Why The Huge Filter Debate?

ZINFANDEL22

I have added questions to other posts but I am not getting any answers so please explain to me what air filter should I run in my 96 es 300 with 90,000 miles that I just purchased a few months ago? What I dont understand is the k&n filter is $45.00 and up and the oem denso or toyota filter is like $17.00 and up depending on where you buy. So what are the differences and how often do I need to change it?I know nothing about the quality or benefits of any air ac trany ,any filter over the other so please help me to run my car the best way i can. thanks :cheers:

I have added questions to other posts but I am not getting any answers so please explain to me what air filter should I run in my 96 es 300 with 90,000 miles that I just purchased a few months ago? What I dont understand is the k&n filter is $45.00 and up and the oem denso or toyota filter is like $17.00 and up depending on where you buy. So what are the differences and how often do I need to change it?I know nothing about the quality or benefits of any air ac trany ,any filter over the other so please help me to run my car the best way i can. thanks  :cheers:

Stick with the OEM filters. This has been discussed repeatedly here, so you can search for the details, but the K&N filters are no good. To summarize

First, they are not very efficient filters for the very fine particles which you need to worry about (they filter large particles well and that's why they claim high dirt holding capacity which is a worthless measurement in this regard). At least one person provided oil test numbers which showed that the K&N filter was dumping far too much material into the engine.

Second, you need to oil them very carefully. Too much oil and you can damage the O2 sensors. Not enough oil and the filtration gets even worse.

Third, air flow measurements were reported here and the K&N didn't even offer the air flow advantages they claimed.

Do yourself a favor and stick with the stuff that Toyota designed for the car. They spent billions of dollars in R&D to make sure that their cars work as planned. It's not worth messing around in the hopes of gaining a HP or two that you won't even feel, anyway.

I have added questions to other posts but I am not getting any answers so please explain to me what air filter should I run in my 96 es 300 with 90,000 miles that I just purchased a few months ago? What I dont understand is the k&n filter is $45.00 and up and the oem denso or toyota filter is like $17.00 and up depending on where you buy. So what are the differences and how often do I need to change it?I know nothing about the quality or benefits of any air ac trany ,any filter over the other so please help me to run my car the best way i can. thanks  :cheers:

Do yourself a favor and buy a OEM original toyota filter and call it a day. I have a K&N in my GS and factory toyota in my ES and am happy with both. The differences and gains have been discussed to no end , So it is to each his/her own choice. ;)

I have added questions to other posts but I am not getting any answers so please explain to me what air filter should I run in my 96 es 300 with 90,000 miles that I just purchased a few months ago? What I dont understand is the k&n filter is $45.00 and up and the oem denso or toyota filter is like $17.00 and up depending on where you buy. So what are the differences and how often do I need to change it?I know nothing about the quality or benefits of any air ac trany ,any filter over the other so please help me to run my car the best way i can. thanks :cheers:

Do yourself a favor and buy a OEM original toyota filter and call it a day. I have a K&N in my GS and factory toyota in my ES and am happy with both. The differences and gains have been discussed to no end , So it is to each his/her own choice. ;)

See guys now thats the info I needed to hear simple as that ....THANKYOU !!!

I have added questions to other posts but I am not getting any answers so please explain to me what air filter should I run in my 96 es 300 with 90,000 miles that I just purchased a few months ago? What I dont understand is the k&n filter is $45.00 and up and the oem denso or toyota filter is like $17.00 and up depending on where you buy. So what are the differences and how often do I need to change it?I know nothing about the quality or benefits of any air ac trany ,any filter over the other so please help me to run my car the best way i can. thanks :cheers:

One more thing I am running mobil 1 and plan to change it every 5-6 months should I change air filter to?

The only real advantage of buying a K & N is that you do not have to buy another, and if you follow the cleaning guidelines to the letter you should have no problems with it, if less inclined to take the gamble, OEM is the best next I would recommend Fram or Purulator, which make great filters as well. I have used 3 K & N filters with no problems, the thing is to follow the cleaning instructions and not over oil them, and never throw away your OEM in case you need the car before the filter dries. The cleaning needs to be done at 50,000 and the filter comes ready to use, and does not drip oil from the factory, so there lies the key, if it did not drip oil from the factory, neither should drip anything when you finish cleaning and drying it up. These are just guidelines, the OEM is a great filter also, well made and well intentioned for the cars.

