Lexus Vs Mercedes

CanadaCraig

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Mercedes better? Probably not, but Mercedes has over 100 years of pedigree on Lexus - not to mention 100 years of advertising propping up their image. I think in some peoples minds that equates to a "better" car (just like all those people that think that a Rolex is the best watch you can buy because they keep re-inforcing that image in over 1000 magazine and billboard ads each month)

Stylistically I like Mercedes cars better than Lexus, but that's not to say that I don't like the looks of the Lexus. I also like the European controls layout better than the Japanese although I can't comment on the newest control lineup from MB as I have not been inside a post 2004 MB long enough to mess w/ anything. Reliability usually wins out for me which is why I am no longer driving a Benz.

Monarch - in case you don't know - Wickipedia is written mostly by anonymous contributors so I wouldn't put much stock in anything that you read there - especially when it calls Jaguar one of the most reliable brands in the industry and then goes to confuse JD Power's reliability survey with it's customer satisfaction survey.

Audi is actually outselling MB in Europe now - mostly due to the fact that the A4 seems to be the preferred "luxury" car in that segment.

Different people buy different cars for different reasons.

The vast majority of new Mercedes and Lexus buyers are NOT like the average guy here or on the Mercedes forums that wrestle with repairs, trying to save a few bucks.

As to legacy and perception, Mercedes and BMW have an insurmountable lead. This says NOTHING about the relatively quality of the cars. And perception is what most matters most to THESE buyers.

Toyota is a fabulous company, but think, why did Toyota create the Lexus name in the first place? To divorce itself from the Toyota legacy of cheap econo boxes!

So here are the perceptions, Lexus buyers want quality and luxury but are tired of getting ripped off with repairs.

Mercedes buyers buy Mercedes for quality and luxury despite the high cost and frequency of repairs. Perception? Mercedes owners STILL win! They have coin! They have too much money! They have so much money they can afford a Mercedes!

I live in SoCal. Do hip westsiders want to drive a BMW or a model Lexus that others routinely rice out?

Glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Different people buy different cars for different reasons.

The vast majority of new Mercedes and Lexus buyers are NOT like the average guy here or on the Mercedes forums that wrestle with repairs, trying to save a few bucks.

As to legacy and perception, Mercedes and BMW have an insurmountable lead. This says NOTHING about the relatively quality of the cars. And perception is what most matters most to THESE buyers.

Toyota is a fabulous company, but think, why did Toyota create the Lexus name in the first place? To divorce itself from the Toyota legacy of cheap econo boxes!

So here are the perceptions, Lexus buyers want quality and luxury but are tired of getting ripped off with repairs.

Mercedes buyers buy Mercedes for quality and luxury despite the high cost and frequency of repairs. Perception? Mercedes owners STILL win! They have coin! They have too much money! They have so much money they can afford a Mercedes!

I live in SoCal. Do hip westsiders want to drive a BMW or a model Lexus that others routinely rice out?

Glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

I'm gonna have to agree with all of your comments, Glen! ;)

There are few things about MBs that Lexus just can't touch-their looks, comfort factor for those over 6', the bank vault like weight that you feel when you ride in them, and prestige. I'd love to have a S or CL class, but I'm afraid of the fact that I might get on first name basis with the flatbed driver! LOL

93 LS400 vs 93 Mercedes.. My LEXUS is better and I think worth more!

When you compare resale there is no comparison, Mercedes definately have better resale value than Lexus.

i agree with rx330. i think the "NAME" Mercedes with it's rich history as the top of the line brand in most countries will not fold to Lexus. maybe in the long term as the Lexus line grows and more models are added, revised and new buyers are born, then they may have a chance. The person said it best on the other post, it's all in the price. My friend just bought a new E500. $60k base. GS430 $60 at the most. so if you can afford to buy a over priced car go ahead. everyone knows you just spent toooooooooo much on something that you could've gotten for cheaper but then again why to people still shop at Red Lobster, Long John Silvers has lobster bites (in Columbus). HAHA! :cheers:

(I agree also with RX330 that the name Mercedes holds the car in it's prestigious place, but I go to Red Lobster because the food tastes better than Long John Silvers overly battered meat. If it tastes the same, I would take Red Lobster off my to do list immediately.)

