Welcome Mom!

ArmyofOne

After the 4th transmission replacement (now needing a 5th) in 70,000 miles, my mother had enough of her 2002 Chrysler Concorde Limited. Wednesday night she picked up a 2005 Toyota Camry XLE. it has the 4 cylinder, but its decently peppy. Im just happy she now has a dependable car that wont break down every 2-3 months with a major hassle. I'll have pix up ASAP as i am home on leave for 6 days. heres the options though:

Silver metallic

Cloth interior (leather int he texas heat burns her skin she didnt want it)

Real Wood Trim.

6 disc In dash changer with JBL audio premuim sound system.

Dual Zone climate control (pretty sure thats standard now)

Dual power seats

Sunroof (wil be dealer installed on the 3rd of january, currently doesnt have one)

Sunshade in rear window (not sure if its power or not, havent looked)

Foglights

VVT-i (again, standard i think)

ABS (stadard again LOL)

its nicely equipped, but not loaded. the only reason she didnt get the leather is because of her location. I'll get pix up as soon as i can. its a used car with 18,001 miles on it on delivery. finall something she can own thats hassle free.

After the 4th transmission replacement (now needing a 5th) in 70,000 miles, my mother had enough of her 2002 Chrysler Concorde Limited. Wednesday night she picked up a 2005 Toyota Camry XLE. it has the 4 cylinder, but its decently peppy.

I hope lenore and RX in NC read your post about the Chrysler transmission. The difference between a Chrysler automatic and an RX300 AWD automatic is that the RX trans just has a fluid overheating problem in certain driving situations that can be mitigated with frequent fluid changes whereas the Chrysler automatic has more fundanmental engineering weaknesses that lead to failure no matter how fresh the fluid is kept.

Congrats on the 4 cylinder Camry. The Camry 4 cyl is a refined and powerful 4 cylinder motor that delivers exceptional gas mileage (around 32 MPG at 70 MPH with the 4-speed automatic and probably 33-34 MPG with the 5-speed automatic.). I've rented both the Camry 4 and V6 and prefer the 4 because it's nearly as smooth and powerful as the V6 and much easier to work on.

;)

2AZ-FE is nice.

It's missing horsepower & rpm, but the torque is at v6 levels. 150lb-ft from 2500rpm+.

Much easier to drive an i4 camry around than the competition. (Minus an i4 Altima/Maxima - but they don't compair).

Edited by Toysrme

;)

2AZ-FE is nice.

It's missing horsepower & rpm, but the torque is at v6 levels. 150lb-ft from 2500rpm+.

Much easier to drive an i4 camry around than the competition. (Minus an i4 Altima/Maxima - but they don't compair).

Its peppy, it surprised me.

;) 2AZ-FE is nice. It's missing horsepower & rpm, but the torque is at v6 levels. 150lb-ft from 2500rpm+.

That's on paper. In real world driving the the 2AZ-FE feels comfortable at high rpm, probably because it has a balance shaft to enhance smoothness. Also, in the real world, when driving a 2AZ-FE Camry you find your speed creeping up to 75-80 MPH even when you didn't intend to drive that fast. The Altima 2.5 4 cyl, doesn't have a personality like that. Instead, you have to consciously press the accelerator further to get the car to go that fast.

Some Nissan engines are really responsive however. Like the mighty Titan / Armada V8 which is a thrill to drive.

;) 2AZ-FE is nice. It's missing horsepower & rpm, but the torque is at v6 levels. 150lb-ft from 2500rpm+.

That's on paper. In real world driving the the 2AZ-FE feels comfortable at high rpm, probably because it has a balance shaft to enhance smoothness. Also, in the real world, when driving a 2AZ-FE Camry you find your speed creeping up to 75-80 MPH even when you didn't intend to drive that fast. The Altima 2.5 4 cyl, doesn't have a personality like that. Instead, you have to consciously press the accelerator further to get the car to go that fast.

Some Nissan engines are really responsive however. Like the mighty Titan / Armada V8 which is a thrill to drive.

Hey army, Congrats on your mom's new Toy. I had a 94 4cyl Camry, Beautiful car [ wish I still had her ] Your mom should be real happy with her choice.

Good for your Mom Army! B) I think that was a very smart move......she will be very happy with her purchase I'm sure. B)

:cheers:

PIX!

DCFN0008.JPG

DCFN0007.JPG

DCFN0006.JPG

DCFN0005.JPG

DCFN0004.JPG

DCFN0009.JPG

Gauges off:

DCFN0010.JPG

Gauges on:

DCFN0011.JPG

I love the way the gauges fade on when you start the car.

DCFN0012.JPG

DCFN0013.JPG

DCFN0014.JPG

and now, the money shots!

DCFN0015.JPG

DCFN0016.JPG

DCFN0017.JPG

I like it, but the hubcaps (snap on wheel covers) HAVE to go!

