? , 2018 Lexus rx  350 awd drivers side front axle. ? Is there supposed to be end play at the hub ? With wheels off the floor and supported just inboard of the ball joints I am able to move the axle left and right about 1/8 of an inch. When I drive over pot holes I hear a loud clunking sound, have checked all bushings and no issues. Thanks in advance 

The CV axle of your 2018 Lexus RX 350 AWD is designed to allow the axle to spin as the suspension travels up and down and you steer the car. One end of the axle comes out of the transmission, and the other end mounts in the wheel hub.

However, if you’re noticing an unusual amount of play (movement) at the hub, and hearing a loud clunking sound when driving over potholes, it could indicate a problem. This might be due to a worn-out CV joint or a problem with the axle itself.

If the rubber boot that covers the CV joint rips, grease can escape and dirt and water can get into the CV joint, causing it to wear out. This wear and tear can often cause a clicking noise from the front of the car while turning.

Given these symptoms, it would be advisable to have your vehicle inspected by a professional mechanic. They can check the CV axle and joints for any signs of damage or excessive wear. If necessary, they can replace the CV axle / shaft assembly1. Please note that this is just a suggestion based on the information you provided and it’s always best to consult with a professional mechanic for accurate diagnosis and repair.

Remember, safety first! It’s important to address these issues promptly to prevent further damage and ensure safe driving.