"RX330Driver - The problem with mercedes is that they are over priced and they are losing the battle in quality over the past few years, but you cant beat their "reputation" and brand name. Just the name, mercedes, say it to yourself, it sounds much better than lexus. And no matter what lexus can do to separate themselves with toyota, its still a toyota."

Id like to think this sums up what most people think out there

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------_________________________________________________________________________

(If Lexus cannot separate themselves from Toyota no mater what they do, then with all of the downward reliability with Mercedes, can we safely say that Mercedes cannot seperate themselves from Chrysler at this point? Just a thought.)

When I see a loaded flatbed vehicle carrier on the road, what's the most common car I see on it? A Mercedes Benz. Like many others have mentioned, they're trading substance for volume production. My ex's mother bought a late model Mercedes and it felt cheaper than my own mother's '94 Galant! In fact my mom's Galant is faster, better handling, and gets better gas mileage. Go figure. But in defense of Mercedes they are improving, but not by much IMO. Overall I think Lexus is doing a much better job in all the market segments they sell cars in.

When I see a loaded flatbed vehicle carrier on the road, what's the most common car I see on it? A Mercedes Benz.

You must live in a very different area than I do...

Well, I don't see Mercedes cars on flatbeds very often either. But maybe there is a reason. During the 1980's when I last owned a Mercedes, I was told by a Mercedes dealer service manager that, if you called Mercedes "road-side service", participating towing companies were required to cover Mercedes cars when towing or carrying them. The reason I remember this is that a tow truck (flatbed) driver was balled out by this same service manager for not covering my Mercedes while it was being transported to the dealer.

And, I don't know of any other car company that has had a dedicated fleet of vehicles (used to be Mercedes blue and white station wagons but now they seem to be using ML's) that patroled highways in large metro areas to help stranded Mercedes owners.

I watched my last Mercedes, purchased new in 1979, deteriorate prematurely before my eyes as I struggled to make it last as long as our Honda Accord. I am now watching my best friend with his fairly low mileage (70,000 miles, purchased new and perfectly maintained) E320 Mercedes battle continual unsolvable electrical gremlins that have left him stranded a number of times and made his car unsafe to drive due to it stalling unexpectedly in traffic.

Mercedes equal to Lexus (or Toyota, Infinity, Nissan, Honda, Suburu) in quality? Not hardly. But if you really need a big and fast car and don't car about your car spending a lot of time at the dealership, then an S-class Mercedes may be the car for you.

And, I don't know of any other car company that has had a dedicated fleet of vehicles (used to be Mercedes blue and white station wagons but now they seem to be using ML's) that patroled highways in large metro areas to help stranded Mercedes owners.

They do use MLs around here too. Lexus has started staffing some dealers with Roadside Assistance RXs, my dealer has 2. All decked out with lightbars and the like. I think Cadillac does it too.

Mercedes definately was the first one though.

They do use MLs around here too. Lexus has started staffing some dealers with Roadside Assistance RXs, my dealer has 2. All decked out with lightbars and the like. I think Cadillac does it too.

Mercedes definately was the first one though.

never seen any of the kind with ether car brand...but maybe in the future :huh:

I have had both M/B and LS400.My first M/B was a 1972 with 32000 miles.The average repair bill was $1,000.00 every six months.I now have a 1985 M/B S4xx,cant remember the number but it's a big one.it's been sitting for the last 3 years because the 2000 LS 400 Platinum edition is such a superior automobile that I will absorb the depreciation and avoid the repair hassles on the M/B.However I will stay away from the Lexus dealers as thay are way to expensive.