Edited by ArmyofOne

I'm not in to the hubcaps either, but she's still a great looking car. I think your mom is going to love it! B)

:cheers:

i'm sure she will, the idea of not putting a trans in ever 15-20K is appealing to her too. :chairshot: :)

Very nice! Lots of good upgrades to that generation Camry, I'm sure she'll be really happy with it.

I do admit though, it is kind of sad to see the electroluminescent gauges on EVERYTHING nowadays, when they were a Lexus innovention.

Only thing though, the Camry doesn't have real wood trim. Its a pretty good approximation, but it is synthetic ;)

That's on paper. In real world driving the the 2AZ-FE feels comfortable at high rpm, probably because it has a balance shaft to enhance smoothness.

:blink:

WTF Dude are you always joking or something? <_<

Regardless balance shaft<s>, an i4 is a very unbalanced engine by design. Big deal that Toyota has used balance shafts in their i4's since sometime early in the S blocks. (Some A's had none).

Do remember that the VZ family engines were smoothe because Toyota was able to incorperate five to NINE counterweights to perfectly balance the engine on the crankshafts.

The same goes for v6's after them.

They have no balance shafts because they don't NEED them. Same for about every other v6, or v8. :chairshot:

Army's mom is pimping!

WTF Dude are you always joking or something? <_<

Regardless balance shaft<s>, an i4 is a very unbalanced engine by design.

My point is Toyota knows how to make I4's smooth enough to be appropriate for luxury cars like the Camry XLE . In a 1980 issue of Consumer Reports the magazine's testers said the 4 cylinder 20R engine / A40 automatic transmission combination in a Luxury Edition Toyota Corona they tested delivered a smooth, quiet driving experience comparable to an American V8.

Likewise the late model Camry / Scion 2AZ-FE 4 cylinder has near V6 levels of noise, vibration and harshness because it has dual balance shafts:

http://www.clubsciontc.com/modules.php?nam...le=print&sid=23

Very nice! Lots of good upgrades to that generation Camry, I'm sure she'll be really happy with it.

I do admit though, it is kind of sad to see the electroluminescent gauges on EVERYTHING nowadays, when they were a Lexus innovention.

Only thing though, the Camry doesn't have real wood trim. Its a pretty good approximation, but it is synthetic ;)

Are you serious? its not real? you could have (and did) fool me. :wacko: I think it looks more real than the wood in my ES250 (which was real).

I love the gauges.

and this camry may be pimpin some RX330 AWD 18" 5 spoke wheels in the next few months.

Nice ride... Last week I noticed an XLE with hubcaps and was very surprised; I didn't know that the alloys weren't standard on the top of the line camry... kinda weird. Hope your Mom enjoy's her new ride :)

I too am VERY upset at how many cars have the optitron gauges most Lexus' have. And i don't like the gauges on the new camry's too much. I don't care for the red needles. I like the RX, new IS and 04+ LS needles the best. I like the Lexus needles with the frame around the strip...looks so cool when it goes over a number.

And the wood on the camry's are fake. You can tell because it doesn't look like there's a clearcoat (as much in depth) over the wood. It's like a computer made it and molded it out of plastic.

But i have to say the Camry's are WONDERFUL cars even though (lets be honest) they can't compare to the ES. I had a Camry as a loaner once and it didn't please me.

My brother has a 2001 Camry XLE and it's great!

Are you serious? its not real? you could have (and did) fool me.:wacko: I think it looks more real than the wood in my ES250 (which was real).

Nope its fake, they've made big advances in making it look real haven't they?

As for the gauges, I like them too, its just a shame every car built has them now in one form or another. It was cool when they were a Lexus trademark.

LexKid- I like the white needles too. You do get used to the red though.

Are you serious? its not real? you could have (and did) fool me.:wacko: I think it looks more real than the wood in my ES250 (which was real).

Nope its fake, they've made big advances in making it look real haven't they?

As for the gauges, I like them too, its just a shame every car built has them now in one form or another. It was cool when they were a Lexus trademark.

LexKid- I like the white needles too. You do get used to the red though.

Every Lexus i have owned (well driven daily) had the white needles. When i got into my wife's Es330 or GS430 the red needles were a bit distracting to me... Not MUCH of a big deal, just a preference.

On the other hand my wife has the LS430 now and she finds the WHITE needles distracting! LOL

I guess it's all what you get used to.

Also, i REALLY feel bad for honda accord drivers...Ever see the gauges at night? Drive next to one at a red light and look inside! They're SO bright i don't know how they can see! They have the optitron gauges too...the bright white light with the red needles...Although the 06+ accord needles are now white...

They all copy Lexus!

The gauges on the 01-05 (like my wife's) GS430 are back-lit with black numbers etc. The background at night appears to be white, but during the day they appear more green.

In that picture the needles appear to be orange but i remember them being more red?

Oh well they're not white! :unsure: