Brakes And Rotors

Gumart1

I'm going to be replacing my rear pads and rotors on my 91, and I am astounded by the number of manufacturers, materials, and styles of rotors and pads available. There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer that I can find.

For pads, OEM is about $50, not a big deal, but OEM rotors are not cheap, and some people here have had less than stellar results with them. I am not a hard driver or a heavy braker. Should I stick with OEM or go with a slotted or drilled rotor, and which one is better than the other, and which is the best match for the OEM pads.

For the pads I am more comfortable with OEM because of squeeling issues with other cars and aftermarket pads, unless someone here has consistently used a particular brand with no issues.

Gumart1, this a much debated subject and you will see that everyone has an opinion and a preference. I've been through my share of experimenting and I would say for me, nothing beats the Akebono ProACT pads and Mountain brand rotors. Akebono ProACT are ceramic pads that grab, dissipate heat and prevent rotor warppage, produce very very little dust, and last a long time. They are however costly but then you really do get what you pay for. The mountain brand rotors are also Japanese and are equal to or better then OEM, and cost much less. I really think that 90% of all drivers have no use for drilled or slotted rotors, they do look cool but unless your racing, you have no use for them.

I went with all OEM parts, on the assumption you get what you pay for. I don' know of any sites that offer an 'overview' or how to determine which aftermarket parts are 'quality', but one of the posters here (thanks!) told me of a company that sold him a rebuilt power steering pump that was going strong after two years, and this same company also sellls brake pads discs and rotors for the Lexus. See www. ariparts.com. Good luck.

I'm going to be replacing my rear pads and rotors on my 91, and I am astounded by the number of manufacturers, materials, and styles of rotors and pads available. There doesn't seem to be a definitive answer that I can find.

For pads, OEM is about $50, not a big deal, but OEM rotors are not cheap, and some people here have had less than stellar results with them. I am not a hard driver or a heavy braker. Should I stick with OEM or go with a slotted or drilled rotor, and which one is better than the other, and which is the best match for the OEM pads.

For the pads I am more comfortable with OEM because of squeeling issues with other cars and aftermarket pads, unless someone here has consistently used a particular brand with no issues.

OEM are built to last.

Very few aftermarket companies use a good grade steel and/or are nto coated to prevent rust.

Other than OEM brembo seem to come in better than OEM because of the grade of steel used.

Some other companies make rotors which are better but cost alot more than OEM.

It appears the consensus is with OEM which you can't go wrong with. Akebono is actually the OEM supplier on almost the complete Lexus line. You will notice that it's marked Akebono on the back of the OEM pads or it might just have AK for short. The other supplier that I'm aware of has been Sumitomo and the pads would have the marking SEI on the back. The only reason I go with the aftermarket Akebono is that it offers OEM braking coefficients and feel with an improved compound. There have been numerous improvements in pad material in just the past several years and these improvements would not normally be implemented into the OEM pads. The ProACT line on the other hand does have the newer ceramic formula which will outlast the OEM pads and being from the OEM supplier you should have no concerns when using them.

Second on the Akebonos. They are the best brake pads I've used and I do about

20 brake jobs a year. About $65 or so for the LS.

Bob

Please recommend the best place to order these pads.

Thanks.

Ebay rotors:

LEXUS GS300 LS400 SC300 SC400 DRILL/SLOT F&R ROTORS SET

Lexus F1 Brake Rotors!!! $144.00

91-92 Lexus LS400 Drilled Rotor Rotors Front+Rear $135.00 + $50.00

How much is the rockauto rotors?

There has been numerous posts about quality for these rotors, but just more options.

I need to paint some new nice rotors for my awesome wheels..

Alsalih - Thanks for the tip! I didn't know that Akebono was the OEM supplier for the LS. Kennyr and Ford, I understand your reasoning in using OEM pads and aftermarket rotors. The OEM rotors cost a bundle compared to aftermarket. One E-Bay seller had a pair or aftermarket rotors for the LS for only $30 shipped for the pair that did not sell! But from some research I have found it is possible that inferior materials can cause braking capability to decrease up to 20%. I don't like the idea of losing any stopping power. Also, with a questionable aftermarket rotor, couldn't it wear the OEM pads faster or more unevenly? Perhaps there is a specific brand you are using with success. Sha4000 - I have never seen OEM rotors for $50 on E-Bay, do you have a link?

I do like Rockauto for certain aftermarket parts and the prices are excellent but you have to be careful with shipping calculations on multiple items. It adds up fast. I like Drivewire for certain aftermarket parts and for OEM Newlexusparts and Irontoad are OK although I find that almost all of these online discounters are within a few pennies of each other on everything. Better than paying retail but not exactly a steal. Unfortunately Rockauto does not offer the Akebono's for the rear which is what I am replacing.

Akebono is the prime supplier however this will be changing soon as Toyota has formed a company with Aisin, Denso, and Sumitomo called Advics which will or actually has started producing the brake pads for the Toyota and Lexus vehicles! Although I'm sure they will be great pads, I doubt that they can match the performance of Akebono, we'll see. With regards to rotors, go with a brand name and no matter what you do not buy the cheap rotors whether on ebay or at any local store they are Made in China and I would not try and cut corners with something this important. Also the nice cheap cross drilled ones on ebay are usually cheap rotors that someone buys and has a local machine shop drill for them, it's not worth the risk!