What Makes An Is Go Fast?

Jesus954

Well i have a few questions i wanna know about the power of an is300, i know a few things like you can drop a supra engine on the car and things like that so plz dont think i dont know jack about the is300 LOL but what i want from you guys that have the car for a while n know more about this car than me to answer the following questions.... make it small answer or long dont matter but answer the questions according to the cars power not luxuries.

What makes this car good(what would u say if someone says the is300 is a piece of junk nvm what that person drives lol)?

Is having this car automatic handicap me in speed compared to a manual?

If you can compare this car to other cars which ones would u say in terms of speed?

Is turbo the only way to make the IS300 go fast?

Can minor upgrades like cold air intake, exhausts etc...make the is faster?

What would be the 1st mod you would get your IS to make it go faster?

Well i have a few questions i wanna know about the power of an is300, i know a few things like you can drop a supra engine on the car and things like that so plz dont think i dont know jack about the is300 LOL but what i want from you guys that have the car for a while n know more about this car than me to answer the following questions.... make it small answer or long dont matter but answer the questions according to the cars power not luxuries.

What makes this car good?

If you can compare this car to other cars which ones would u say?

Can minor upgrades like cold air intake,exhausts etc...make the is faster?

The agonizing toils of decision you must be enduring Jesus!!! LOL!!

I'm not gonna answer this. Everyone has their own opinion.

NO, not at all. You just have to be able to control the tranny with the gas pedal instead of the clutch.

In terms of what? I don't really understand this question. To me, this question ties into the first question in that there aren't alot of cars out there you can compare it to because of the uniqueness of the IS 300.

"Fast" is a relative term. Stock, it's faster than a Acrua TL, RSX, and TSX, Nissan Altima and MAxima, Honda Accord or Civic, etc.etc. If you want the car to be faster than a 350Z, Mustang and that class, yeah, turbo or supercharger, or v8 swap is the only way.

Yes. but stompin faster? no, probably not. But 0-60 might shave a half second. 1/4 mile maybe 3 or 4 car lengths.

If your not going turbo, then a CAI would be a good first.

Oh for the love of God..... now Smooth1 is never gonna hush. This is the preverbial can of worms question.

Well, Smooth's the man who knows everything about making IS' go fast..... settle in for a good read. 8)

(nothing but respect & admiration!!)

Oh for the love of God..... now Smooth1 is never gonna hush. This is the preverbial can of worms question.

Well, Smooth's the man who knows everything about making IS' go fast..... settle in for a good read. 8)

(nothing but respect & admiration!!)

That's it. I'm a reader only from now on!!! I try to give, and share good info, and what do I get in return???? LOL!!!

And where the heck have you been lately? Been away for awhile and the only place you can find to get back on the boards is my a$$?? what's up with that? 104.gif

Try to help a brother out......1326.gif

That's it. I'm a reader only from now on!!! I try to give, and share good info, and what do I get in return???? LOL!!!

You know I love reading your posts!!! But.... I also love giving you a hard time. It's a toss up really.... :P

And where the heck have you been lately? Been away for awhile and the only place you can find to get back on the boards is my a$$?? what's up with that?

Grad school remember..... all I do is read & homework. Anyone understand elasticity & inelasticity in Economics... I'm lost on this one! You can always email me.... you remember how to do that right?? :P

Beans :lol::lol::lol:

Can minor upgrades like cold air intake,exhausts etc...make the is faster?

The agonizing toils of decision you must be enduring Jesus!!! LOL!!

I'm not gonna answer this. Everyone has their own opinion.

NO, not at all. You just have to be able to control the tranny with the gas pedal instead of the clutch.

In terms of what? I don't really understand this question. To me, this question ties into the first question in that there aren't alot of cars out there you can compare it to because of the uniqueness of the IS 300.

"Fast" is a relative term. Stock, it's faster than a Acrua TL, RSX, and TSX, Nissan Altima and MAxima, Honda Accord or Civic, etc.etc. If you want the car to be faster than a 350Z, Mustang and that class, yeah, turbo or supercharger, or v8 swap is the only way.

Yes. but stompin faster? no, probably not. But 0-60 might shave a half second. 1/4 mile maybe 3 or 4 car lengths.

If your not going turbo, then a CAI would be a good first.

yes srry some of the questions where little awkward to answer lol, so which CAI would you recommend? keeping in mind i prolly wont get turbo any time soon lol so ill prolly wanna get the most out of the intake lol i have herd of the srt brand seems to be pretty good so any recommendations?

Here's my take on the SRT.

For 450 bucks, you get the CAI, and the ECU piggyback chip which retunes the ECU for the intake. OR, you could get a CAI for about 200 bucks, then get your exhaust, header if your going to, and THEN get a chip tuned to account for the intake AND the exhaust for 3-400 bucks, which is only 150 bucks more at most, but then you come out with a better system than the SRT.

But, if you don't wanna go thru the extra steps, then just get the SRT if HP is your only goal.

Here's my take on the SRT.

