Elusive electrical problem

gsackett

I purchased my "used" 93 LS300 9 months ago and I have been delighted . . . but I have developed an intermittent problem that is most annoying. Every so often (several times a week) the car will loose electical power when I step on the brake or turn on the turn signal. The car stays running and the electrical power comes back after a second or so, even if my foot stays on the brake, but during the electrical power loss the radio goes silent, the lights dim, and the clock resets to 1:00, etc.

Of course the dealer says that they cannot do anything unless they can duplicate the problem and that has proven very difficult but I was hoping that someone else may have experienced this problem.

I appreciate any help that someone can provide . . . .

• 2 weeks later...

gsackett,

Your having the EXACT same issues I'm having!!! I've been trying to track the problem down but have had no such luck. As a matter of fact my battery literally exploded last week, so I replaced it, cleaned the terminals completely, and installed the new battery. The car was fine for a few days, and just when I thought the problem was gone, it came back today. I'm about to go crazy with this thing.

My clock gets reset, when I depress the brakes and the brake lights go on the radio cuts out and the dash lights dim for a second, same with the turn signal.

If you hear anything on this please email me at

chris.threadgill@businessobjects.com

also post this over at www.clublexus.com if you haven't already.

Let me know

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I think thier cars are experiencing something different. It sounds like there is some new power source causing this problem. I'm experiencing what you're talkiing about on my LS. My problem is the left side(drivers) tail cluster has one light that doesn't want to activate when the brakes are online, but when the parking lights are active, it comes on. One of the technicians at Lexus here was saying, I have to replace the bulb, but I don't exactly believe his diagnosis, since the light actually works. I feel it's some connection from brake electric to the light cluster that's not connected or seated correctly causing the problem. Do you believe a different bulb will do the trick? If so, I might try it out. Let me know if it will actually work. thanks

To Quickturbo & Gsackett, wondering if you've had an opportunity to check out the fuse box. I've heard if a car has a new power source like a battery or even another component like a new aftermarket stereo, this might cause the ECU to send the wrong signals. Of course, this was on a Nissan. Toyota might have payed some attention to this problem. Let me know if you've tried out that scenerio.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same problem with a "used" 95 SC400. Worse in the cold weather, and if other accessories were on (rear defroster, wipers). Two dealers took a total of two weeks to find the problem. The second one left the car run for the better part of a day, intermittently driving it around. They were unable to recreate the problem, but noticed that the + wiring harness from the battery was too hot to touch. That (and the battery) were replaced and the problem went away.

Good luck.

David

• 4 months later...

First post here, so hello to you guys: AJ pointed me here and I say hello to my old buddies from clublex. I was 933005pd there.

Anyway, this was tossed around a bit over there about a year and a half ago. Look for a thread called 'ghosts in the electric' or something like that.

But yes, it turned out to be a battery/ground strap problem. It was usually fixed by new battery, connectors and strap.

I'm looking for my third coupe now, so let me know whats out there. I'm tracking ebay daily.

Peter

It is grounding - or bad grounding, corroded connections most likely. I had a bad ground on a cigarette lighter that caused problems in the last SC. Fixed it and no more - it had some aftermarket electronics though. Right - Microbyte ;) .

Good to see you made it. You have a PM.

It used to be in LS400 category. I remember replying to it once long ago.

AWJ:

I don't think there's a LS300. It sounds like something Hyndai may come up with.

Matt:

On another note. I wanted to start a license plate design for the LexusOwnersClub.com. Do you or any of the Admins have a design for the logo in mind? Chances are a colour logo will need to be faxed or emailed to Maryland Authorities so that they can put it on the plate. PM me with what can be done to make this possible.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
I purchased my "used" 93 LS300 9 months ago and I have been delighted . . . but I have developed an intermittent problem that is most annoying. Every so often (several times a week) the car will loose electical power when I step on the brake or turn on the turn signal. The car stays running and the electrical power comes back after a second or so, even if my foot stays on the brake, but during the electrical power loss the radio goes silent, the lights dim, and the clock resets to 1:00, etc.

Of course the dealer says that they cannot do anything unless they can duplicate the problem and that has proven very difficult but I was hoping that someone else may have experienced this problem.

Having same problem, '92 SC 300. Mine has gone so far that on freeway, overdrive cut off and windows wouldn't go up. Have a new battery. Independant mechanic says not alternator or battery cables. Not using lighter at time of loss of power. Bought car new. Had had major oil leak problem when I brought car here to Texas found Dealership to be pretty clueless and expensive. Friend of mine who had worked on car figured out problem before they did, so let's hope someone can help threw posting.

There has been a lot of info. about a loose/broken wire in the trunk on the driver side trunk lid hinge. Causing wired elect. probs. It is under the rear deck undercover. Worth a look.