Fuel Additives

Diana

Hi,

We went to Pepboys the other day and I noticed all these "cleaners" you put in with the gas, like fuel injection cleaner and gas treatment, and additives to put in with your oil, like a transmission "cleaner".

Do any of these really do what they claim to do?

If we use the gas additive, does it really help keep carbon deposits away?

It would be nice if they did work, but I am very skeptical before putting them into our LS400.

So I just thought I would see what you all think.

Thanks,

Diana

Please do not touch what was perfectly designed. Fill up your premium and put synthetic oil. Don't even go to places like Pepboys :angry: . I can't even get good wiper blades at those places. Use something like NewLexusParts.com.

Good luck.

the only additive that can really noticably increase your power seems to be NOs racing formula. be careful if your engine has aluminum parts exposed to the nos/fuel mix though..its corrosive and will erode the parts. have` had excellent results with a semi synthetic oil named Royal Purple.

Please do not touch what was perfectly designed. Fill up your premium and put synthetic oil. Don't even go to places like Pepboys :angry: . I can't even get good wiper blades at those places. Use something like NewLexusParts.com.

Good luck.

Pepboys sells Bosch Micro Edge Excel wiper blades which are excellent ;)

Nothing wrong with places like Pepboys, they sell oil, cleaning products etc, light bulbs, washer fluid. Just don't get carried away with what ya buy ;)

New to the group!!! I certainly recommend 'BG 44K' for a system cleaner. Have used it for years. It does make a BIG difference. DO NOT use this product more than every 10,000 miles. Just type the name into Google to find out what people say about it. Curious if anyone in this forum uses it.

Richard

'93 LS400

tansupplyman:

Welcome to the club. I know I haven't, since I'm not sure what you mean by systems cleaner. By the way, what is BG44K?

kisik:

Most of us buy products from Pep Boys, NAPA and so on. There's really nothing wrong with them. I won't buy brakes from them, but other stuff I would and most of us would agree with me.

Diana:

The fuel injection cleaners work, and so do most of the others listed above. they have to do something or else they wouldn't be sold, and NTSB and other federal agencies would have stopped them from being sold.

not surebout those fuel additives. never saw any changes in my car and they look and smell and burn like regular fuel. if ths stuff is not harmful(i mean like cause cancer ) federal agencies dont care. you donty have to do any special tests for them.

When I got a new car and wasn't driving my Firebird much, I decided to put some "fuel stabilizer" in the tank. A couple weeks later I took it out for a drive. After driving about 40 miles, I went down to a road we used to use for accelration tests. The best time I ever had turned there was 92 MPH. That day I easily turned two runs of 95 MPH. (it's rougly a 1/4 mile.

I figure the performance had dropped gradually over the 90.000 miles I had driven the car and I hadn't noticed it. The fuel stabilizer had similar ingredients as injector cleaner. I'm now convinced that it made the difference, even after using mostly "techron" gas for most of the 8 years I had the car.

Note that BG 44K cannot be bought at AutoZone,Advanced, or Pep Boys or any place like that--it is not a cheap product.

AGAIN--just type it in Google and see what people say about it--I have used it for years--had a 635CSI that set for several months and wouldn't hardly run--only with that product was I able to sell it!!

It is running around $20 at most places which are: high performance BMW,Porsche, etc shops--would use telephone to locate or buy on-line. When you sense the engine running 'rough' or seemingly detect a skip or hestation on acceleration--other words, things are just not right, then put it in the gas tank. It is 'strong' so don't overuse it.

Surely someone out there has used this before--if you have been 'into' high performance cars !!!!!

Also: I bought a 2 vol shop manual for my 93 LS400 at the dealer for $110 in 1999---this was a DEAL; I recommend to the mech. inclined [you won't even be able to replace the radio antenna without knowing what 2 buttons to push !!!!]--I have had shop manuals on almost everything[from 1934 on up] and they are the Lexus are the best I have seen--but the car is complicated !!!!! Ford wanted $600 for a set on the 97 F150--finally Haynes came out with one!!

Richard

Here's a place on the net where you can buy BG44K for $19.95> http://www.ec-securehost.com/RynoPerforman...d_Products.html

208.jpg

I don't know. It seems to be a similar product like Zmax or dynomax or something.

I added the octane booster to my G20 a few years ago, on Citgo 87, and Dyno'd it. It improved horsepower by 5bhp and a two mile improvement with gas mileage. Then i used premium Hess and Shell fuel, and wow, higher numbers that that. I believe it makes a difference too.

Actually, the Feds do watch these additive companies. One of the agencies i work with has a lab in College Park, MD, and they were testing STP Super Octane boost.

I've read enough on this stuff latley. BG44K is like no other product regardless of their claims. 10K intervals between uses? That is STRONG medicine for your car. Those other ones want you to use them with every tank so they can make your bank account go empty.Most of the stuff you read on the container is BS. Like that NOs octane booster junk and all of the others you get at Schucks, Kragen, NAPA, etc. I buy C5 octane booster from my local perforance shop as it is the only booster that actually works.