Merc dealers are wayyy more expensive than lexus dealers, even though i beginning to see what people are saying about lexus. Before buying my first lexus, i owned a Mercedes, and i specifically remember my remark about tune up costs, and the big difference. A 6 month check up on my small C class merc was $500 on average, not including new tires or brake pads. An oil change at a lexus dealer is roughly $200 for a minor service, but i usually pay about $400. O well, just more points on my Lexus visa card, that means 10% off my next lexus :D

i have not read all the posts, there are quite a few, but i think that lexus is a car that you could have around for several years, but it will never turn heads like a benz, or saying "i drive a lexus" will never sounds as good as "i drive a benz" because its a status symbol. i do like some of their cars a lot though, especiall the cls, 469 HP (or something like that) and S is great. we looked at both before buying a 745. bimmers are very sporty and look great. they offer good performance too. i think that the only way toyota can get up to where they (BMW/Mercedes) are today, is to keep increase their price range to attract, the more demanding, who buy bimmers and benzs. how many lexus' sell for $100+, benz starts at around 30k with the clk (i think, not sure of the model) and bimmers start somewhere around there. they need to make their own performance cars too, like AMG and M. lexuses are not very fast compared to them. bottom line, if you want to have some status, get a benz or bimmer, if you want reliabitlity or are in it for the long haul, get a lexus. good luck

i agree with indiasfinest, it's all status. but i have a 90 LS and i notice a lot of people looking at my car while i drive. even at work, where i am the youngest person, when i say that i have a Lexus everyone goes "Wow, I can't afford that car!" even after i explain that it is very old they still feel the same. that's just how people are programmed. I saw a SL600 on my way to work, and i was mad i didn't have a camera. never seen anything like it and probably never will again! just checked the sticker $133K! :blink: is it over priced? ask the owner, he'd prob say no. but when i saw him in the car, first thing i thought was "WoW he paid A LOT for that car." that's just how it is, no if ands or buts He paid A LOT for that car! that's what the 3-point star gets you, exclusivity. i think that's what MB focuses on, keeping their cars "technologically advanced" (or as said here, over-engineered) in order to seperate from the market cost wise. and most people feel that the more you spend the better the quality should be. :lol:

saw the NEW GS last night... BEAUTIFUL. sleek, stylish, aggressive, and RELIABLE! but due to Gas prices i wanna wait for the Hybrid. i think that will push LEXUS into the next Level and make them a benchmark. Hybrid Luxury Cars? in my book genius. you get Luxury, Gas milage, and MORE POWER? :D sounds like a good deal to me?

LEXUS always! :cheers:

saw the NEW GS last night... BEAUTIFUL. sleek, stylish, aggressive, and RELIABLE! but due to Gas prices i wanna wait for the Hybrid. i think that will push LEXUS into the next Level and make them a benchmark. Hybrid Luxury Cars? in my book genius. you get Luxury, Gas milage, and MORE POWER? :D sounds like a good deal to me?

The GS450h doesn't get significantly better mileage than the GS300....25/28 for the hybrid compared to 22/30 for the 300, and the 300 is almost $10,000 cheaper than the 450h. You know how many years you are going to have to drive the hybrid to recoup the price premium? One has to drive their RX400h 10+ years before they start saving from the hybrid system, and by that time, I'm sure the batteries are getting tired=$$$$.

IMO, diesel power is a much better alternative to hybrids, but most Americans immediately pass diesels off as noisy, smoke blowing engines that belong more in a Freightliner than their daily driver, and it's a shame because they perform nearly the same as hybrids and are nowhere near as complex. I've driven a Beetle TDI, and you have to struggle to hear its little turbo diesel engine create its 45+ hwy mpg. Too bad we don't get the IS220d. :geek: :(

The GS450h doesn't get significantly better mileage than the GS300....25/28 for the hybrid compared to 22/30 for the 300, and the 300 is almost $10,000 cheaper than the 450h. You know how many years you are going to have to drive the hybrid to recoup the price premium? One has to drive their RX400h 10+ years before they start saving from the hybrid system, and by that time, I'm sure the batteries are getting tired=$$$$.

