Help - I Fell For The "protective" Coating Scam

So, when I bought my '00 RX300 2 years ago, I caved and let the dealer put on their "protective" coating on the paint :chairshot: . Now, in just a couple of years, my paint looks dull, with millions of tiny surface scratches and spots, etc. Even worse; I noticed yesterday that left front fender, when you look at it just right in daylight, has what appears to be brush strokes in the paint! It looks almost like little hairs under the paint. At first I thought the car had been damaged and the fender painted by some moron with a paintbrush. Later, it occured to me that perhaps it was the moron applying my protective coating with a brush. When you stand back, or look at it in the garage, the paint looks fairly normal, and blends with the rest of the car. In the light however...!

Does anyone have any idea what I am looking at? Can I simply have the car professional waxed to remove the scratches, and I can protend the "protective" coating never happened? OR, should I not wax over the rediculous film, or whatever it is? Any help is REALLY appreciated! Thanks!

I would ask a local detailer to let you know how much to make it look new again.

For about 200 it should be perfect after.

Good advice, that is what I will do. Thanks for the reply! I was a bit concerned, before, that a detailer wouldn't be able to correct the problem. Now, I feel confident. Thanks again

I would ask a local detailer to let you know how much to make it look new again.

Since I have your attention; can you, or anyone for that matter, recommend a good detailer in the Portland OR/Vanvouver WA area? It's a stretch I know, but it can't hurt to ask. Thanks again in advance for your help! ;)

Since I have your attention; can you, or anyone for that matter, recommend a good detailer in the Portland OR/Vanvouver WA area? It's a stretch I know, but it can't hurt to ask. Thanks again in advance for your help! ;)

http://autopia.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=37

Good point. I will try that route - though I have had poor responses from this dealership. I wonder if they would prep the paint properly, buffing out scratches and so on, before just spraying another coating over it. You make a good point, I will call them next. Thanks to the both of you for responding and for the tip! :cheers:

I wouldn't worry about the warranty, just cut your losses and don't buy the paint sealant next time.

The dullness in your paint has nothing to do with the sealant, neither do the brush strokes. The sealant was worn off the paint within 3 months probably. Its only a liquid polymer sealant product, you could buy and apply a better one yourself for $30. Its not a sprasy on coating, its just a wipe on/wipe off product. The dullness just comes from age, improper washing techniques, and a lack of polishing and waxing. A good detailer can compound and polish the paint, then wax or seal it and it'll look much much better. Or you can read here and learn how to do it yourself.

As for the brush strokes they're either a poor repaint, or they're just heavy swirls in the surface of the paint that can be lessened or removed.

How do you wash the car?

I wouldn't worry about the warranty, just cut your losses and don't buy the paint sealant next time.

The dullness in your paint has nothing to do with the sealant, neither do the brush strokes. The sealant was worn off the paint within 3 months probably. Its only a liquid polymer sealant product, you could buy and apply a better one yourself for $30. Its not a sprasy on coating, its just a wipe on/wipe off product. The dullness just comes from age, improper washing techniques, and a lack of polishing and waxing. A good detailer can compound and polish the paint, then wax or seal it and it'll look much much better. Or you can read here and learn how to do it yourself.

As for the brush strokes they're either a poor repaint, or they're just heavy swirls in the surface of the paint that can be lessened or removed.

How do you wash the car?

I wash the car with lanswool mit and car washing soap, towel dry. I will have it professionally waxed immediately. As for the brush strokes - Lexus may have sold me a previously damaged car. I wouldn't be a surprised. Thanks for all your feedback! I will take it to a professional and have it taken care of soon! Take it easy.

What type of towels do you use? You should read up on some of the correct washing techniques posted on here.

As for the detailer, having it waxed won't help it needs full treatment for the paint, compounding, polishing, and waxing/sealing.

I just got it back today - WOW - AMAZING!! She looks brand new. Including PDR, it was the best $300 I have spent in a long time. Anyone in Portland/Vancouver should check out Autobella on MLK Blvd. I will post some photos. Thanks again for the advice! Take it easy-

:D

Glad it was a simple fix as $300 for a car that looks new is a small price to pay.

It is going to cost me $300 just for PDR on my LS ,so consider yourself very lucky to get all that for so cheap. I also have aboiut 25-30 dings all over from 1-3 inchs in size.

Glad it was a simple fix as $300 for a car that looks new is a small price to pay.

It is going to cost me $300 just for PDR on my LS ,so consider yourself very lucky to get all that for so cheap. I also have aboiut 25-30 dings all over from 1-3 inchs in size.

SK, Are the dings from hail damage?

Nope , no hail damage just a owner who did not care where he parked and seemed to find the worse spots to park.

Luckly i got to know the pdr guy and he is throwing me a deal.

Although i did get my wifes car done years ago by someone else for $250 and it was in even worse shape for more dings, hell she backed up into a wheelbarrow handle and dinged it.

I feel pretty lucky to get the results that I did. I would imagine I will need to do this twice a year. I was quoted a flat $100-150 fee (depending on the #) for PDR. Next I want to have some leather reupholstered - a couple of spots. What a needle in a haystack to find the right place! Thanks for all the feedback - you really pointed me in the right direction. Take it easy! :cheers: