusses, but IMHO the Murano is more vehicle than the previous RX for a lot less money.

First of all, nowhere in my post did I suggest that "the RX is the only car on the road worth buying." I'd like to see how you came to this conclusion from what I posted.

My first sentence is a tongue in cheek response, poking fun at the fact that the poster is in a Lexus forum telling us how much better his Nissan is. My second sentence suggests he go praise his Murano at a Nissan/Murano specific forum. I don't see how either of these sentences implies that "the RX is the only car on the road worth buying."

Secondly, the FIRST mention of a Nissan Murano was by Krazylexus in post #32 so yes, in fact, he was the one that brought up the Murano.

Okay, I had to pull out my Consumer Reports auto edition for you two Nissan fans......

According to CR, both the Highlander hybrid and Highlander gas outscore the newly designed Murano, with the Highlander hybrid trouncing the Murano's average fuel mileage by 5 MPG. In addition, the Highlanders run on regular, whereas the Murano - strictly premium.

Next, let's look at safety......

The Highlander once again triumphs with NHTSA ratings for the driver front and side as "no or minor injury likely". The new Murano's driver front rating is "Moderate injury likely".

Finally, let's take a look at reliability, shall we?

While the Murano has a better than average reliability rating, the Highlander (gas and hybrid versions) again is superior with a "much better than average" rating. Other Nissans don't fare nearly as well, with the Titan, Pathfinder, and Versa achieving an "average" rating, only.

Again, my biggest beef with comparing a new-design Murano with a 4-year old design RX400h is the huge difference in service at the dealership. Huge difference.

Of course, the original poster was talking about a 2010 RX450h, not an RX400h, so saying a brand new design of a Nissan is better than an older version of Lexus isn't helping with the discussion. Many of us (including myself) veered off track with the Nissan comments; in reality, people who are shopping Lexus are not cross-shopping Nissan. I guess I could say that a new Corvette Z06 easily outperforms a more expensive-yet-5 year old Porsche 911 Turbo, but the person shopping for a Porsche is not going to consider the ZR1.

Actually many people who look at the RX look at the Murano, Highlander, RX, FX, you name it. I wish people were not so brand loyal blinded. Because you and a few others really show it.

First of all, nowhere in my post did I suggest that "the RX is the only car on the road worth buying." I'd like to see how you came to this conclusion from what I posted.

My first sentence is a tongue in cheek response, poking fun at the fact that the poster is in a Lexus forum telling us how much better his Nissan is. My second sentence suggests he go praise his Murano at a Nissan/Murano specific forum. I don't see how either of these sentences implies that "the RX is the only car on the road worth buying."

Secondly, the FIRST mention of a Nissan Murano was by Krazylexus in post #32 so yes, in fact, he was the one that brought up the Murano.

He did not bring up the subject of Nissan, he responded to the statement made by RX400h. It only makes sense he would reference the Murano...based on its similarity to the RX and his personal experience with it.

And the only reason to make a comment that he should find another forum to post on is that he would somehow be unwelcome to post his viewpoints here...which is not the case...trust me.

How can anyone compare the Nissan Murano to the Rx400h??

The Murano is like a tin can in comparison lol

Have you ever driven the new Murano? Its certainly not a tin can...rides and drives at least as well as the RX, and has a very nice interior for a LOT less money. The previous Murano I never cared for...although it drove well also.

Any comparison is unfair...the Nissan is not a luxury branded car. Remember...its $20,000 cheaper. Lexus service is great...which it oughta be for $120 an hour.

I'm not saying the Highlander or the RX aren't good vehicles. They're great vehicles...but the Murano is a great vehicle too and is very legitimate competition or both.

Not everybody cares about fuel economy first and foremost...if all you care about is fuel economy the RX400h is the wrong vehicle anyways.

Of course, the original poster was talking about a 2010 RX450h, not an RX400h, so saying a brand new design of a Nissan is better than an older version of Lexus isn't helping with the discussion. Many of us (including myself) veered off track with the Nissan comments; in reality, people who are shopping Lexus are not cross-shopping Nissan. I guess I could say that a new Corvette Z06 easily outperforms a more expensive-yet-5 year old Porsche 911 Turbo, but the person shopping for a Porsche is not going to consider the ZR1.

