Grounding Problem

Hello Guys!!!

I am having some kind of electrical problem with my car. I have the SC400 and it has 102,000 Miles on it. The headlights will dim when I turn the signal lights left or right and when I apply the breaks. Also, the CD changer will shut off. This happens on and off and sometimes will only happen twice a week. Can somebody help me and let me know what seems to be the problem. Note that I have changed the battery already and still happening.

Thanks,

Linda

That still doesn't rule out a bad alternator. Have the alternator output checked (when the lights are dimming) and also make sure you don't have oil leaks that are dripping on the alternator. Also, make sure you don't have corroded battery terminals.

That still doesn't rule out a bad alternator. Have the alternator output checked (when the lights are dimming) and also make sure you don't have oil leaks that are dripping on the alternator. Also, make sure you don't have corroded battery terminals.

Thanks again for your kind reply. I will talk to my mechanic about it.

Linda

I'd check the ground side of the electrical. From the battery post to engine and body.

Thank you very much for your input. I will try this too this weekend

Well know problem, replace negative cable from battery, clean the mounting points well and you should be good to go.

Linda

I'd check the ground side of the electrical. From the battery post to engine and body.

Well know problem, replace negative cable from battery, clean the mounting points well and you should be good to go.

Linda

leaky power steering pump? thats exactly what happened to me

Linda

leaky power steering pump? thats exactly what happened to me

It was not the alternator and the battery was very good as well. The alternator is charging to its maximum.

Linda

Guys please stop quoting above posts just for the sake of it ,it becomes hard to actually follow new info and get to the point of the post.

How much do they dim?

Do they only dim when you use the turn signals ,other wise the car is fine?

Did you check for a power steering leak

who checked the alternator

what was the load and voltages read from your unit?

This is a well known problem. The issue is the connection from the negative terminal of the battery to the chassis. The connection is right behind the battery. Remove the 10mm bolt and clean the connections. I used a dremmel which worked very well and problem imediately disappeared. Make sure you clean the area on the chassis where the cable washers make contact.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there!!

What if I change the negative cable or wiring, would it fix the problem? The car has 103,000 miles on it.

BTW, it will dim almost half power when I apply the break; also, it will kinna choke sometimes when I was driving on the expressway. The radio will shut off and my clock will change time.

The Mechanic check the alternator and it was charging to beautifully at 13..

What do you think?

Regards,

Linda