Brake Fluid Replacement

Hi everyone... My 2002 GS300 has 87,000 miles on it and I would like to change the brake fluid when it hits 90,000 miles. Just wanted to know if anyone has done this before. I can do simple things as a mechanic, but not a pro. Is this something I can do on my own or should I take it to a mechanic? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi everyone... My 2002 GS300 has 87,000 miles on it and I would like to change the brake fluid when it hits 90,000 miles. Just wanted to know if anyone has done this before. I can do simple things as a mechanic, but not a pro. Is this something I can do on my own or should I take it to a mechanic? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

You could do it yourself but itll take a lot longer. It’ll just take longer since you don’t have a lift. Ive done it in the driveway several times the most time consuming thing is to lift each side of the car. You just have to bleed each brake caliper until clean fluid comes out of the caliper. There are bleeding procedures so look it up before you bleed them. After you bleed each brake make sure to put more brake fluid in the reservoir so it doesn’t ruin dry and you have a major problem on your hands.

Soak the bleeders in PB Blaster before you start so they loosen easier. If they are really rusted in there keep soaking them and you might want to try flare wrenches so you dont strip the bleeder.

Make sure you us the correct brake fluid grade (Dot 3 or Dot 4)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Or umm, you could try one that originated from LOC..... http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=14729

I have a 2001 GS300 and it didn't bleed in the conventional way. I would assume the 2002 would be the same way.

I have a pressure bleeder that I bleed my other cars but I couldn't use on the GS because there was too much crap around the master cylinder. But when I tried to do it the conventional way, I couldn't get any pressure to build by pumping the brakes. I had to turn the ignition on and there is an electric pump that pumped brake fluid through. I wasn't planning on bleeding the entire system (I had just changed the pads) but I think it easily could have done what my pressure bleeder does. Just keep the reservoir topped up.

I don't know if this would be considered the right way to bleed these but I was surprised (good way) by my experience. I thought what an easy way to bleed the system (whenever I get to that).

• 2 weeks later...
Or umm, you could try one that originated from LOC..... http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=14729

I have a 2001 GS300 and it didn't bleed in the conventional way. I would assume the 2002 would be the same way.

I have a pressure bleeder that I bleed my other cars but I couldn't use on the GS because there was too much crap around the master cylinder. But when I tried to do it the conventional way, I couldn't get any pressure to build by pumping the brakes. I had to turn the ignition on and there is an electric pump that pumped brake fluid through. I wasn't planning on bleeding the entire system (I had just changed the pads) but I think it easily could have done what my pressure bleeder does. Just keep the reservoir topped up.

I don't know if this would be considered the right way to bleed these but I was surprised (good way) by my experience. I thought what an easy way to bleed the system (whenever I get to that).

This is exactly what I did to my 99 GS300 when I replaced my fluid last week. :cheers: