Are Aftermarket Coils Crap?

DuaneG

I am being told by a "certified" Toyota/Lexus repair person currently working on my car that aftermarket coils do not work on my car because they do not have the proper resistance necessary for my LS400. I kinda know what that means and I think it is a load of crap. Is this true?

Backstory- I had some shuddering going on when I taxed the engine- almost like backfiring- and made the determination that the coils neded to be replaced. Got to the top one, but the one under the distributor was too difficult for me, so I took it to a repair shop for them to replace it for me. NOw I am replacing both- plus some other crap.

AND- he also said I should use an OEM oil filter not an after-market because of some kind of oil sensor that tells the engine iff the filter has oil in it or something. Should I be looking for smoke being blown up my !Removed!?

D

I am being told by a "certified" Toyota/Lexus repair person currently working on my car that aftermarket coils do not work on my car because they do not have the proper resistance necessary for my LS400. I kinda know what that means and I think it is a load of crap. Is this true?

Backstory- I had some shuddering going on when I taxed the engine- almost like backfiring- and made the determination that the coils neded to be replaced. Got to the top one, but the one under the distributor was too difficult for me, so I took it to a repair shop for them to replace it for me. NOw I am replacing both- plus some other crap.

AND- he also said I should use an OEM oil filter not an after-market because of some kind of oil sensor that tells the engine iff the filter has oil in it or something. Should I be looking for smoke being blown up my !Removed!?

D

that smoke should be coming out your mouth at this point.

1-find a new mechanic

2-buy parts from reputable toyota suppliers (denso, aisin, etc...)

3-i run either Bosch or Mobil1 oil filters, no problems.

It's far more common for mechanics to use aftermarket parts because they can make a large mark-up on them. I know - I did it for years. However that was with cars where the aftermarket parts were as good as the factory stuff, in some cases better. That's not the case with Lexus parts. I can't think of any part the aftermarket makes better than Lexus does.

So I don't think the mechanic is being completely truthful - the coil either works or it doesn't and the primary resistance will be close to that of the factory unit. The oil filter thing - well maybe you mis-heard or mis-understood. Lots of filters work, and over the long term finding any difference in engine wear will be impossible, because nobody rebuilds these engines anyways. So most of the smoke being blown around on filters is from those that advocate aftermarket ones with silly names, and special coatings, and additives, and all the rest.

I'd use a Lexus coil FOR SURE, and only Toyota oil filters. That's what I do on my own cars.

I use OEM parts in my LS, Pricier initially but worth it in the long run....91 LS400 230,000 miles and running strong!!!!!

It's far more common for mechanics to use aftermarket parts because they can make a large mark-up on them. I know - I did it for years. However that was with cars where the aftermarket parts were as good as the factory stuff, in some cases better. That's not the case with Lexus parts. I can't think of any part the aftermarket makes better than Lexus does.

So I don't think the mechanic is being completely truthful - the coil either works or it doesn't and the primary resistance will be close to that of the factory unit. The oil filter thing - well maybe you mis-heard or mis-understood. Lots of filters work, and over the long term finding any difference in engine wear will be impossible, because nobody rebuilds these engines anyways. So most of the smoke being blown around on filters is from those that advocate aftermarket ones with silly names, and special coatings, and additives, and all the rest.

I'd use a Lexus coil FOR SURE, and only Toyota oil filters. That's what I do on my own cars.

what i do is learn who makes the OEM parts and then buy the cheaper but i consider better aftermarket parts. like struts for example, OEM lexus is KYB. look up those prices on all four compared to ebay where you can get all for for under $300. if you ask me the aftermarket products are slightly better because of the fact that they dont have to produce the product for a mass audience since most ppl just buy OEM meaning they can do more R&D and build a higher quality product that still fits like OEM instead of some company copying the design of the OEM parts. and since Lexus trusts them to make OEM parts i have full confidence in the aftermarket offerings. plus OEM mark up is crazy just go to a toyota dealer and you will see.

Napa sells WIX filters and are the best on the market...bar none

what i do is learn who makes the OEM parts and then buy the cheaper but i consider better aftermarket parts. like struts for example, OEM lexus is KYB. look up those prices on all four compared to ebay where you can get all for for under $300.

If you do your homework like don or know your aftermarket because you work there like python, then you can make an educated decision about value vs price in your purchase. But if you haven't (like most) and find an outrageous noname deal on ebay, you're rollin' the dice that the part isn't a piece of crap from china! Caveat emptor!

u think toyota makes their own filters? lmfao! thats like saying they make their own wiper blades

Only Napa Gold filters are made by Wix. The cheaper line is not so good.

But once again you stoop to laugh at and belittle those on this board who do not share your opinion, which thankfully, most do not.

I grow tired of you.

u think toyota makes their own filters? lmfao! thats like saying they make their own wiper blades

Only Napa Gold filters are made by Wix. The cheaper line is not so good.

But once again you stoop to laugh at and belittle those on this board who do not share your opinion, which thankfully, most do not.

I grow tired of you.

Very well said SRK.....Cheers!!!!

Thanks for all the advice. I tend to forget that I own a Lexus and I should treat it as such. BTW, I went with the OEM and the problem is fixed.

Great news :cheers: When it comes down to Toyota/Lexus electronics(especially ignition) It pays to go with OEM ............. :cheers::cheers::cheers: