New Head Unit For The '96?

ED.

I was driving our '96 LS last weekend and the radio is acting crazy. It does random stuff most of the time and will evetually just get stuck and force you to listen to whatever station/song it landed on. I am looking for a new head unit on eBay but should I be careful? Its a '96 with the Nakamichi but I am not too familiar with Lexus radios though. I would have to get a Nak HU from a 95-97 right?

Thanks!

I was driving our '96 LS last weekend and the radio is acting crazy. It does random stuff most of the time and will evetually just get stuck and force you to listen to whatever station/song it landed on. I am looking for a new head unit on eBay but should I be careful? Its a '96 with the Nakamichi but I am not too familiar with Lexus radios though. I would have to get a Nak HU from a 95-97 right?

Thanks!

Sure sounds like a bad/loose connection behind the buttons. I would get in there and start wiggling wires before replacing anything.

Thanks!

If you find you need a HU let me know I'll have one for you with warranty.

and I can attest that DC's stuff is goood!!! I'm thumpin' with my replaced oem sub, thanks to him!

:cheers:

and I can attest that DC's stuff is goood!!! I'm thumpin' with my replaced oem sub, thanks to him!

Can a Nakamichi head directly replace a Premium Head, or is there more to do to upgrade?

tnltracy, What year and model ?

Can a Nakamichi head directly replace a Premium Head, or is there more to do to upgrade?

I also have some common issues with my stereo....ussual backlight and lcd is bad....bunow its acting funny with sound, looks like apmis about to go. Mine is 96 LS (Not Nakamichi). Would you have pills for my sickness?? :wacko:

I also have some common issues with my stereo....ussual backlight and lcd is bad....bunow its acting funny with sound, looks like apmis about to go. Mine is 96 LS (Not Nakamichi). Would you have pills for my sickness??:wacko:

Do you want both ?

Mine's a 96, just picked it up Friday night! Sorry about the thread hijack, can't seem to find anything on what's involved in upgrading to the Nakamichi

Mine's a 96, just picked it up Friday night! Sorry about the thread hijack, can't seem to find anything on what's involved in upgrading to the Nakamichi

Replace the headunit, amp and subwoofer. It is plug and play. The rest of the speakers are cross compatable.

• 4 weeks later...

While on the topic....

New LS Owner here.

My 99 LS400 has the Premium Sound System. If I upgrade to the Nak system, is it plug and play or more involved? Is it essential to change the amp and sub too, or can I do that at a later time and just do the head unit?

Many thanks in advance.

Glenn

While on the topic....

New LS Owner here.

My 99 LS400 has the Premium Sound System. If I upgrade to the Nak system, is it plug and play or more involved? Is it essential to change the amp and sub too, or can I do that at a later time and just do the head unit?

Many thanks in advance.

Glenn

If I remember correctly the amp on the Nak in my 00 LS is rated at 280 watts; the standard system amp is 195 watts. The wiring harness to the amp is different between the Nak and standard systems on the 98-00 LS -- different number of connectors but the same total number of pins if you add up all the pins on the connectors in each system. There may be other differences but the amp is the only part of the system I have looked at.

I doubt if the Nak is that much better than the standard system but I have never done a comparison listening to the same music on both systems. The main other differences I have noticed is that the Nak does not have ASL and its tone and balance control knobs stick out rather than being flush. The Nakamichi company went into the Japanese equivalant of bankruptcy in 2002 http://www.stereophile.com/news/11272/ and I do not know if they recovered.

While on the topic....

New LS Owner here.

Many thanks in advance.

Glenn

Yes, You can upgrade. You will need a custom made wiring harness for the nak system. You have to change everything over except the speakers which are cross compatable. I have the entire nak system/wiring harness that would make it plug and play. If you are serious about upgrading let me know.

I have a 1995 Lexus LS 400 with a dead Pioneer head unit. Can I replace it with the Nakamichi and do I need to rewire for my speakers and cd player. I do not believe I have a subwoofer. Any Ideas where I can get a replacement and the price? I have been scouting ebay but I think I would like to go to the Nakamichi.

Thanks

I have a 1995 Lexus LS 400 with a dead Pioneer head unit. Can I replace it with the Nakamichi and do I need to rewire for my speakers and cd player. I do not believe I have a subwoofer. Any Ideas where I can get a replacement and the price? I have been scouting ebay but I think I would like to go to the Nakamichi.

Thanks

On UCF20 Series I LS400's, the Nakamichi and Pioneer systems use the same wiring harness. You'd need a new headunit, amplifier and subwoofer. You know that speaker cover behind your third brake light? A subwoofer lurks beneath. Dcfish can sell you newly refurbished units to do this conversion. I'd be doing it myself if I didn't need new tires (priorities, priorities :whistles: ).

Thanks

On UCF20 Series I LS400's, the Nakamichi and Pioneer systems use the same wiring harness. You'd need a new headunit, amplifier and subwoofer. You know that speaker cover behind your third brake light? A subwoofer lurks beneath. Dcfish can sell you newly refurbished units to do this conversion. I'd be doing it myself if I didn't need new tires (priorities, priorities :whistles: ).

Thanks. I'll email him to see if he can help.