Is 350 Or Acura Tl Type-s?

Hello everyone, I am needing to make a decision on this soon and could use some advice (I am no troll...just need some opinions).

I am looking at two cars:

07 Lexus IS 350 w/ Luxury Package & Nav (plus XM and possibly body kit)

07 Acura TL Type S w/ Nav & XM

I am a fan of both cars but I really cannot decide between the two. I like the exterior styling of the IS, the gauge lights and the name LEXUS :)

However the TL interior is a little bigger and (don't laugh), the cup holders and center console are bigger. I like the carbon fiber look much better than the wood and overall the NAV system in the Acura is really nice (have not need the IS Nav...comments plz...traffic updates?)

The biggest factor is the price...the TL Type S will run about $6-$7k cheaper and Acura is running special financing on it right now as well...but I cannot stop thinking about the IS 350 either :cries:

Please give me any feedback you have concerning these two cars...I would really appreciate it.

Hello everyone, I am needing to make a decision on this soon and could use some advice (I am no troll...just need some opinions).

I am looking at two cars:

07 Lexus IS 350 w/ Luxury Package & Nav (plus XM and possibly body kit)

07 Acura TL Type S w/ Nav & XM

I am a fan of both cars but I really cannot decide between the two. I like the exterior styling of the IS, the gauge lights and the name LEXUS :)

However the TL interior is a little bigger and (don't laugh), the cup holders and center console are bigger. I like the carbon fiber look much better than the wood and overall the NAV system in the Acura is really nice (have not need the IS Nav...comments plz...traffic updates?)

The biggest factor is the price...the TL Type S will run about $6-$7k cheaper and Acura is running special financing on it right now as well...but I cannot stop thinking about the IS 350 either :cries:

Please give me any feedback you have concerning these two cars...I would really appreciate it.

I have compared these vehicles so much, that - for most people, it would drive them insane... I have finally made up my mind and I am getting the 350.

The TL Type S is nice, but 0-60 isn't close to the 350, does not have SmartAccess system (which is more important than you think, most REALLY like it), Xenon AFS system (steerable/auto-leveling lights - pretty awesome safety feature), nor does it have Ventilated Seats. Insurance was cheaper for the 350 than the Type S was for me, too. Also, the Total Cost to Own by Edmunds is less for the 350 compared to the TL (which doesn't even include the Type S, bigger engine, bigger brakes; overall higher cost to maintain). The front end is, at least for me, sexier on the TL, but I mean look at the 350 - it is overall more amazing to me - in every aspect - including exterior and interior.

Just my two cents worth though...

I was highly disappointed in the performance and handling of the TL when I drove it. After driving the IS350, there's no doubt which is the better car.

Very much in agreement.

Considering the price of the TL Type-S, I just expected more.

I own a fully loaded 06 MDX Touring, so I'm not an Acura basher or anything.

They tried so hard to sell me the TL, offering me the car for a day 6 different times.

I drove it and drove it but it never left me with the fire like the IS did.

If I were you I would post the same question on the Acura board and see what the feedback looks like.

My opinion?;

Acura TL is 70% Luxury, and 30% sport. Turn in is slow, the motor doesn't produce torque or HP until way to high in revs resulting in an almost apologetic acceleration.

IS300 is 55% luxury and 45% sport. Turn in is great with a bit of understeer, inline 6 is just the best as far as smaller engine performance, especially as you wave to the TL as you blow by them, and continue to pull away. Feed back and feel are where it should be for a car like this. The only thing I think the IS line is missing is a long history to evolve from.

So if you like luxury, then TL, if you like performance with luxury, IS.

It comes down to this - what is most important to you in a car?

The IS350 is far sportier - the ride is firmer, it has rear wheel drive, a smaller trunk, less interior space, and costs more.

The TL is more of a grand tourer - softer ride, front wheel drive, bigger interior, bigger trunk and costs less.

I would say the TL is the best value on the road right now. But if you want more extreme performance, go with the Lexus.

It comes down to this - what is most important to you in a car?

The IS350 is far sportier - the ride is firmer, it has rear wheel drive, a smaller trunk, less interior space, and costs more.

The TL is more of a grand tourer - softer ride, front wheel drive, bigger interior, bigger trunk and costs less.

I would say the TL is the best value on the road right now. But if you want more extreme performance, go with the Lexus.

Careful... you go on to an Acura Forum with this question and all you'll get in return is that rediculous Willow Spring discussion where the 07 Type-S beat out the 07 IS350 and 07G35S by 2+ seconds.

:chairshot:

Everytime they do this just burns my a$$!!! Look, track times are not all car. The TL has better stock brakes. That's what made it faster. And it's about how the driver relates to that car. If you feel more confident on the brakes going into a corner with a certian set up then you will go faster. They did that comparison under stock settings. Every race car driver will tell you that "set up" is everything. The car itself is secondary. So when you drive to work with the revs kept up around 5000 rpm, trail braking the corners as you leave the apex passing that mini van full of soccer moms, than maybe the TL will show it's slight advantage because it has better brakes. But not in acceleration, and out right cornering.In most cases, real world drivers don't even know what trail braking is. So that track comparison is not the whole story. Track comparisons put brakes, steering feedback, suspension, acceleration, and driver in one catagory and " the winner is,,". But if you can set up the car and do it the way it should have been done, then I'm sure the results would have been very different.

