Transmission Tune Up. To Do Or Not To Do.

VMF

should i do a tune up for my stransmission or i should not? that is the big question. i dont know when and if the previuos owner ever changed the oil in transmissino. but it smells burned from there when i check the oil. i know it might die if i will change the oil now. or it will not on lexus. i have a big lack of knowledge regarding this. any help would be greatly appreciated

The idea that changing the oil may endanger the trans (or engine or whatever) is a huge myth that has been around for years. It simply isn't true. If the trans does die after changing the oil, it is because the oil was changed too late, and the trans was going to die anyways. Change it now. Lexus has a very reasonable service interval for the trans which should be followed.

change it

it is meant to be

on my es i don't have a filter in there either so it is just flush and fill since the filter is just a metal mesh rather than a media to be replaced

although a good shop should remove and clean it by lowering the pan and cleaning the magnet as well,so the gasket should replaced the cost of the filter

a normal tranny service goes for about 100

a nice system to use is the one that attaches to the tranny cooler lines

and after it has warmed up and the valve has opened it can then remove all the fluid ion the body of the trans and the torque convertor which can hold about 3 liters alone

should i do a tune up for my stransmission or i should not? that is the big question. i dont know when and if the previuos owner ever changed the oil in transmissino. but it smells burned from there when i check the oil. i know it might die if i will change the oil now. or it will not on lexus. i have a big lack of knowledge regarding this. any help would be greatly appreciated

I had the same thing with my LS400 when I bought it a few months ago. The burning smell is from too much fluid in the tranny and torque converter. The tranny fluid is burning! You need to have as much fluid drained as possible then have it refilled to the correct level. It takes 2-3 drain and refills to get all of the fluid out of the torque converter for a full flush and refill.

i dont know any local stores i would trust with my tranny, i used to have chrysler concorde and my tranny died couple of times while the tranny was on warrany, once it died rite in the store when i came to pick up the car:)

how much would dealer charge for this procedure?

not sure if the daler has the machine to do the full flush and fill

just a drain and fill

it is a very simple machine

it just uses a collector and the tranny cooler and return line

so instead of the fliud going to the cooler it goes in the machine to cuiculate until it is warm

since there is a heat activated switch for the tranny to warm up the fluid which stops the full flow inside until it reaches operating temp

once it does see the increased flow it stops the cuiculation of the old fluid and lets the tranny drain right into it

while the other line sucks up the new fluid to replace what has just left

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody have pictures on this? I really don't want to pay the lexus dealer to do it 2-3 times but I want to give my trans. a good flush myself. Pictures would be very helpful or detailed information would be also.

I am willing to give a "donation" if it is wanted to whoever can provide me with the info because I really need it.

Jasoneo5@comcast.net

Thanks so much for your time as it is always greatly appreciated! Best Regards,

-Jason Elcan

Yeah you definately want to go ahead and do it, but just make sure that you use the correct fluid, the same fluid used at the factory, the Toyota fluid.

I definately reccomend the flush, you should have the engine flushed too one of these days. Gets the old crud out of there that dirties the new fluid as soon as its changed.

Change it. Driving it the city where you shift all the time really wears out the fluid. Besides, I know you won't sleep well knowing there is old fluid in your tranny. I change the trans oil in all my cars every two years and I'll bet that guy in Utah with 555,000 miles does too. I also flush the cooling system and brake lines at the same time. I had the Lexus dealer do mine but I suspect they just did a drain and fill. You REALLY want the system SWO talked about, it's the best because your torque conerter fluid is also changed.

Finding someone to do it right is another story.... anywhere!

Hey, just flipped on the news about the blackout in NYC so I guess VMF won't be reading this right away. Hot air, warm beer, no computer. Ugh!

i was sleepin in the car for the most part of the night and went to Nj to chill over my GFs house:)

so whats the exact name of the thing for flushign the tranny?

i really need to flush the tranny and power steering coz it seems like my power steering is dying on me.