How Does The Rear Radio Work?

mark681

I don't own an LS, but I've noticed the rear radio buttons. How does this work, because I don't notice any headphone jacks. Does the rear audio just play through the rear speakers? Just curious, thanks

What "rear radio buttons" are you talking about? The radio controls in the backseat armrest of the LS430 with the relatively rare (and costly) Ultra Luxury package which allow the rear seat passengers to scan radio stations/cd tracks and control audio system volume?

What "rear radio buttons" are you talking about? The radio controls in the backseat armrest of the LS430 with the relatively rare (and costly) Ultra Luxury package which allow the rear seat passengers to scan radio stations/cd tracks and control audio system volume?

yeah, thats what I'm talking about. I'm just curious if it works like my SUV where the people in the back can listen to something different than the front.

It controls the whole stereo from the back.

Thanks for letting me know. Although this feature would be nice for executive people, it wouldn't be practical for a family. Because the kids in the back would be messing with the radio, ect. Then you would have to lock the rear controls (pressing and holding mode down). You think Lexus could have created a system like SUVs where the rear passengers can listen to something besides what the front passengers are listening to. This setup is a lot more practical.

Thats just my opinion though. :rolleyes:

The setup is designed for the rear passenger who is being driven to control the stereo independently of the driver. Its not really practical you're right. My dad's 04 is a UL, if I were buying an LS I'd skip the UL package personally.

Here is some trivia about radio remote controls:

Some of the more expensive European made radios had a connection for a simple remote control at least as far back as the mid 1950's.

The 1956 Mercedes 190SL I owned had a remote control on the steering column that changed radio stations on its Becker Mexico radio -- it looked a bit like a turn signal lever. Some of the more expensive 1950's era (and newer) Mercedes sedans had simple (foot operated!) radio remote controls for back seat passengers. The remotes could be connected "in series" so that, in theory, every passenger could have his own.

The really "sick" part of this story is that I just now went out to the garage and found one of these old foot operated remote controls in a box -- it is unused and looks brand new. Even sicker, I bought it decades ago and I knew where it was stored.

Here is some trivia about radio remote controls:

Some of the more expensive European made radios had a connection for a simple remote control at least as far back as the mid 1950's.

The 1956 Mercedes 190SL I owned had a remote control on the steering column that changed radio stations on its Becker Mexico radio -- it looked a bit like a turn signal lever. Some of the more expensive 1950's era (and newer) Mercedes sedans had simple (foot operated!) radio remote controls for back seat passengers. The remotes could be connected "in series" so that, in theory, every passenger could have his own.

The really "sick" part of this story is that I just now went out to the garage and found one of these old foot operated remote controls in a box -- it is unused and looks brand new. Even sicker, I bought it decades ago and I knew where it was stored.

Wow, thats very interesting! I never knew that they had that feature that long ago! Now if Lexus were around in that time period, I'm sure that they would have come up with something just as cool. ;)

My parent's Toyota Crown (1986) (in Trinidad) has controls for the whole stereo in the back seat but in addition, inside the armrest pocket in the rear seat, it has an individual tape player and radio tuner. It also has rear heated seats and massage on the passenger side in the back.

The other Toyota Crown they own (1992) has an onboard TV/Computer/Navigation (stock) and even has in infrared remote like you'd have in your house.

My parent's Toyota Crown (1986) (in Trinidad) has controls for the whole stereo in the back seat but in addition, inside the armrest pocket in the rear seat, it has an individual tape player and radio tuner. It also has rear heated seats and massage on the passenger side in the back.

The other Toyota Crown they own (1992) has an onboard TV/Computer/Navigation (stock) and even has in infrared remote like you'd have in your house.

Really!?! I'm finding this all so interesting. I never knew that! Could you send a picture to me of the rear controls if possible? Thanks

This is the rear controls on the 1992 Toyota Crown

71j.JPG

This is the TV/Navi in the 1992 Crown (RHD obviously)

131j.JPG

126h.JPG

I'm searching for some pics of the rear controls and the armrest controls in the '86.