I think you're wrong. As the midmarket carmakers move upscale people are going to increasingly cross shop. I promise you people are looking at the RX and the Murano. Look at smooth1's latest purchase thread in the general forum...he bought an ML320 and drove the Murano...Subaru Outback...plenty of non-luxury brand vehicles.

Then I invite you to compare sales figures to see just what Americans are buying. I live in a very large city and based upon what I see, I can assure you, they are not buying Muranos. I see 20 RXs to every Murano. Yes, I am viewing just a sample, but I believe my sample is a good indication of what is being purchased among a larger population spread.

The RX and Highlander sell way better...no question. They produce a lot more of them too.

BUT, just because something sells slower doesn't mean its not a great vehicle. Nissan has fewer dealers, produces fewer cars. They're going to sell fewer vehicles.

Don't trust your own experience though. Being that you really like the RX you're going to notice them more in traffic than you would a vehicle you don't have interest in...like the Murano. I see a LOT of Muranos around here...not as many as the RX or Highlander...but its a very solid selling vehicle.

Have you driven a new Murano? Go drive one...

Check out this comparison test:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?cmd=...&id=4179355

He did not bring up the subject of Nissan, he responded to the statement made by RX400h. It only makes sense he would reference the Murano...based on its similarity to the RX and his personal experience with it.

And the only reason to make a comment that he should find another forum to post on is that he would somehow be unwelcome to post his viewpoints here...which is not the case...trust me.

Your original post - "He wasn't the one who brought up the Murano, he was responding to a statement made by RX400h"

I encourage you to actually read through this thread from the beginning and you'll see that, as I already stated, the first mention anywhere in this post about a Murano was from him. So again, you stated "He wasn't the one who brought up the Murano, he was responding to a statement made by RX400h" and I'm correctly pointing out that he WAS the one who brought up the Murano.

The only posts by RX400h PRIOR to the mention of the Nissan Murano by Krazylexus were #7 and #29. #7 was a post about the crappy nav system and #29 was a post about closing the thread. So which of those posts by RX400h post would cause the Murano to be mentioned FOR THE FIRST TIME in this thread?

Anyway, I'm done with this. Krazylexus, if I've offended you, I apologize.

I didn't see this post, so you're right:

Sorry to see you didn't like the RX. We had one as well, and didn't like it. We got a 09 Nissan Murano and love the vehicle vs the Lexus. Even though the Lexus had great service and you were buying a Lexus, the Murano was just better designed, quiet, better NAVI, stereo, etc.

My suggestion would be to check one out if you haven't.

However...I fail to see your issue with this post. It was directed towards the OP...who is dissatisfied with his car. He simply, and very respectfully made him a suggestion towards a car he might find more suitable because he had been in the same situation himself.

The only possible issue one could have with this post is that this poster preferred the Murano to the Lexus...and thats not fair...and you trying to paint him as a troll isn't fair either. I'm glad you apologized...because he deserved an apology.

Actually many people who look at the RX look at the Murano, Highlander, RX, FX, you name it. I wish people were not so brand loyal blinded. Because you and a few others really show it.

Brand loyal blinded..?

Let's see what I've owned..in order I might add...

1980 Honda Civic

1989 Honda Accord

1990 Honda Accord

1992 Honda Accord

1993 Nissan Pathfinder

1994 Nissan Sentra

1995 Honda Civic

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan

1988 Nissan Maxima

1992 Nissan Maxima

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle

2006 Honda Odyssey

2001 Subaru Outback H6

2006 Lexus RX400h

I certainly don't see much brand loyalty to Lexus on my part. If anything I'd say I was more of a Honda/Nissan guy. I will admit, I really liked my '92 Maxima - 4DSC for those in the know. And, for what it's worth, I actually like the new Murano (and the old one (2006 up)).

I didn't see this post, so you're right:
Sorry to see you didn't like the RX. We had one as well, and didn't like it. We got a 09 Nissan Murano and love the vehicle vs the Lexus. Even though the Lexus had great service and you were buying a Lexus, the Murano was just better designed, quiet, better NAVI, stereo, etc.

My suggestion would be to check one out if you haven't.

However...I fail to see your issue with this post. It was directed towards the OP...who is dissatisfied with his car. He simply, and very respectfully made him a suggestion towards a car he might find more suitable because he had been in the same situation himself.