You get a lot more in the hyrbids than you do just gas mileage. The GS450h essentially gives you GS430 (or better) performance with the gas mileage of a GS300, you never have to have the emissions tested, you get the extremely smooth and quiet CVT drivetrain.

Buying a hybrid isn't about saving money on gas.

I disagree on that part of your statement. There is something to be said about saving gas w/ a hybrid and that is a consideration for many of the hybrids sold. It's not the only reason as something can also be said about the reduced emissions, tax credits, etc., but it would be an important consideration for me and I'm sure for others as well - probably even more so now that gas is over $3/gal.

Now with a Luxury hybrid that may not ring quite as true, but the GS450H should be compared to the GS400 and not the GS300. There is certainly money to be saved in gas if you were to choose the 450H over the 400, but it may not offset the price difference.

Hang in there RX330 Driver -

- You may actually see the new Mercedes Bluetech diesel engine in CA soon. The US is now going through a conversion phase in diesel as newer ultra low sulfur content diesel has been mandated for use by the end of the summer. That, combined with the new particulate & NOx reducing cats on the bluetec will mean a diesel that actually meets the emissions regs of all 50 states. VW is planning on releasing its new TDI in 2008 with similar technology that should also meet the regs. I would imagine that MB will allow this technology to trickle down to Chrysler/Jeep as well.

I beg to differ on that one. Saving gas and/or pollution are probably the biggest reasons for buying hybrids. Enlighten me as to the point of buying a Civic Hybrid, Insight, Camry Hybrid, Prius, etc?? There are certainly better looking, better driving, faster, etc. cars in each of their price classes. If only I had a dime for every time I read how happy a new RX hybrid owner now is after trading in their gas guzzling Expedition or Tahoe on a 400h or how much gas their co-workers suvs drink....

the GS450h essentially gives you GS430 (or better) performance with the gas mileage of a GS300
It's not about gas?
you never have to have the emissions tested
We don't do emission testing now, and in a state like LA, probably never will. LOL
you get the extremely smooth and quiet CVT drivetrain.
Maybe for some people, but I haven't walked away from driving a car with a CVT mesmorized enough to say I'm only buying a car with that kind of tranny. Just me though.
Diesel cars are banned in dealerships in California...ive never seen a new diesel car in my life.
LOL only in California. j/k Seriously though, VW makes some remarkable diesels, from a test driving stand point that is....I don't know how reliable they are in the long run. MB makes a mean new E320 CDI too...27/37 mileage in a car that weighs nearly 2 tons.

When I see a loaded flatbed vehicle carrier on the road, what's the most common car I see on it? A Mercedes Benz.

You must live in a very different area than I do...

Well, I don't see Mercedes cars on flatbeds very often either. But maybe there is a reason. During the 1980's when I last owned a Mercedes, I was told by a Mercedes dealer service manager that, if you called Mercedes "road-side service", participating towing companies were required to cover Mercedes cars when towing or carrying them.

Mercedes equal to Lexus (or Toyota, Infinity, Nissan, Honda, Suburu) in quality? Not hardly. But if you really need a big and fast car and don't car about your car spending a lot of time at the dealership, then an S-class Mercedes may be the car for you.

I think for me it's location. I live in an area between L.A. and San Fransisco, so there's a lot of people in transit between the two cities, two fairly wealthy cities at that. Nearly every week or more I see a Mercedes halfway up the freeway off-ramp with the hazard lights on, quite often with steam or smoke curling around the edges of the hood and out the grille, and usually a flatbed backing up to the abject hulk, with the owner of the car looking quite unsurprised nearby! That or I see the flatbed already loaded, hotfooting it to the nearest dealer. Around here the towing companies don't cover them up.