Trd

smooth1

So Toyota has officially launched TRD as a new manufacturing line. It is supposed to be like AMG for Mercedes in the world line. The first car is the TRD Aurion 3500S and is available in Aust. only for now.

post-42851-1187842206_thumb.jpg

post-42851-1187842220_thumb.jpg

post-42851-1187842234_thumb.jpg

I think it's a great looking car! 323 HP, 297 torque, 0-62 in 6 sec.( Seems slow for the amount of HP they post.) And why they don't offer it here is beyond me. But I will say this. The Aussies are getting robbed I think. According to what I read, this car costs $61,500 AUD. That's $49,400.00 in US Dollars. Heck for that you can get the Lexus IS-F that's coming out. The things that make you go Hmmmmm.

Well, the car is electronically limited to 155 mph. And the article I read had mentioned that there is an L package that upgrades the interior, adds sat. nav., and exhaust and badging. I think the pictures are "well equipped", and the price quoted are for that car. So I would imagine that the price goes up maybe another 5 grand? And the Evo and STI's are only on the 35 range. 55 grand buys alot of car.

It looks like a Camry and a Jetta GLI morphed into one car... which i think looks pretty darn good! TRD always translates in my head as !Removed!. Which always makes me laugh when I see TRD on one of the trucks.. "you drive a !Removed! truck! :lol:

It looks like a Camry and a Jetta GLI morphed into one car... which i think looks pretty darn good! TRD always translates in my head as !Removed!. Which always makes me laugh when I see TRD on one of the trucks.. "you drive a !Removed! truck! :lol:

1204.gif

I was wondering if they were going to emphasize the R in TRD later. I mean, that is where the name came from. Which is why I wondered about the 0-60 time they posted on the car. Either it's a very consertive number, or Toyota limiting the production speed of the car for some reason. But then badge it TRD? I don't know. I'm just a garage monkey. What do I know?

But what I was getting is that TRD is now a new line of cars like Lexus and Scion. Not just a revamp package of exsisting platforms. I imagine that in the beginning they will use some of the exsisting line up, like Lexus did in the beginning, but as time goes by they will develope their own cars and trucks. So is this to be the "hot rod" division? I look at the line up now, Lexus is the luxury line. Toyota the mid line. Scion the pocket line, and now TRD the ????? line?

But here is what puzzles me. Australia doesn't get the IS 350, only the IS 250, and now they get the TRD with 323 HP and they aren't releasing it here. How does this make sense? I guess I should have taken automobile marketing and business class in the second grade while I still had a great imagination like the rest of them.