So I Wanna Start Playing Golf

indiasfinest

I need to do some extracarricular activities and am looking for osme help.

First off, how much will it cost me annually if i go to the driving range once a week, and play 18 holes once a month (+clubs)

Second, how long will it take to actually learn the basics of golf

Third, How much will clubs cost me

Fourth, How much will shoes cost me

Thanks for your help,

PS: my community has a golf course but they are pretty expensive, they are ranked 3rd in Texas. I would prefer that i play on these holes, so keep that in mind during estimates,

lastly, i would open to all advice and insight.

Thanks again!

If your concerned about $$$, then golf is not the past time for ya. See, Golf has this way of creating a "fever". 20 bucks for a driving range becomes 80 bucks because your going 4 or 5 times a week to get better. Then you find out you can't get better on your own so you take lessons, 1000 bucks. Beginner clubs 250 bucks, but then you gotta have the latest driver, 450 bucks. and better golf balls too, 30 bucks a dozen, 50 if your getting PRo V1, then you have to upgrade your irons, 800 bucks, and the bag, (gotta look good), 250 bucks, shoes are around 100 bucks, and then there is all the clothes you'll need. All this time you have to play at rel golf courses too, so thats 50 bucks each round, and that's for " ok" courses. Here in Florida, we have 1800 golf courses, Bay Hill will set you back 275 bucks, and that's with an invite, ( It's a private course.)

I haven't even mentioned going into custom clubs and practicing in a Launch monitor.

If you wanna play golf, go in it with the idea that it's just fun. I went for my PGA card 2 years ago. I missed it by 2 strokes. I play as often as I can, but after opening my shop, I haven't had alot of time lately to play. I got down to a +1 handicap. But now I haven't stepped foot on a golf course in about 3 months.

So remember, to play golf is fun, to be good at it is commitment, with lots of practice. LOTS of practice. If you can stay on top of the expenses, and not have to have the best equipment, and all that, then the costs can stay manageable.

Golf just happens to be an expensive hobby. You might want to start off with a mid-priced set of clubs ($200 - $300) to make sure that you really like it (you'll also need shoes, a bag, balls, tees, towels, etc). After you get into it, then step up to the better quality clubs ($500+). But, do invest in a good putter & maybe a driver. They really make a huge difference (at least for me).

As far as the driving range once a week & 18 holes once a month, just price your local places out. In my area I can hit a bucket of balls for $5 - $8, fairly inexpensive. 18 holes, $100+ at our better places (I'm by Firestone which throws off the curve). Make sure you don't need a membership to play at the places you're looking at. I can't even imagine what a membership to Firestone would be. But one of our smaller places was $35k!!! Plus you still pay for your games - the memberships have benefits, but this is where things get expensive. So, about $1600 for the year, just to play (again this is NE Ohio rates.... not the rates you'll see). But we have a little Par-3 down the street from work (only need 3 clubs really) that's about $20.00. Shoes - $75.00 ish (online).

When I learned to play, it was in high school & the rules are farily straight forward. But everyone has a rules book so you don't have to remember everything (buy a rules book too). You could even take a few lessons to really get a good grasp of things. The basics of the game you can learn quickly, just a few weeks to a month or two depending on how much you dive into it. The technique - well, Tiger still practices & refines his swing so that's a continous learning thing. I highly recommend lessons for the technique at the very least. People watch tv & it looks easy - it's not. The swing is actually very technical when you're first learning & bad habits are easy to latch onto.

Here's a site for you: http://www.golfsupport.com/tips.htm & http://sports.expertvillage.com/videos/gol...g-technique.htm

Good luck!

Bay Hill

Bay Hill!!! **SNIFF** My Grandparents lived in the Bay Hill neighborhood. I think I might even have a towel left from there. My G-Pa used to take me for rides around the neighborhood in his golf cart when I was little. He'd find out when Arnold would be stopping in & take me to watch his helicopter land! Crap, you made me cry!!! :cries:

Sorry, I can tell Arnold and his daughter Amy hello for you next week if you'd like. ( I do all their personal stuff and we are in the process of updating the lodge.)

Sorry, I can tell Arnold and his daughter Amy hello for you next week if you'd like. ( I do all their personal stuff and we are in the process of updating the lodge.)

I'm gonna PM you my G-Pa's last name. I don't know if my G-Ma knows Amy, but she still keeps in touch with Peggy from time to time. They wouldn't know me. The one & only time I met Arnold, I was maybe 3... at a cocktail party (it was the 70's I guess). But my Grandparents they would know.

Simply, don't do it. If money is a factor then golf is out of the question. It will take 10 years of weekly practice to be even a passable player and that is after several thousand dollars of investment in clubs. You will want several sets since getting a newer more expensive set of clubs will surely improve your game. <_<

After you realize that it is not a self-taught game, expensive lessons will come next. Then more trips to the range and course to practice what the teaching pro told you.