By the way, I'm not an Acura hater. I have owned many Honda's. Most notably a CBR 1000 RR. I think that Honda has some of the finest motors and best fit and finishes. But in this case, Toyota has the upper hand with the IS model. I almost think that the TLS is more in the ES class. Of between those 2, I think the TLS is a better handling car.

Also, the Total Cost to Own by Edmunds is less for the 350 compared to the TL (which doesn't even include the Type S, bigger engine, bigger brakes; overall higher cost to maintain).

I thought Acura TL had a smaller engine (than the IS350) ;)

Or does TL Type-S have a 3.5 now (which, BTW is still not bigger than the 3.5 in the IS)

Also, the Total Cost to Own by Edmunds is less for the 350 compared to the TL (which doesn't even include the Type S, bigger engine, bigger brakes; overall higher cost to maintain).

I thought Acura TL had a smaller engine (than the IS350) ;)

Or does TL Type-S have a 3.5 now (which, BTW is still not bigger than the 3.5 in the IS)

The 07 TL-S sports a 3.5 V6, donated by it's big brother, the RL.

It's only putting out 286HP @ 6200 RPMs though.

Willow Springs was a track test.

I don't drive my cars on a track, I drive them on a street.

The TL-S does not stand a chance against an IS350 on the street.

I've driven both.

The IS350 is silly fast.

The TL Type-S, while fun to beat on, is quick, but not anywhere near the IS.

trust me go for the is. the acura isn't that great of a car and it's also pretty pricy for that car too. The acura is more roomy but the is, is more satisflying. But just my opinion.

If someone has personal attachment to Honda product I would recomment a TSX instead of TL. It is much better built in Japan and not in Ohio. So you can actually find good loooking even gaps in sheet metal. Also it is very loveble small front wheel drive toy not trying to pretend to fight 0-60 or have a big torque.

So we are all agree that IS belong to different category comparing to TL as far as refinment, resale value, and emotonal total satisfaction.

Just to be fare I enjoyed driving old style TL-type S given it was a good value for $29k. I only wished that it was a rear wheel drive with manual.

Well I officially put down my deposit on an IS 350...

07 Lexus IS 350

Smoky Granite (Exterior)

Black Leather (Interior)

Premium Package:

Auburn Bird's-Eye Maple Interior Trim

Perforated Leather-Trimmed Interior

Heated & Ventilated Front Seats

Lexus DVD/NAV

Bi-Xenon HID Headlights

18" Alloy Wheels

Preferred Accessory Package

Rear Spoiler

XM Satellite Radio

07 Lexus IS 350

Smoky Granite (Exterior)

Black Leather (Interior)

Premium Package:

Lexus DVD/NAV

Bi-Xenon HID Headlights

18" Alloy Wheels

Rear Spoiler

XM Satellite Radio

Congrats!

Sounds like a nice ride.

Good luck surviving the delivery wait. :cries:

Just so you know, it's faster than a 350 Z also. 0-60 and 1/4 mile, and of course stock. My sales guy argued with me today about that as this debate crept into the office. He owns a 2006 350 Z. ( He's buying lunch tomarrow.) :whistles:

07 Lexus IS 350

Smoky Granite (Exterior)

Black Leather (Interior)

Premium Package:

Lexus DVD/NAV

Bi-Xenon HID Headlights

18" Alloy Wheels

Rear Spoiler

XM Satellite Radio

Congrats on your choice to go with the IS. Hopefully your dealer can find what you want soon. If its going to be special-ordered from the factory, you'll end up with an '08 model and earliest it will get here is October from what I heard.

Congrats!

Sounds like a nice ride.

Good luck surviving the delivery wait. :cries:

My car is coming in this weekend or early next week :) Was already arriving, that was also a factor that pushed me towards the IS

Road and Track pits three "near-luxury" sports sedans against one another. While the article is sure to note that the competition was quite close amongst the competitors, the numbers give the victory to the Lexus IS 350. No mention is given to the scoring criteria, but the review favors the Lexus for the quickness and quietness of the vehicle, as well as its commodious interior. (the other 2 were the TL-S and the G35...)

A brief summary...

“Near luxury.” The cars represented here have been referred to as such in the past, but let’s be frank, it’s an erroneous moniker that fails to appropriately describe what these machines are all about. Slapping the word “near” on anything usually results in a negative connotation — try telling your wife or girlfriend she’s near beautiful — and, after a brief drive in the Acura TL Type-S, Infiniti G35 Sport and Lexus IS 350, it becomes clear that these are luxury cars a with high sporting intentions. Senior Editor Jim Hall, Assistant Road Test Editor Jonathan Elfalan and I took these upscale Japanese cars to Santa Barbara, California, where we subjected them to the area’s endless ribbon of twisty mountain roads. The more we drove, the more their true nature became evident. These cars are genuine sports sedans that offer a lot more spice and excitement than their larger, more luxurious big brothers, and may well be the sportiest things with four doors. Which one provided the most thrills? Read on.