The only possible issue one could have with this post is that this poster preferred the Murano to the Lexus...and thats not fair...and you trying to paint him as a troll isn't fair either. I'm glad you apologized...because he deserved an apology.

OK, Mom, as long as you're happy... :P

I thought I was done with this thread but.....

I don't have an issue with that particular post. I was only pointing it out as the first mention of the Murano in this thread, since you stated that he (Krazylexus) was not the one who brought up the Murano.

Regarding my post about Nissan forums - I don't care if he likes his Murano better than a Lexus, just thought I'd point out that that would be a great thing to post how much he enjoys his Murano....at a Nissan forum where it would likely be better utilized than at a Lexus forum.

Really though, you don't find the following statements trollish....

"the Murano was just better designed, quiet, better NAVI, stereo, etc.

Your right, it doesn't compare since the Murano performs better.

Then we decided to try the newer 07+ Camry's, within 1500 miles of both of them, the transmissions blew

I wish people were not so brand loyal blinded. Because you and a few others really show it"

Now I'm done with this thread...don't care what assinine comments follow.

No...he posted his opinion...and it is what it is. If you disagree with it...then disagree with it. Don't suggest he take his opinion somewhere else, which is what you were doing. Don't insult us both by pretending its not.

He only got slightly snippy when people started giving him a hard time about it.

Then we decided to try the newer 07+ Camry's, within 1500 miles of both of them, the transmissions blew

So...he shouldn't mention his transmission issues because this is a Lexus forum? How is making mention of real significant issues trollish?

I wish people were not so brand loyal blinded. Because you and a few others really show it"

He's right...I mean...come on...we have Ray in another thread about to go jump off a building because someone said they liked a car better than his. Its kinda ridiculous.

I've been moderating forums for a LONG time. This guy isn't a troll. He never said anything disrespectful, he never made a blanket statement about the car, he listed several points about the other vehicle he liked better in a manner that was appropriate given he original topic of the thread. All within the site's posting guidelines...all on topic. There's just no issue here.

Like I said, done with this thread, assinine, and you insult way too easily.

I do have one more apology to make, and that's to anyone who reads this post to the end and to the original poster. I've driven it waaaay off topic.

Please lock it, or delete all my meaningless, mean spirited posts.

I leave this thread for a day and it hits the toilet. At this point I think some people need a reality check

The RX is not perfect nor near perfect, no car is. The car maybe a great fit for you doesn't mean its a good fit for someone else. The RX does have it's faults (it's awd drive system in snow more than 3 inches or a little bit of sand) and the ergonomics are weird to some. the EV switch being near the left knee of the drive is an odd placement.

Sales do not equate which car is "better" it could all be a matter of perception. The RX is one of the cheapest luxury SUVs you can get(the non hybrid model). The high end highlander (hybrid and non hybrid) sells more than the RX, so does that mean that the Highlander is better (edmunds thinks so).

The OP was/is not happy with his RX, guess what it happens! the Lexus elitists are out in full force and it's sicking.

Apology accepted. I usually don't take things personal over the net as it is hard to read into what people type. So no big deal. :)

Your original post - "He wasn't the one who brought up the Murano, he was responding to a statement made by RX400h"

I encourage you to actually read through this thread from the beginning and you'll see that, as I already stated, the first mention anywhere in this post about a Murano was from him. So again, you stated "He wasn't the one who brought up the Murano, he was responding to a statement made by RX400h" and I'm correctly pointing out that he WAS the one who brought up the Murano.

The only posts by RX400h PRIOR to the mention of the Nissan Murano by Krazylexus were #7 and #29. #7 was a post about the crappy nav system and #29 was a post about closing the thread. So which of those posts by RX400h post would cause the Murano to be mentioned FOR THE FIRST TIME in this thread?

Anyway, I'm done with this. Krazylexus, if I've offended you, I apologize.

Good to see that. But from the posts I got from you, it didn't look that way. Look at it from my point of view.

Brand loyal blinded..?

Let's see what I've owned..in order I might add...

1980 Honda Civic

1989 Honda Accord

1990 Honda Accord

1992 Honda Accord

1993 Nissan Pathfinder

1994 Nissan Sentra

1995 Honda Civic

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9

1999 Dodge Grand Caravan

1988 Nissan Maxima

1992 Nissan Maxima

2000 Volkswagen New Beetle

2006 Honda Odyssey

2001 Subaru Outback H6

2006 Lexus RX400h

I certainly don't see much brand loyalty to Lexus on my part. If anything I'd say I was more of a Honda/Nissan guy. I will admit, I really liked my '92 Maxima - 4DSC for those in the know. And, for what it's worth, I actually like the new Murano (and the old one (2006 up)).

