Es300 Rear Accident

Well guys, had my first accident today. Some dude in his Toyota Tundra slammed into the rear of my 98 ES300. He dented the rear bumper badly and also cracked one of my taillights. Check this out though, the dude has a suspended license and desperatly begged for me not to call the police. He was sooo nervous and surprisingly offered me $4500 for the damages. I accepted the offer but wanted to check with you guys to see if this was actually worth it. How much is it going to cost to replace my entire rear bumper and 1 of my rear taillights??? If the $4500 doesnt cover the costs I will call him for additional funds. I'll try and post pics tonight. Thanks guys.

Well guys, had my first accident today. Some dude in his Toyota Tundra slammed into the rear of my 98 ES300. He dented the rear bumper badly and also cracked one of my taillights. Check this out though, the dude has a suspended license and desperatly begged for me not to call the police. He was sooo nervous and surprisingly offered me $4500 for the damages. I accepted the offer but wanted to check with you guys to see if this was actually worth it. How much is it going to cost to replace my entire rear bumper and 1 of my rear taillights??? If the $4500 doesnt cover the costs I will call him for additional funds. I'll try and post pics tonight. Thanks guys.

That sounds like more than enough. Poor sap!

What was the condition of your ES before the accident & how many miles? B)

:cheers:

My guess is if it is just the bumper and a taillight $2000.00 should fix it. But you never know the extent of the damage until you take the bumper cover off.

Were the corners pushed at all ? Or is it just the lens ?

The car was in excellent condition at 105k miles. The damage is in the far left rear corner and extends just a little to the side of the car; bumper is definitely pushed far in however, the lens seems to be only shattered rather than pushed in. I haven't had a chance to take an actual pic yet but here is another ES300, I circled the damaged area in green. $2000 is what I also expected. Do you guys recommend I get an estimate from the dealership or should I shop around at different body shops? Thanks.

post-15420-1142040099_thumb.jpg

The car was in excellent condition at 105k miles. The damage is in the far left rear corner and extends just a little to the side of the car; bumper is definitely pushed far in however, the lens seems to be only shattered rather than pushed in. I haven't had a chance to take an actual pic yet but here is another ES300, I circled the damaged area in green. $2000 is what I also expected. Do you guys recommend I get an estimate from the dealership or should I shop around at different body shops? Thanks.

Body shops, lexus will send you to a shop that they recommend/use on a regular basis.

were there any witnesses? If not, you may be screwed.

I would have called the cops and done it by the books. Tough crap for his suspended liscence. If he abided by the suspension you wouldn't be looking for a body shop. Additonally, if he didn't give you the $4500 up front, you may have a hard time collecting.

Take it to several reputable body shops and get some estimates, then you will know for sure.

What about yourself, any back or neck pain, headache, how fast was he going. What happens if you have any injury that manifests itself in the future, how are you going to be compensated or treated for that?

You don't mention any injury so I assume it was just a fender bender and not a personal body slam.

I love playing devil's advocate.

steviej

i was just gonna mention...is he giving you a check or something? cause chances are its gonna bounce. And you probably have his license plate number and stuff. be careful, i got hit and the guy said he didnt want to go through insurance. He gave me his number and stuff, its been, hmm like half a year, i never heard from him again. My insurance took care of that tho.

Good point. Initially I was going to do the ethical thing and report him but I was feeling extremely considerate yesterday. The impact wasn't huge but fortunetly I am feeling ok. I have all his info (vehicle type, license number, full name and VIN #) just in case I need to locate him again. His wife actually dropped off a cashiers check in my name. I immediately went to the bank and deposited the funds. All is done now. Just gotta search for a body shop. Posted below are the actual pics of the accident. Really appreciate all the help and advice.

post-15420-1142095445_thumb.jpg

post-15420-1142095482_thumb.jpg

post-15420-1142095514_thumb.jpg

Good point. Initially I was going to do the ethical thing and report him but I was feeling extremely considerate yesterday. The impact wasn't huge but fortunetly I am feeling ok. I have all his info (vehicle type, license number, full name and VIN #) just in case I need to locate him again. His wife actually dropped off a cashiers check in my name. I immediately went to the bank and deposited the funds. All is done now. Just gotta search for a body shop. Posted below are the actual pics of the accident. Really appreciate all the help and advice.

Just a guess, But less than $2000.00 for repair. Let us know how much $$$ the shops quote.

Get well soon ;)

4,500 is definately enough. Im pretty sure it will be close to or under 2,000 (if you wanted a new bumper). lol doesnt seem all that bad actually. Someone can change the tail lights and buff that corner right out. maybe a little paint.

Hmm, so I wouldn't even have to replace the entire bumper??? Can the body shop just pop the dent out and repaint the surface??? I am also thinking about replacing the taillight on my own. What do you guys think??

Hmm, so I wouldn't even have to replace the entire bumper??? Can the body shop just pop the dent out and repaint the surface??? I am also thinking about replacing the taillight on my own. What do you guys think??

buy u some 01 tails and the bumper looks fixable, but who knows u may of made 2500$

You won't know if the bumper needs replacing until the cover is taken off. You need a new cover, That's for sure. The lens assembly is an easy job. Just have the shop do the entire job and have it done right. ;)

Don't get greedy with the extra cash, Things have a way of coming back to bite you. :pirate:

That bumper could be refinished and painted, but it might look crappy cuz no body shop will bondo that flexable material. You could probably get that same bumper if you call Tap Recycling and maybe lights as well well under a grand. Then take your lady out and laugh all the way to the bank! :cheers:

That bumper could be refinished and painted, but it might look crappy cuz no body shop will bondo that flexable material. You could probably get that same bumper if you call Tap Recycling and maybe lights as well well under a grand. Then take your lady out and laugh all the way to the bank! :cheers:

Hey guys, The bumper is under the cover. The cover is shot and you won't see the bumper until you take the cover off. Probably no damage to the bumper at all.

you should use part of the $4500 to pay for your rental while your car is in the shop.

The big question is when all is done and paid for........if there is any money left are you going to return it to him?

hmmmmm? scratches head.

steviej

you should use part of the $4500 to pay for your rental while your car is in the shop.

The big question is when all is done and paid for........if there is any money left are you going to return it to him?

hmmmmm? scratches head.

steviej

Ahaha....NO! Consider the extra cash dividends for those whose rates are jacked up because of "no-insurance-carrying" drivers like him. Its severance pay! :chairshot:

LoL, very interesting opinions. Well, I am going to use the $$$ to first have a professional fix and restore the vehicle. If theres more than $1500 left, I might consider returning a few hundred and keeping the rest for: tuition, 00-01 tail lights, rims, vacation... I felt bad enough that he handed over $4500 with no negotiation, however, the guy has broken the law by driving without a license & insurance and was more than willing to pay me extra to keep me from dialing 911. I hope he has learned his lesson. Whats distrubing is the thought of how many people are in fact driving with suspended licenses these days; not right at all...

More later.

:D

So the $4,500 he gave you cleared withour incident? :blink:

I agree to put on the 00-01 tails, some tint & take someone special out for a nice dinner. B)

I've been trying to locate the 00-01 tail light assembly set but am having trouble finding the entire set for sale. I've looked on ebay and other auto sites. Most people are just selling the far end left/right parts. Haven't called the dealer yet but are there any other spots I can look at?? Thanks again.