Uh-oh, Timing Belt Need Replacing?

landar

I was reading my owner's manual and noticed that the recommended mileage for replacing the T-belt is 90k OR........

72 months(six years). My LS400 only has 62k miles but it is well over the 6 year limit at 9 years of age.

She runs flawlessly, however, I only put about 10k miles on her per year and at that rate I wont make 90k miles for

another 3 years. It will then be 12 years old, more than double the recommended time to replace the belt!

Can I dare to push it that far?

Check your belt and see if there is any wear. Better safe then sorry I guesse. Because you got some time and it may not be needed, why not try to do it yourself over a weekend or something :P

Is it fairly easy to do? I mean, there are not many jobs that I am afraid to tackle and I have even rebuilt engines before but I just got her and like a new father, dont want to break my "baby" :rolleyes:

It is no easy job , you need to take the cam cover off to see the belts condition.

You could do a quick look and just take the covers off each side of the heads (distributors) then turn the engine a few times to get a look at different parts of the timing belt, I did the same while doing a tune up and the belt was in very good shape (no frays or cracks evident at all) so it'll wait till fall when I have another look. Takes about an hour to do.

I just changed the TB on my '93 and it looked to be in perfect condition, but given the age I'm sure there was some dry rot or internal damage I couldn't see. My idlers were caked in muck and sang when spun by hand. Given that it's already been so long, and it's going to be a long time before you'll have to do it again, I would go ahead and do it. Checking your belt won't give you any indication of the condition of your idlers, and if they seize it doesn't matter how good your belt is.

Your engine is interference, if anything goes wrong in the TB assembly you're out an engine, I'd say do it for the idlers more than the belt, but do it all (water pump included, only go in there once)

I just changed the TB on my '93 and it looked to be in perfect condition, but given the age I'm sure there was some dry rot or internal damage I couldn't see. My idlers were caked in muck and sang when spun by hand. Given that it's already been so long, and it's going to be a long time before you'll have to do it again, I would go ahead and do it. Checking your belt won't give you any indication of the condition of your idlers, and if they seize it doesn't matter how good your belt is.

Your engine is interference, if anything goes wrong in the TB assembly you're out an engine, I'd say do it for the idlers more than the belt, but do it all (water pump included, only go in there once)

Are all the ls engines interference? Or is it just the newer ones? I have read so many posts about interference or not I am confused. Supposedly the older es is not but the newer ones are, the newer ones have the variable timing.

up to 94 are not interference. 98 and up are interference. there is still some uncertainty as to 95-97, but given that they have an increased compression ratio and several accounts of valves being bent, I'd believe 95-97 to be interference as well.

Like you, I have a 98 that was below the 90K mileage limit but past the age limit. Two dealer service reps, a former dealer repair guy and an independent guy told me to wait until sometime between 90K to 100K, essentially ignoring the age limit. So I waited and just had it done at 9 years and 90K. The belt looked fine. That said, I'm not sure that checking the belt (which is harder in a 98) helps; the independent I talked to said that he'd seen broken belts before, but only in one case did the belt really break on its own. In all other cases (I don't know if was 2 cases or 200), the belt broke because the water pump seized. If that's true, I don't know that just checking the belt should give you a warm feeling that everything is OK.

You might want to check around with people who work on these cars every day and get their advice. You'll probably hear several answers. Pick the one that makes you feel the most comfortable.

Good luck and enjoy your ride!

Thanks for all the advice. Looking at the pics showing how to replace the T-belt, the belt looks very "beefy" as does just about everything in this car. I am going to wait a while longer and consult with the Lexus mechanics. I just had her in for the 60k mile service and the T-belt never even came up. The mechanic did say that the 4.0 liter engine is just about indestructible. The shop had never even had to completely dissassemble or rebuild one.

A seized water pump is probably about my biggest fear as that could shred the belt but the antifreeze has been changed faithfully throughout the years(keeps lubricants fresh in the pump and seals). I will keep an eye on the pump and for coolant leaks.

:wacko:

I have a 2000 Lexus LS400 with 87,500 miles and it is due for service at 89,750. this becomes 90k mile service which suppose to check the timing belt. Lexus service tech writer stated they would inspect the belt, but usually you wouldn't need to change it until at least 120K miles. My question to you all, If I have an Extended warranty, would the timing belt replacement be covered. my tech writer states no. When I had purchased this extended warranty, the Lexus dealership person who sold it to me stated yes, so I had asked him this question 2 times, if and when the engine mileage reaches 90K, and the tech writer stated that this vehicle needs a new timing belt, would this warranty cover it. he stated yes. I dont regret buying this extended warranty, because I have used it already, and have recoup my money already. :cheers: Just wanted your opinions. thanks to all .

92silverls400,

It probably will come as no great surprise that in their zeal to sell, the salesman will offer you the world. Thats why salesmen are, well, salesmen. However, when it comes time to making good on a "handshake", they suddenly have "no recollection" of having promised any such thing. If you have the T-belt replacement warranty in writing then you may have a case. Any warranty I have seen does NOT include "normal" wear and tear(tires, brakes, timing belts, etc). A timing belt needing replacement at 90k is considered normal wear and tear.

I had an original timing belt with only 83k miles, but 17 years old. Replaced it recently, and no problems. Wouldn't worry too much about the age uness you're in an incredibly dry climate.

Thanks mud. Thats the kind of age report I am looking for. My concern still remains on the water pump. Did you happen to have that replaced earlier than the 83k miles? If you got 83k out of a water pump, that is amazing. But..... it is a Lexus so maybe I should not be too amazed :rolleyes:

I have a 96 LS that's below the mileage limit, but way past the time limit. To be honest, I never realized there was a time limit and have always just assumed that I'd change it out at 90K. At the rate of miles I'm putting on, I'll probably be doing this in the spring of 2008. I'll deal with the water pump at that time as well.

keep in mind that with 95+ LSs putting off a timing belt/water pump job could mean death for your engine if an idler or your water pump seizes.

an ounce of prevention and all that. if you're already that close couldn't hurt to do it early, and then not worry about it for another 10 years.

92silverls400,

It probably will come as no great surprise that in their zeal to sell, the salesman will offer you the world. Thats why salesmen are, well, salesmen. However, when it comes time to making good on a "handshake", they suddenly have "no recollection" of having promised any such thing. If you have the T-belt replacement warranty in writing then you may have a case. Any warranty I have seen does NOT include "normal" wear and tear(tires, brakes, timing belts, etc). A timing belt needing replacement at 90k is considered normal wear and tear.

Landar,

Thanks for the reply, taking my chance that they may honor it. I did write down what he told me on the warranty form the same day I purchased it. I guess when i do the 90K miles service, and the service writer tells me the timing belt is okay, and no need to change it. at least it will be written down. and if the T belt does go out later, then everything will be cover by the warranty, before it expires. :chairshot:

if you're talking about a 92, then waiting until it fails isn't going to cause engine death. you can put it off if you want.

if you're talking about a 95+, have that job done before your warranty expires. you don't want to be solely responsible for a new engine.

92silverls400,

Landar,

Thanks for the reply, taking my chance that they may honor it. I did write down what he told me on the warranty form the same day I purchased it. I guess when i do the 90K miles service, and the service writer tells me the timing belt is okay, and no need to change it. at least it will be written down. and if the T belt does go out later, then everything will be cover by the warranty, before it expires. :chairshot:

Be careful of the "if failure is caused by a non-covered part" clause in your warranty. :wacko: