"professional" Engine Cleaning On A Ls400?

90LS400Lexus

Has anyone here ever personally cleaned the engine on their LS400? My old 1990 LS400 had a very clean engine, so it was never an issue, but the 1991 LS400 that I am in the process of likely purchasing on Tuesday has a rather dusty engine. Not greasy or anything, but dusty- which is good... I would rather not have a "freshly cleaned" engine, but after I get it, I do not want it to stay that way. I am hesitant about getting water on a later model engine, so thats why I am questioning this. Should I just leave it alone? I am wondering if the Lexus dealers offer special engine cleaning? If anyone cleaned it, I would prefer it to be them... does anyone agree? Any advice appreciated!

Has anyone here ever personally cleaned the engine on their LS400? My old 1990 LS400 had a very clean engine, so it was never an issue, but the 1991 LS400 that I am in the process of likely purchasing on Tuesday has a rather dusty engine. Not greasy or anything, but dusty- which is good... I would rather not have a "freshly cleaned" engine, but after I get it, I do not want it to stay that way. I am hesitant about getting water on a later model engine, so thats why I am questioning this. Should I just leave it alone? I am wondering if the Lexus dealers offer special engine cleaning? If anyone cleaned it, I would prefer it to be them... does anyone agree? Any advice appreciated!

I would consider hosing down a modern motor, maybe hitting it with some foamy cleaner and then a hose, but I would strongly discourage a pressure wash. Many sensors and sockets have weatherproof boots and so on but they dont fare well under 1800 PSI pressure. Friend did a Northstar motor with a pressure washer, couldnt start it for 4 days! If you insist on a pressure washer, dont pressure wash the intake or valve covers, just direct the stream toward the side of the block only.

Tape off with plastic sheeting all the electronics and "Steam clean " after treated with a mild cleaner. Repeat if needed. Set yourself up with a variety of brushes/old towels/and the like to get the nooks and cranny's.

Thanks for the replies guys... I think it will take more than a few damp rags.... its quite dusty. That panel against the firewall (which if I recall is some sort of felt material) is dusted over with a nice layer of dust. <_<

I was wondering if I could get the local Lexus dealer to clean it (without pressure washing), since they would know more of the areas that should not get wet. ?? I do not know how some of the owners of the LS400s keep their engines so pristine looking. The engine on my LS400 was pretty clean... here it was at 249K....

Its hard to believe I sold this car 3 years ago, which was when these photos were taken...

post-4085-1196217893_thumb.jpg

post-4085-1196217909_thumb.jpg

post-4085-1196217948_thumb.jpg

post-4085-1196218044_thumb.jpg

You would be crazy to spray water or steam or anything else on there. Just asking for trouble in my humble opinion. Use either an air compressor or a shop vac backwards and blow it off while using an old paintbrush to remove dust. After you get all that off, use an old rag and WD-40 to clean everything. Mine was fairly clean when I got it and I clean it at every oil change as part of my OCD ritual. Nothing beats elbow grease for engine cleaning. Dealers steam clean then and then spray everything with something to make it look shiny. I was just cleaning the engine of the ES330 I just bought and it had that spray stuff all over it. It had not been steam cleaned luckily since it only has 23,000 miles but they still sprayed it. Use Armorall or WD 40, get some beer and some tunes and go at it. Works for me.

Hows that old 90 400 doing LS? Mine has developed PS issues which I will be addressing shortly.

If you don't mind signing into another site like this, check out autopia.org. It's a detailer's forum I used to be pretty active on. I never touched engines due to the fears listed above, but some of the pros on there (Scottwax and others) know exactly how to make an engine compartment look like new, but safely.

If you don't mind signing into another site like this, check out autopia.org. It's a detailer's forum I used to be pretty active on. I never touched engines due to the fears listed above, but some of the pros on there (Scottwax and others) know exactly how to make an engine compartment look like new, but safely.

Thanks think for that tip!