Sales do not equate which car is "better" it could all be a matter of perception. The RX is one of the cheapest luxury SUVs you can get(the non hybrid model). The high end highlander (hybrid and non hybrid) sells more than the RX, so does that mean that the Highlander is better (edmunds thinks so).

When we are talking about whether people are comparing the Murano to the RX and if you insist they are, then why are so many more peoplen choosing the RXs? Of course, you can't always equate sales to quality, but many sales trends do point to this as being the case. The Honda Civic, Toyota Prius, etc all show very high sales figures, and for good reason.

And let me tell you. We like the Murano, but we don't love it. Reason why we are going to sell it in January probably or around there with my Z and pick up two Lexus cars. I am looking to get a GS350 most likely, and she is probably getting a ES350.

The Murano is a great car, it has been reliable, but the service is terrible from Nissan. And IMHO, we are tired of Nissan's. I know the ES350 is the same drivetrain as the Camry we had, but to what I have read, the issues were resolved in the later years with both cars. So we aren't afraid to look again. All cars have problems including Lexus. But sadly, Nissan doesn't make any car that appeals to me anymore other than the Murano or Maxima.

I am sorry that me suggesting the Murano to the person as it comes nicely loaded and rides just like the RX and the size is the same, this really hurt a feel peoples passion towards the RX. So accept my apology as I was not expecting this to happen.

When we are talking about whether people are comparing the Murano to the RX and if you insist they are, then why are so many more peoplen choosing the RXs? Of course, you can't always equate sales to quality, but many sales trends do point to this as being the case. The Honda Civic, Toyota Prius, etc all show very high sales figures, and for good reason.

Many are choosing the RX because they want a Luxury Crossover. And you get all the loaner cars, more warranty, and stuff that comes with a Luxury car. Nissan, Toyota, and so on you do not. Plus the RX is the cheapest of the batch if you compare the other Luxury crossovers, so yes you will get more people buying them.

Many are choosing the RX because they want a Luxury Crossover. And you get all the loaner cars, more warranty, and stuff that comes with a Luxury car. Nissan, Toyota, and so on you do not. Plus the RX is the cheapest of the batch if you compare the other Luxury crossovers, so yes you will get more people buying them.

That is what I was trying to get at. many people will see the price tag between the two and say I can get a Lexus!!!!! many people do the same between a g35 and a (new) maxima

That is what I was trying to get at. many people will see the price tag between the two and say I can get a Lexus!!!!! many people do the same between a g35 and a (new) maxima

Same here. I looked at the Maxima, and a full loaded one was like $40k. I was like forget that. I can get a Lexus! Reason why we are looking at a new ES350 and a slightly used GS350 for me.

Same here. I looked at the Maxima, and a full loaded one was like $40k. I was like forget that. I can get a Lexus! Reason why we are looking at a new ES350 and a slightly used GS350 for me.

what year GS350 are you looking for? You could get a G37 brand new with awd for the same price as a used GS350. If you haven't test driven a G37, do it before you make your decision

Well the 07 GS350's can be had around 28-32k with 40k mile range. The G37 is in the 36k+ new range. And IMHO, I am done with Nissan/Infiniti's. I had two G35s back in 04/05. I really want to switch to a different car manufacture and be happy! :)

So that is the year I am looking at. I would love to have a GS450h if I can find one for under 34k CPO. Never know when January comes around when I am ready to make the switch, there might be some.

what year GS350 are you looking for? You could get a G37 brand new with awd for the same price as a used GS350. If you haven't test driven a G37, do it before you make your decision

The cheapest GS 450h I've seen was 38k with 43k miles on it.

Well the 07 GS350's can be had around 28-32k with 40k mile range. The G37 is in the 36k+ new range. And IMHO, I am done with Nissan/Infiniti's. I had two G35s back in 04/05. I really want to switch to a different car manufacture and be happy! :)

So that is the year I am looking at. I would love to have a GS450h if I can find one for under 34k CPO. Never know when January comes around when I am ready to make the switch, there might be some.