Warped Rotors

Had new tires put on about 2 months ago at walmart and a few weeks ago I started feelin the effects of the warped rotors now my front left rotor is destroyed :censored: . When i looked at the pads before they changed the tires they were fine. Anyone else had this problem with walmart? Im guessing they used a impact and over tightened them. Im gonna take my car to walmart today and see if they will fix it, id rather do it myself though so its done correctly. If walmart doesnt pay/fix it, ive been looking at wagner rotors/pads from autozone, are these any good?

I would go with Akebono and Brembo rotors....nice combination and they last a long time.... Tirerack.com has them as well as some other venders.

Had new tires put on about 2 months ago at walmart and a few weeks ago I started feelin the effects of the warped rotors now my front left rotor is destroyed :censored: . When i looked at the pads before they changed the tires they were fine. Anyone else had this problem with walmart? Im guessing they used a impact and over tightened them. Im gonna take my car to walmart today and see if they will fix it, id rather do it myself though so its done correctly. If walmart doesnt pay/fix it, ive been looking at wagner rotors/pads from autozone, are these any good?

I have been using Wagner rotor with Thermo quite pads for longtime.

I am happy.

lenore thanks for the site i didnt know you could get brembos for that cheap the only thing is i need them today. Thanks Camlex if walmart doesnt pay for them il go out and buy those, Also anyone dealt with walmart and this has happened? i would like to know if they would replace them for free.

I'll bite.....

How does changing tires warp rotors?

Google "over tighten lug nuts" and you find a zillion explanations of why this can happen -- especially if an impact wrench is used.

Good point! If you're going to let a garage change/rotate your tires/wheels, bring your own torque wrench and ask them to bill you the extra five minutes it's going to take them to make sure they don't overtorque your wheels.

The torque that a impact wrench is rated at is determined by the size of the hammers that are located inside the gun. A typical 1/2 impact can be rated from 250 for lower end guns, up to 800 ft lbs for the higher end. All of the guns are rated at 90 to 100 psi incoming air.

If a mechanic uses a impact on the lug nuts, they are suppose to use a torque stick to limit the amount of force applied. Of course not all do. The best most accurate way is to use a torque wrench, but that takes longer.

I have yet to see any mechanic actually set the proper torque for lug nuts, period. Not from a dedicated tire shop, not from the Lexus dealership. It's tire off, tire on, that's it. It's well worth the $40 to buy a torque wrench and make sure all lug nuts are set at the proper levels. I do this, and haven't had a warped rotor in a very long time. Also, if you're standing on your brakes at a stop light, kick the car into neutral and take your foot off the brakes for a second or two, to release the pressure of the pads against the rotor and let some cool air to get inbetween them, or inch forward to circulate the rotor/pad contact point. It's not necessarily the hard braking that warps them, it's the fact that when you come to a stop, you keep the pads firmly pressed against the rotor, which is injected that heat directly to the surface of the rotor. If you don't need the rotors right this second, then you can order oem's from somewhere like www.parts.com for about the same amount, if not less, then the aftermarkets, and you won't be dealing with any potential funky noises or issues.

Rotors are a consumable part, like brake pads. Generally you can replace the pads once or twice before the rotors need to be turned. There is generally enough metal on the rotors to turn them several times. Then you will need new rotors. If the car is driven hard, the rotors will wear out faster. Metallic pads will also wear the rotors out faster. Depending on the mileage on your car, it could just be time to replace the rotors.

ok took it to walmart and they acted like they didnt know what a warped rotor was so i went to an auto parts store and bought new rotors/pads. When i took the old pads off the front left ones were on upside down and the rotor was trashed on that side, so im guessing that was a factor in the rotor being warped too. By the way i got wagner thermo quiet pads and wearever rotors since thats all they had left, went to 2 others stores and same thing, the were really cheap so im kinda sketchy about them.