Thanks VB for the tip! I will probably do that.

My old 90' LS400 was crashed about a month after I sold it to that girl. She did get it repaired, but not properly. Last time I saw her (about 2 years ago), she said something about the crash did something to a part to the engine and it was knocking... :cries: I have not seen her or the car since. <_< I think her boyfriend had a hand with that... I would see him in the car several times, speeding about town. <_<

I miss it, but since I will soon be getting another LS400, maybe that will help. :)

You would be crazy to spray water or steam or anything else on there. Just asking for trouble in my humble opinion. Use either an air compressor or a shop vac backwards and blow it off while using an old paintbrush to remove dust. After you get all that off, use an old rag and WD-40 to clean everything. Mine was fairly clean when I got it and I clean it at every oil change as part of my OCD ritual. Nothing beats elbow grease for engine cleaning. Dealers steam clean then and then spray everything with something to make it look shiny. I was just cleaning the engine of the ES330 I just bought and it had that spray stuff all over it. It had not been steam cleaned luckily since it only has 23,000 miles but they still sprayed it. Use Armorall or WD 40, get some beer and some tunes and go at it. Works for me.

Hows that old 90 400 doing LS? Mine has developed PS issues which I will be addressing shortly.

You are gonna do far more damage by "cleaning" it. Leave it alone.

I have never washed my engine and never will no matter how dirty it gets. Its ok to wipe.

If your motor is getting oily dirty, something is leaking. If you are getting a black soot around any A/C fittings, they are leaking, if you are getting a spatter from the fan, your fan clutch is leaking. I always try to keep a motor clean. Dust can be hosed off, but any petroleum based stain has to be addressed. If you HAVE to clean a motor, I would recommend using the degreaser setting (green foam stuff) on the local DIY car wash and I would do it on a running motor. If you hit something that makes your car stall, you know exactly what needs to be dried off. I would rinse the green off with the low pressure spot free rinse. It is at a low pressure that would not compromise the weatherproof boots or fittings and it dries without spotting. A dirty motor is concealing any leaks that it may be starting. I did this procedure on my 98 Suburban and never stalled it or had an ignition problem related to the washing and the motor was always clean for me to spot any potential problems.

You are gonna do far more damage by "cleaning" it. Leave it alone.

I have never washed my engine and never will no matter how dirty it gets. Its ok to wipe.

If your motor is getting oily dirty, something is leaking. If you are getting a black soot around any A/C fittings, they are leaking, if you are getting a spatter from the fan, your fan clutch is leaking. I always try to keep a motor clean. Dust can be hosed off, but any petroleum based stain has to be addressed. If you HAVE to clean a motor, I would recommend using the degreaser setting (green foam stuff) on the local DIY car wash and I would do it on a running motor. If you hit something that makes your car stall, you know exactly what needs to be dried off. I would rinse the green off with the low pressure spot free rinse. It is at a low pressure that would not compromise the weatherproof boots or fittings and it dries without spotting. A dirty motor is concealing any leaks that it may be starting. I did this procedure on my 98 Suburban and never stalled it or had an ignition problem related to the washing and the motor was always clean for me to spot any potential problems.

Well, I got my advice from a senior Lexus mechanic when i took it there for check-up on the day i bought my car. The engine was really dirty so I asked him about it. He told me to treat the engine like a computer especially on a high mileage car, since the rubber boots are no longer water tight. He was quite clear, no water, no steam.

But to each his own...

Hey, that engine doesn't look two bad. I prescribe several rags, some WD40, a healthy does of elbow grease and a six-pack of your favorite cold beverage. It takes awhile but you just get more satisfaction from doing it the right way. I'll try the picture thing if I get a chance.

Thanks for the replies guys... I think it will take more than a few damp rags.... its quite dusty. That panel against the firewall (which if I recall is some sort of felt material) is dusted over with a nice layer of dust. <_<

I was wondering if I could get the local Lexus dealer to clean it (without pressure washing), since they would know more of the areas that should not get wet. ?? I do not know how some of the owners of the LS400s keep their engines so pristine looking. The engine on my LS400 was pretty clean... here it was at 249K....

Its hard to believe I sold this car 3 years ago, which was when these photos were taken...

I cleaned mine with about 200K on the clock, I clean it constantly actually. I can't stand a dirty motor and it makes it hard to work on! Look it may be a little vulnerable because of some dry rotted parts but those connections are still water tight when they fasten together. If you don't want to use water fine but even with then if you just use a cleaner and a rag, is it going to fade your plastics under the hood? I know I use simple green lots of rags and a regular water hose with no nozzle, I have used a low pressure nozzle on a pressure washer as well with no ill effects. As far as the dealer knowing what parts not to get wet because they know so much about it....yeah haha don't bring it to them.

• 1 month later...

To update, now that I have the car, it was not as bad as it looked in the photos. Its mostly just light dust... not enough to wash it down.... I will probably just wipe it down some. I did get the car waxed today... looks much better... most all blemishes on the paint came off. :)

I am a professional detailer with training and i own my own shop. As long as the fuse boxes seal it is fine. Do not over use the water. use a pressure washer but not at full pressure. spray it quickly. spray it down with a degreaser. quickly spray it again until all the degreaser is off. if possible dry it with an air compressor. Keep your distance with the nozzle of the pressure washer. 1-2 feet. there is absolutely NO reason a car should not start after an engine detail if done properly and professionaly :D

I hand clean all of my cars. It really take anything special, merely some time.

Here was the day I bought my car.

LS400_1.jpg

Removed all of the plastic components.

LS400_06.jpg

My secret is to get all the loose dust and dirt off first. I typically use a professional glass cleaner ---- don't ask me why, it just works.

LS400_05.jpg

I use old socks that I can slip my hand down. After everything is back in the correct place I go ahead and use a plastic cleaner/shine.

LS400_03.jpg

About 2 hours of work.

Again, this engine didn't need water or any type of pressure washer. Just carefully removing components, cleaning them and putting them back together.

Socks, towels, q-tips and tooth brushes are your best friend.

Best,

Dustin

Very nice job Zaraone. That's exactly the way to do it (imo). Like pishta

says, you leave any oil leaks go and you'll wind up with a mess. It

will grab every piece of road dirt and crap your car can find. The more

it leaks the more layers you get. Not only it be hard to find the

source of any leaks, but any accumulation of crud will also act as an

insulator. A dirty engine retains more heat when it's running. This

will make your cooling system work harder. Also, when you turn off your

engine, it continues to heat up the engine compartment because there is

no longer any airflow to cool it down (especially if it's parked

inside). A direct result of this is deterioration of your cables,

wires, electrical components, harness, etc. Like VB says, get a

six-pack, put on the tunes and enjoy the workout.

I found an awesome product at the local autzone, its made by Black Magic. Its a 'waterless' engine clean/shine. It worked awesome! The results were pretty close to the pic of the LS above. Just spray it on and wipe it off. It gives everything the 'wet' look.

One word.... " WOW " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like something I will TRY to tackle this spring! Thats amazing!

I hand clean all of my cars. It really take anything special, merely some time.

Here was the day I bought my car.

LS400_1.jpg

Removed all of the plastic components.

LS400_06.jpg

My secret is to get all the loose dust and dirt off first. I typically use a professional glass cleaner ---- don't ask me why, it just works.

LS400_05.jpg

I use old socks that I can slip my hand down. After everything is back in the correct place I go ahead and use a plastic cleaner/shine.

LS400_03.jpg

About 2 hours of work.

Again, this engine didn't need water or any type of pressure washer. Just carefully removing components, cleaning them and putting them back together.

Socks, towels, q-tips and tooth brushes are your best friend.

Best,

Dustin