For 450 bucks, you get the CAI, and the ECU piggyback chip which retunes the ECU for the intake. OR, you could get a CAI for about 200 bucks, then get your exhaust, header if your going to, and THEN get a chip tuned to account for the intake AND the exhaust for 3-400 bucks, which is only 150 bucks more at most, but then you come out with a better system than the SRT.

But, if you don't wanna go thru the extra steps, then just get the SRT if HP is your only goal.

Will there be any problems if i change the intake or anything else like engine check lights n junk i dont wanna be bothered by little things like that if i decided to put anything in the car... i know there is an alternative way with a joez something which prevents that whole engine warnings but is that the only thing that wont show after problems?

That's not a stupid question.

Here's a list off the top of my head,

AEM- EMS ( This is the one I'm using.) www.aempower.com

HKS- F-CON V PRO www.hksusa.com

MoTec- MLS/M2R www.motec.com

Unichip GP Series www.unichip.us

Unichip-Q series www.unichip.us

Power Enterprise- CAMCOM CC101 www.powerenterpriseusa.net

GReddy- E-MANAGE www.greddy.com

Spectre - EMS PRO www.spectreperformance.com

A'PEXI- POWER FC www.apexi-usa.com

Hydra EMS-Nemesis Management www.hydra-ems.com

A'PEXI - AFC NEO www.apexi-usa.com

And then there is Jet.

If you can't find a tuner, and your not even close to understanding how to tune, then you can call 877-808-3600, or go to www.jetchip.com You tell them what year, size motor and any modifications you have done, like exhaust and CAI. They will send you a package that will give you step by step info on how to remove the ECU. You put that into an overnight UPS baox they provide and you ship it to them. They get it the next day and reprogram it for you, then overnight it back to you. You reinstall it and there you go. This is probably the most cost effective way to go also.

You know I love reading your posts!!! But.... I also love giving you a hard time. It's a toss up really.... :P

And where the heck have you been lately? Been away for awhile and the only place you can find to get back on the boards is my a$$?? what's up with that?

Grad school remember..... all I do is read & homework. Anyone understand elasticity & inelasticity in Economics... I'm lost on this one! You can always email me.... you remember how to do that right?? :P

Actually, yeah I understand elasticity and inelasticity of demand in economics. I could help you help out if you were really being serious...no condescension.

What do u mean by this lol??? srry if its a noob question but if theres some way i should control the gas pedal in order to get the best out of my auto trany when racing than SPIT IT OUT!! lol

SIDE QUESTION: does weight(people in car) really affect the time mph go up alot?

cuz i raced a volkswagon jetta vr6 n/a n i had 4 people in my car he had 2 n he beat me ......

Yo, U got beat by a Jetta????? OH, FOR SHAME!!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!

Yeah, people in the car is added weight, and will slow you down. And probably alot more than you might think. Especially when you consider we could be talking about 3 passengers equalling an additional 500 lbs. Thats almost 2.5 more lbs. per horsepower!

What kind of racing are we talking about? 1/4 drag or circuit style with corners and so fourth?

1/4 mile is more about reaction and launch. You have to figure out where the most controllable power is for the take off. You have to find out what rpm is the fastest launch to start from. Then you have to understand your car set up. If there isn't a whole lot of gain in the upper rpm range, like the last 1500 rpm before redline, then shift!!!! Your wasting time by having the car go through that part of the rev band before going into the next gear. So just as the car starts to approach that spot, back your foot off the throttle and let the car shift, then press the gas pedal to the floor again. ( Or use the paddle shifter on the steering wheel.) The faster you can get thru the gears, ultimately the faster you can get the car going. If you practice, listen to the car. Get to know when the car "sounds" like it's going faster than it really is. And learn to shift then. I've actually found that the IS 300 has so much torque, that if you shift the car at about 4000 rpm, it will actually get to fifth faster and the car will stay in the most powerful area of the rev band longer. So it's better to slowly press the gas pedal further as you go thru the gears rather than just slamming the gas to the floor. In other words , try following the speed of the car with the gas pedal.

Circuit racing is about setting up for the corners. Knowing your entry angles and speed, transitioning smoothly thru the apex and being in the right gear for the exit, and holding the drift back to the outside. ( I love this kind of racing.) This could be a whole book by itself.

0.0 thats a nice tip yo lol i did notice that one time but completely forgot about it like u mentioned is not about slammin the gas pedal the whole time, cuz thats what i did lol seems the car goes as quick because u pushed the gas all the way in but it takes a while to shift and when it shifts seems as it looses strength than catches up with it but to late =\ ...some people saying all i would need is a valve-body upgrade whats that??

They don't know what they are talking about. The valve body is the transmission "brain", also called the control valve. The only time "upgrading" your valve body would have any benifit is if you were to increase the hp of the car by, say adding a turbo or supercharger, and by tuning, altered where the hp peaks, and how the torque curve is shaped. Then you would upgrade the valve body to one, be able to handle the additional load for shifting, and two, when the transmission shifts. But even if you added a CAI, exhaust, and chipped it, and underdrive pulley it, and all that, you won't need to change the valve body. If you simply want to change when the transmission shifts, there are much better approaches to that.