Ok i found the controls in a 1989 Toyota Celsior (LS400). It's the same in the car that my parents own.

This option wasnt offered in the US in the 1990 LS

135e.JPG

*Here we see the controls for the rear seat recliners at the top of the armrest (far left of pic)

*Just below that is the controls for the stereo and for the Rear independent A/C

*The two bottons below that are for the rear seat heaters (on my parent's '86 that control was on the door armrests)

*Below that is the tape player and the two headphone jacks below it.

*The little box above the headphone jacks is the case for the headphones.

*And in the pocket section you can see the remote control for the TV.

Cool stuff especially considering that in Japan all that was available in 1986!!! :o

Thanks for the great pictures! I don't know what it is, but I find it interesting to learn about rear controls. Its really cool that they had this back in the 80s!

I have one question though: What do the buttons in the first picture do? Do they go along with the buttons in the armrest or did they discontinue the armrest buttons in 1992?

The last picture looks very similar to the current lexus LS rear controls. But I guess since lexus is owned by toyota, it makes sense.

The ones in the first picture are standard...yes standard equipment.

The ones in the armrest are optional features.

Both work at the same time but i guess you don't always have your armrest down...

Soon as they're legal to bring into Canada i plan on getting one of these.

It's a 92 Toyota Crown Majesta. It's Toyota's best below the Celsior (LS) and the Century.

They're RHD only but they have all the features of an LS and more and it comes with the same engine.

The current Majesta is simply a sight to behold...IMO anyway.

136317_2.jpg

136317_3.jpg

49990_4.jpg

I LOVE these cars.

Current Model

2004_crown_majesta_7.jpg

2004_crown_majesta_2.jpg

What are the buttons on the first picture? I can't read it. Where did you find these pictures? What did you google? lol, sorry I asked like 3 questions there.

Top set is for the rear A/C controls. (ON/OFF; Temp up/down digital; blower speed)

Bottom set (next to lighter) is stereo controls (tuning; vol; mode; ON/OFF)

44i.JPG

Attachments don't work right now for some reason i have better ones but they're in my PC.

My dad imports from Japan to Trinidad so i have passwords for a lot of the Japanese auction sites where they have lots of pics.

Here are a few more pics of LSs to add to the collection....

GenII with rear air/stereo: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132904

High res pic of Gen I rear console: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread...light=back+seat

Is that shag carpeting in that '92 Crown? LOL

In Asia, a person who can afford a Lexus will definitely sit in the back but a 1991-95 Acura Legend with navigation in the FRONT........man come on now

navi5ns.jpg

p2041ff.jpg

btw: nice links Blake people at CL have great pics

Thing is though, in Japan, navigaton/TV was available from the factory in cars as lowly as the civic since the early 90's.

This image is from a 94 Japanese Civic and that is stock equipment! Expensive option for a Civic buyer tho.

navi.jpg

Speaking of Japanese advances and individuality, how's this for the new bB (known in North America as the xB).

rasuty1130jp-img600x450-1148302982dscf0014.jpg

rasuty1130jp-img600x450-1148302989dscf0015.jpg

Think they would bring this beast to our parts?

I think the first one was pushing it...

Facinating thread...I had heard the first generation LS cars in Japan had massage seats but never saw it before. They also had rear-view exterior mirrors that vibrated ultrasonically; clearing them of rain droplets. (sigh).

Thing is though, in Japan, navigaton/TV was available from the factory in cars as lowly as the civic since the early 90's.

Yes navigation is very popular in Japan because many older streets don't have consecutive numbers! (Yes I know, this is the country that invented the Hybrid Car and yet no consecutive street numbers).

The the Century and Celsior (and many other Toyota and Lexus models) have had G-Book Alpha for a couple years now, which is kind of like nav and XM traffic and a bunch of other stuff all wrapped up into one.

Makes our nav systems look like PDAs in comparison...but slowly that stuff is making it over here.

:cheers: