Air Conditioning Filter

mickg

I noticed that my airflow seems reduced in the aircon system, and I have to use either med or high speed to get effective defrost / air circulation.

I also note that the maintenance schedule suggests replacing the air filter every 12 months, particularly if it is dusty.

I have looked, and sad to say, could not find where Lexus hides it.

Any suggestions? Is it difficult to change out?

Thanks,

Mick

open the glove compartment and remove the little cover on the glove compartment. then remove the cover from the filterbox. after you done this you will be able to pull the filter out. make sure you have a bag ready to put it in since it tend to get dusty even after 15k

On the 93 and I think on the 94, the a/c filter is removed from the bottom of the evaporator/blower assy. You have to pry off the bottom dash cover and then on the bottom of the blower assy you will find 2 wing nuts. Remove the wing nuts and cover and the then the filters (2 each actually) can be removed from the bottom of the blower. You have to fold the filter at the crease because it is too long to drop straight out the bottom without folding. They are not exactly cheap, I think I had to pay about $45 for the two from Lexus.

Curt

I have a '94 with 105K.

VMF: The only thing behind the cover inside the glovebox is an electrical connector.

Curt: Any tricks to prying off the passenger side bottom dash cover? Every time I remove covers off my wife's Volvo, I end up breaking some little plastic clip somewhere!

Thanks,

Mick

I use a thin bladed table knife, the lower cover I believe has 3 clips about evenly spaced across the front. You can insert the table knife and carefully slide it along the parting line and find the clip and then pry. These clips are made of a spring steel (at least on my car they are) and I have had them out several times for various reasons and have not damaged any of them yet. They can be a little stubborn but not too difficult. You can protect the dash material by putting a layer of tape on the knife blade. Good luck.

Curt

You're right - Mick. The terms 'Cabin filter' and 'air conditioning filter' are used interchangeably. They're the same thing!! [it took me a month to figure that out!! lol]

Speaking of which - the A/C Filter on my '93 LS is going to be changed on Tuesday. It's not cheap - $121.00 CDN - just for the TWO filters - but it's worth it - I think. Especially when 'you' consider the fact that the filter [on my car] has NEVER been replaced. [and it's supposed to be every year - on a '93]

Craig!! :)

I never knew there was a seperate A/C Filter. Is that true for all gens or not. I have a 98 and have never looked for a seperate A/C filter. I have changed the cabin filter before.

Seems as though the 1990, 1991 and 1992 LS400s do not have the cabin filter systems.

Although it would have been nice. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Help! ok ok, I've read all the posts and still am not sure of an answer. Does a 93 LS400 have a cabin filter? And if so, do you know where to get one other than the $$$dealer. Have checked most if not all internet sites and no one lists a cabin filter for a 93 LS.

Help! ok ok, I've read all the posts and still am not sure of an answer. Does a 93 LS400 have a cabin filter? And if so, do you know where to get one other than the $$$dealer. Have checked most if not all internet sites and no one lists a cabin filter for a 93 LS.

YES - the 1993 LS400 has a 'cabin filter'. [sometimes called an 'a/c filter'] The filters [because there are two of them] were changed in MY 1993 LS - just last week. The part number is #88880-50010. At least that's the part number for Canada. I'm sure it's the same in the U.S. Cabin filters first appeared in the 1993 model. Earlier LS's had no filter. The '93 model year was also the first year the LS began to use CFC free a/c refridgerant. As for finding an aftermarket filter - good luck. I never did find one. In fact - it took me quite some time to prove to myself [and my Lexus dealer - believe it or not] that my car even had such a filter.

Craig!! :)

ps Happy Boxing Day!! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Gentlemen-

I'm trying to remove the cabin air filters from the 94LS, but am having trouble. The filters are located 11" above the small access opening, and my regular size needle nose pliers can't reach them. I hate to buy a giant pair of needle-noses (Just a weekend wrench), and was wondering if there is any other tool or someting that can be rigged up to pull them out. The filters are going to be all crapped up, since I don't think they were ever changed-in 100K miles-here in the desert.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...