Lexus Big Brother

flwood140

I am wondering the general opinion of LS owners about how Lexus locks us out of using phone/navigation/radio messages while driving. It irritates the hell out of me that Lexus thinks it can fool us into thinking it is doing this for our "safety". Seems to me they are scared of being sued by some goof who uses the phone in the car, wrecks due to their distraction, then blames the car company for their OWN actions. I guess BMW, Audi, Mercedes et al figure they are abuilding for people to use for driving not just sitting in. What's your opinion?

Seems to me they are scared of being sued by some goof who uses the phone in the car, wrecks due to their distraction, then blames the car company for their OWN actions.

That's exactly what Lexus is afraid of, and since we live in a sue happy society, it is a legitimate fear. It would drive me crazy if I owned a car that did that, but I can understand that Lexus is only trying to protect themselves from some freeloader trying to win the next Darwin or Stella Award.

If they had a rear seat controller for the nav then maybe it would be ok since most people driving would crash if they tried to arch into the back seat to adjust it. But allowing the driver to operate it would just be a disaster waiting to happen.

Even if they made the front seat sensor activate the controls to allow changes people would find a way around it by adding books on the seat to activate the airbag and screen.

It is a shame that we have to go through this, maybe we should all be licensed pilots :geek: before we "Take Off'. Such a litigigious society ( is that a word?) has created this and 50% are aware drivers and 50% are deadheads. What's the answer? Who knows..............? If there is a minute chance of saving a life and I believe there is.. then I am for it. And yes Bartkat ..."Boycott Aruba"