C. PR

C. PR

One more thing I am running mobil 1 and plan to change it every 5-6 months should I change air filter to?

Change the air filter when you can't see light through it. Change the oil in recomended mile intervals with a new oil filter everytime.

Change the air filter when you can't see light through it. Change the oil in recomended mile intervals with a new oil filter everytime.

How bout oil filters?? stick with toyota or go to k&n or another?

Toyota oil filters.:cheers:

Toyota oil filters :cheers:

There is no debate.

No descently sized air filter is going to do anything for any engine performance wise.

Nor will "small particles" hurt the engine in any way. (Gravel? Yes. Driving down a dirt road? Not good. Anything else? Doesn't really matter)

It's simply what you want to pay for one. $50 for a K&N filter you have to re-oil at least once a year (Mine went bone dry in less than a year :rolleyes: ). Or $5-15 for a normal air filter.

I will say I'll never own, nor support anything K&N makes. They prey on the people that simply don't know any better & are highly overrated.

Denso oil filters are great. High filtration rate.

bobistheoilguy.com

Would be better equipped to tell you about oil filters.

There is no debate.

No descently sized air filter is going to do anything for any engine performance wise.

Nor will "small particles" hurt the engine in any way. (Gravel? Yes. Driving down a dirt road? Not good. Anything else? Doesn't really matter)

It's simply what you want to pay for one. $50 for a K&N filter you have to re-oil at least once a year (Mine went bone dry in less than a year  :rolleyes: ). Or $5-15 for a normal air filter.

I will say I'll never own, nor support anything K&N makes. They prey on the people that simply don't know any better & are highly overrated.

Denso oil filters are great. High filtration rate.

bobistheoilguy.com

Would be better equipped to tell you about oil filters.

Now tell me what you really think? lol this is what I need hard core facts not do whatever you feel is best stuff. thanks toysrme.

Air filter and oil (and filters have been discussed on this forum before). Do a search

K&N is only slighty better at high RPM's. Do you need it, no. Most over oil K&N and then mess up sensors. To me it is not worth it. I think I posted this on one of your other threads.

Oil filters depends greatly on efficiency and capacity. You can have a great efficiency but capacity is through the floor.

Mobil 1 oil can last much longer then anything in the manual. Good oil.

Air filter and oil (and filters have been discussed on this forum before). Do a search

K&N is only slighty better at high RPM's. Do you need it, no. Most over oil K&N and then mess up sensors. To me it is not worth it. I think I posted this on one of your other threads.

Oil filters depends greatly on efficiency and capacity. You can have a great efficiency but capacity is through the floor.

Research all you want and then tell us about your opinions of the products that you decided on instead of asking for opinions, Maybe that would be a better aproach with your inability to make a decision on your own. You ask+we tell=you decide then tell us your opinion. I'm done with this. :blink:

Research all you want and then tell us about your opinions of the products that you decided on instead of asking for opinions, Maybe that would be a better aproach with your inability to make a decision on your own. You ask+we tell=you decide then tell us your opinion. I'm done with this. :blink:

I dont understand what you are saying dc but I got the info I was looking for. I am very happy for all the help maybe you miss understood something I said but I thank all who have helped me. As I said I dont know much about the better products to use on my car so its great to get the help .

zin,

Debates on air, oil & oil filters are never ending on this site lol :lol: Like I am talking huge threads! :blink:

It just comes down to what you like using personally & what your comfortable with. There really is no wrong answer per se........all the products are of very good quality & 'brand name'. Me, if you did a search, you will notice that I use to use Mobil 1 with a M1 filter.......I have since switched to Amsoil ASL 5W 30, along with the Amsoil filter (longer drain intervals for both over M1 & have done the same in my wife's 'new' 2003 Forester). I also use a K & N air filter.......this is my 3rd in as many cars & I have never experenced any problems with it......like someone mentioned, the good thing about K & N is it should be your last filter you buy.......just follow the instruction to the letter when it comes to cleaning & re-oiling.....don't saturate the thing with oil or chances are you will have problems. ;) I have either made your decision more complicated or more simple......I hope it was the ladder. Good luck with your choices! B)

Now I am going to throw you a 'curve' :ph34r:

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/Amsoilvs.Mobil1.htm

:cheers:

zin,

Debates on air, oil & oil filters are never ending on this site lol :lol: Like I am talking huge threads! :blink:

It just comes down to what you like using personally & what your comfortable with. There really is no wrong answer per se........all the products are of very good quality & 'brand name'. Me, if you did a search, you will notice that I use to use Mobil 1 with a M1 filter.......I have since switched to Amsoil ASL 5W 30, along with the Amsoil filter (longer drain intervals for both over M1 & have done the same in my wife's 'new' 2003 Forester). I also use a K & N air filter.......this is my 3rd in as many cars & I have never experenced any problems with it......like someone mentioned, the good thing about K & N is it should be your last filter you buy.......just follow the instruction to the letter when it comes to cleaning & re-oiling.....don't saturate the thing with oil or chances are you will have problems. ;) I have either made your decision more complicated or more simple......I hope it was the ladder. Good luck with your choices! B)

guys I did searches and just got too confused thats is why I asked my question the way that I did. You all helped my desicion has been made oem air and oil filter I am a happy man , thankyou!. I just said about buying my car with 90,000 miles I dont know what parts to use to replace the ones on the vehicle? I could just go with the manual but sometimes a better product is out there and I just want to hear peoples opinions thats all. I can make a desicion I just may get very thorough because I am handicap and have nothing but time. but I thankyou for all your input.

I dont understand what you are saying dc but I got the info I was looking for. I am very happy for all the help maybe you miss understood something I said but I thank all who have helped me. As I said I dont know much about the better products to use on my car so its great to get the help .

Like LEXUSFREAK said, The info on filters, oil, and the like have been beaten into the ground over and over and over and over and over and over Get the drift. No offense or anything but I think that this thread could have been avoided altogether if a search and research had been done first. So many threads are started because of lack of knowledge in how to use forums in general. Starting a thread really should be a last resort for how or why questions especially with all the information at ones disposal on the internet. So all is good. :cheers: Watch this:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting.php

I know nothing about the quality or benefits of any air ac trany ,any filter over the other so please help me to run my car the best way i can. thanks  :cheers:

Toyota has a reputation for building the most reliable and durable cars on the planet. Toyota achieves superior levels of reliability and durability by equiping the cars with superior everything - superior engines, spark plugs, filters, antifreeze, hoses, you name it. Therefore maintaining a Toyota with factory original everything such as filters in this case is your best assurance of someday becoming a member of the Toyota 400,000 or 500,000 or 600,000 mile club. Auto parts stores carry American car quality everything. Maintaining a Toyota with auto parts store products can only degrade the potential reliability and durability of a Toyota

However, Toyotas are also relatively bland and boring cars. Reliability and durability are not a priority for all owners. There is a large group of younger owners who wish to make a social statement with their bland Toyotas via customizing them with specialty wheels, tires, paint stripes and so forth. The desire to customize, tinker, modify and experiment extends to the engine and exhaust system. Thus relatively few younger owners will recommend or considering using OEM everything (plugs, filters, fluids, oxygen sensors, etc) to maintain their Toyotas.

Beside age differences, I believe there are geographic differences as well. In the conservative, nationalistic Midwest, for example, I think owners tend to be more reluctant to admit a foreign country - especially a past military adversary - builds superior cars and parts, fluids and filters to maintain them.

monarch- Are you a Customer rep for Toyota. You think Toyota is the best car in the world or something. They have problems just like any other manufacture. Do you want me to post all the TSB, recalls etc from Toyota????

But the “400,000 or 500,000 or 600,000 mile club” is getting pretty boring. What, no pictures of some dashboard with xxx miles, some forum post or some old guy standing by some truck???? There fluids (OEM) are nothing special, nor is there spark plugs etc.

However, Toyotas are also relatively bland and boring cars. Reliability and durability are not a priority for all owners. There is a large group of younger owners who wish to make a social statement with their bland Toyotas via customizing them with specialty wheels, tires, paint stripes and so forth. The desire to customize, tinker, modify and experiment extends to the engine and exhaust system. Thus relatively few younger owners will recommend or considering using OEM everything (plugs, filters, fluids, oxygen sensors, etc) to maintain their Toyotas.

Beside age differences, I believe there are geographic differences as well. In the conservative, nationalistic Midwest, for example, I think owners tend to be more reluctant to admit a foreign country - especially a past military adversary - builds superior cars and parts, fluids and filters to maintain them. Toyota achieves superior levels of reliability and durability by equiping the cars with superior everything - superior engines, spark plugs, filters, antifreeze, hoses, you name it

Really, do I need to post yet again all the common issues with your beloved Lexus/Toyota???

Here is one for ya?

http://www.bluewaternetwork.org/telltoyota/index.shtml

I will say one thing, you discriminate more then anyone I know on this forum. It was the age deal that bothers you first. Now it is where you live or region, if you (as you posted yesterday) “American mechanics and American car builders don't give a BLEEP about reliability and durability”, etc. I am waiting for you to say something on race and education next.

However, Toyotas are also relatively bland and boring cars. Reliability and durability are not a priority for all owners.  There is a large group of younger owners who wish to make a social statement with their bland Toyotas via customizing them with specialty wheels, tires, paint stripes and so forth.  The desire to customize, tinker, modify and experiment extends to the engine and exhaust system.  Thus relatively few younger owners will recommend or considering using OEM everything (plugs, filters, fluids, oxygen sensors, etc) to maintain their Toyotas.

Beside age differences, I believe there are geographic differences as well.  In the conservative, nationalistic Midwest, for example, I think owners tend to be more reluctant to admit a foreign country - especially a past military adversary - builds superior cars and parts, fluids and filters to maintain them.

Nothing wrong with trying to mod or personlaize a car a little to ones tastes. If the definition of boring is reliable and uneventful, then yes, overall Toyota products are on the boring side. I think that's a plus. However, a little customizing isn't going to make the car less reliable.

I'm an old, southern, jingoistic, nationalistic, US military veteran and I drive a Lexus IS350. I don't plan to use anything but OEM parts, filters, and stuff on this car, as it is close to perfection as it came out of the box. How you can try to bring politics into a discussion of filters, is way beyond my comprehension.

If what you said is true, then there would not be any of "those people", drving Toyota/Lexus products and posting here in the first place, so who the hell do you think you are preaching to? :(

Auto parts stores carry American car quality everything. Maintaining a Toyota with auto parts store products can only degrade the potential reliability and durability of a Toyota.

Your kidding me right monarch? :blink: That's intresting considering the fact I just picked up several tune up parts for my wife's Forester at one of those American auto part stores your talking about & appear to be knocking.......& you know what? The parts were NGK & they said 'Made in Japan'! :rolleyes: :whistles: You know why I bought them at the 'American' (or Canadian....same thing) auto parts store & not the dealer? Simple the dealership wanted about 25 - 30% more for the exact same parts. So are you saying I have risked & degrade the potential reliability & durability of the Forester because I didn't get them directly from the dealership? :blink:

Do you thinnk monarch was really talking about a spark plug Lexusfreak? Maybe more parts that have reliability issues like a ball joint or something else?

I think the question is already answered You want an aftermarket versus OEM debate . That 2 is a waste of time arguring over.

OEM is quality that the aftermarket does not bring this is a fact and we all know it. Will buying components ( not filters and plugs) be superior to OEM ,highly unlikely in any part fo the world unless the part is made to "fix" a specific OEM design flaw.

Do you thinnk monarch was really talking about a spark plug Lexusfreak? Maybe more parts that have reliability issues like a ball joint or something else?

I think the question is already answered You want an aftermarket versus OEM debate . That 2 is a waste of time arguring over.

OEM is quality that the aftermarket does not bring this is a fact and we all know it. Will buying components ( not filters and plugs) be superior to OEM ,highly unlikely in any part fo the world unless the part is made to "fix" a specific OEM design flaw.

It's really hard to tell what Monarch is talking about half the time. He's all over the map with his insults. *BLEEP* him.

I'm outa here. You may keep the balance of my gold membership fee. :angry::angry:

I agree monarch is a very hard headed member who always "thinks" he is right by repeating himself over and over and over again like we missed the first posts he made.

For once in this thread he was stating things simply , do i agree with them not really as people who mod cars are just as varied as one who do repairs. It can go either way in regards to replacement parts.

Is there something you personally have a problem with in regards to Monarch in this thread Bartkat?