You will want to play more rounds to establish your handicap so green fees will be a factor in the budget.

The physical stress on your back will eventually break it down with a herniated disk. Just look at the back problems of the pros.

I have played this game for 50 years, must have had 10 sets of clubs, a couple of dozen pair of shoes, innumerable balls, and spent a fortune at the course on green fees and buckets of balls. The best I could get was a 5 handicap.

The thing about golf is that you can always get better - maybe tomorrow will be the day the epiphany will come. Meanwhile, every shot counts against your score. This is a game where more is worse. If you hit one good shot a round, it is that shot that sticks in your memory and you are sure that with more practice then all of your shots will be just as good as that one.

The pros say, "You are only as good as your worst shot." Think about that as you struggle trying to establish a game.

Take up tennis instead.

Take up tennis instead.

:D That's a good point. Also a bit easier to travel with!

If $$$ is not a factor, then go for the golf. But just remember - it never ends - you can always be better, that's where the addiction starts.

i want golf to be a mere hobby, i dont want require that one day i will be very good or anything, its just a sport ive always wanted to play, money is not that big of a factor,

thanks for all the advice guys

Well...some people take it way to serious...I am not good and I do not even golf at all anymore...just no time...but I used to golf quite a bit with my grandfather...when I was younger.

The only advice I have is...get out of the way! If you and a buddy are learning how to play...take your time and have fun...but let the more experienced and better players play through!

I've been wanting to get more into golf too. When I was a kid we belonged to a Country Club and I was is golf camp, had all kinds of private lessons, could go use the range any time I wanted for free, used to play with my dad. It was one of those things I always took for granted and never really tried to use, now that its gone I wish I had. When my parents moved out to Annapolis and joined another club out there my dad offered me that membership as an assumption (about 6 years ago). I didn't play and I didn't take him up on it, but now I wish I had. He had been a member since 1975 and his dues were only $1,100 a month and I wouldn't have had to pay any startup fees. Now a membership at the same place is $60k to start and like $2500 a month. $1,100 would have been a stretch then but I could afford it now, I wish I had done it. Unfortunately that was probably the only chance I'll have to belong to a Country Club in this area in my lifetime. I just can't see forking out $60k+ for it...

Anyways as everyone else said it can be expensive. At first rent some clubs and hang out on the driving range to get a feel for it.

India, my advice about golf, aside from the obvious in terms of expenses & time required, is just two things...

1) You do not want some fancy light carbon fiber set of clubs for your 1st set. You probably don't want to get those until your 5th or 6th set to be honest. You'll find as you get better, you will out grow your current clubs. As a newbie, you want a club with a heavy head. The biggest mistake "and bad habit former" is to try and kill the ball with your swing...aka...hitting the ball with your arms. You want to take advantage of the centrifical spin of the club. This is far far easier with a heavy headed club. This will allow you to focus on your alignment, stance and grip, while letting the club itself to take care of the momentum force of the actual hit. Plus, the heavy clubs are fire proof, and when you get older, off to college, and trying to schmooze that hottie freshman, you'll learn the true value of a golf club....they make GREAT fireplace tools! Especially the putter!

2) Most golf shops have this tiny little book, it's about 4 inches tall by 2 1/2 inches wide, called "The Golf Instructor". They're tiny, can fit in your pocket, and cost about $4 bucks. Buy one, study it for a little while in the back yard, and then always have it with you on the course. It will tell you what you're doing wrong in terms of stance, alignment and club choice. It's the Cliff-Notes of golf.

I understand your desire to learn to play, and I am impressed. If you are capable of getting your score on 18 holes under 100, you're in good shape, and capable of playing without embarrasing yourself. I myself am the company's worst golfer, by far!! And I work for a company that has over 80 golf courses in our loan production portfolio. We're huge on golf, and known for it around the country. But I hate the game, find very little pleasure in it, and I place it next to reading War And Peace. Does that hinder me in my line of work? Yeah, a little. But I follow the #1 rule of golf to get by....I know the proper manner to hold while on the course. No Happy Gilmore crap, dress the part, have a sense of humor, and don't allow yourself to get sucked into that vapor of frustration. Trust me, those who "can" in this world would much rather be on a golf course with a crap player but good attitude, then a great player with a crap attitude. Hands down, no question about it. Losing is a life lesson that never goes away, but you'd be amazed at how many adults have forgotten the rules of the road on how to properly lose. More times than not, in the long run, you'll win by losing with grace and humor.

My personal philosophy is that if it takes a game of golf to get the deal, then the deal itself isn't strong enough to speak for itself, or I'm dealing with a potential client that maybe I shouldn't be "eye on the game, not on the money".

Hey, look at this way, golf is the only sport you can dress up to play. So atleast you can look good while you suck at it. B)

• 1 month later...

• 7 months later...

This is an old post.... but I'm going to resurrect it. Here's my dilemma:

I haven't played for about 16 years. I was called by the VP of Sales from my company on Thursday & he asked me how my game was. I said it's, ummmm, rusty. He said that I need to get ready because I'm going to be playing with him, the VP from our largest vendor & the Sales Manager @ the Hershey CC at the end of July. I'm going to update some of my equipment & just play a few holes with them. They will run circles around me & I don't want to hold them up. This is a HUGE networking opportunity so I'm certainly not going to pass it up. Luckily, one of our salesmen is going to take me - we have a little two club course just down the road from work. Also a girl that is in one of my MBA classes plays & her dad is a certified PGA instructor :cries:

I've been wanting to get back into it.... guess now it the time.

Answer: 4 seconds! Golf is the most expensive "ball contact" sport in the world!!

Yeahhhh, I think my average contact time would be a bit longer with my many swings. It's expensive, that's why corporate outings will be the way to go! No time to get addicted right now while I'm still in school with another 3 years or so to go. After that, we'll see what happens. :lol:

Answer: 4 seconds! Golf is the most expensive "ball contact" sport in the world!!

Yeahhhh, I think my average contact time would be a bit longer with my many swings. It's expensive, that's why corporate outings will be the way to go! No time to get addicted right now while I'm still in school with another 3 years or so to go. After that, we'll see what happens. :lol:

In a corporate atmosphere it will be your attitude that impresses more than your golf game or golf equipment. Don't take a clue from the men since it is "manly" to grouse and grumble, or even curse, one's golf game.

Women that have an even keel, are positive, try hard, and keep up are respected and even admired. The score is of no consequence. Sorry about the gender issue but that is just the way it is.

As far as slowing down the group, take a clue from the group ahead of your group. If they are a half hole ahead then everything is OK. If the entire hole is open then it is time to pick up the ball for that hole or skip the hole entirely and try again on the next hole - especially if it is a long par 5. If the group behind is on your rear and wants to play through then that is a disaster. Put the ball in your pocket and accompany your group to the next tee.

Last playing point: If the men are waiting to hit to the green because the group ahead is on it then you can go ahead and hit to lay up. That speeds up the game and is appreciated. Be sure to let your group know you are hitting - "I'm going to hit up". They will appreciate such an effort.

Even if you are the best golfer in the group, there is so much "macho" involved that it is best to lay low.

I truly am sorry about the sexism but having played much golf, often in mixed groups, I speak from experience.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I'm going to hit balls this afternoon. I generally parctice 3 or 4 times a week, and play 1 or sometimes twice a week. Rya, if you want to improve fast, keep a club in your hand as much as you can. Get used to having it in your hand, like around the house. In the back yard, just swing the club in the grass without a golf ball. You can get to caught up in trying to hit the ball, and forget to just concentrate on making a good swing. Really practice just sweeping the grass with the head of the golf club. That will help you get used to having the club in your hand, and help improve just making conact with the ball. Then after that, go to a driving range and get a small bucket and just practice hitting those for awhile.

Hi GDixon! How've you been?

I'm very social in business settings and will excell in the relationship building portion of the day. I'll play as many holes as I can and bow out graciously when I've had enough. The important part of the day will be the schmoozing ~ so all will be good. :D

Hi GDixon! How've you been?

I'm very social in business settings and will excell in the relationship building portion of the day. I'll play as many holes as I can and bow out graciously when I've had enough. The important part of the day will be the schmoozing ~ so all will be good. :D

Nice to have you back on the site. Know you have been busy.

My recommendation is to not pack it in after you have played less than the full compliment of holes. Rather, know your limitations and go hole by hole. Occasionally picking up on a hole at mid-point, if justified, will be seen as courteous, intelligent, and realistic in self-evaluation. That will impress your male partners.

For instance, a par 3 across water might be worth a ball or two in the lake and then simply say, "That's enough for this hole, meet you on the next tee." Of course, you will accompany the group to the green and compliment a good shot as a way of staying involved. Don't overdo it though. Complimenting a bad or mediocre shot will be seen as pandering and the involved player will not be feeling good inside despite outside appearances. You don't want to be associated with or part of those negative feelings.

Ending your day early will define you as a quitter and loser in your playing partners' eyes. Even you ultimately decide to skip some holes, end the day with a vigorous attempt at the final hole and try your very best to finish it. That positive thought will remain with your partners regardless of your score on the hole. "Gritty, stick-to-it, hard worker, good sport, spunky, upbeat" are words that come to mind for someone who tries to the end.

If this outing is a social/business/career-advancing type of atmosphere as you state, you can score many points by remaining positive. For some reason, most men see golf as a reflection of life and life with a pleasant woman is just that much richer. (I guess nowadays it is politically correct to say "significant other".)