Bringing My Es300 To Toyota For A Tranny Flush

speedshift

I went to the Toyota today to find out how much they would charge to do a complete transmission flush. $90. I asked him if they do a complete flush along with a new filter and he says "No, we don't change a filter". I tell him that from what I know there is a filter of some sort behind a cover once you pull the transmission pan off. He looks at me like I'm an idiot and tells me that this isn't like an oil change and there isn't just a plug to drain the fluid... duh. But I find out that when they change the fluid they do it through the tranny lines which from what I've read is the best method of doing it. But I'm still skeptical because I thought you should change the filter as long as you're changing the fluid.

He is not ignorant toys, Toyota does not regard the mesh as a filter .

It is a screen that is a non servicable item.A filter is a consumable item which does require replacment and is no where listed in the "EPC" as one..

BTW most modern toyotas do have a drain plug on the bottom of the tranny pan including yours

The mechanic is partly right - there is no filter to replace. But there is a cleanable metal mesh filter screen that filters non-magnetic metal wear particles and clutch wear debris. However this filter rarely becomes restricted and normally doesn't need to be cleaned for at least 150,000 miles. Figure half that mileage if the car is driven in an aggressive and hurried 2 Fast 2 Furious manner as many teens and young male adults do.

Same money and same way you decribed, I did my trans. flush at Toyota for $99.

He ask for $149 if i wanted to drop pan, change filter and flush(without chemical).

With chemical price was $199.

After 10,000 I did again with pan drop and change filter. cost was $55 at my mechanic.

That's the way toyota flush Trans.

Hope that helps.

Figure half that mileage if the car is driven in an aggressive and hurried 2 Fast 2 Furious manner as many teens and young male adults do.

monarch, don't start this crap again!!! <_<

or I will have to post the story about a 56 year old man that decided to race another gentleman in his 40s. I guess it was one midlifer testing his Ligenfelter Corvette against the other distinguished gentleman's Ferrari. I sum of the tickets issued was in excess of $800.

steviej

Toyota does not regard the mesh as a filter .

It is a screen that is a non servicable item. A filter is a consumable item which does require replacment and is no where listed in the "EPC" as one..

Toyota transmission factory overhaul manuals regard the metal mesh as a "filter screen" and call the whole assembly an "oil strainer". Specifically, the factory transmission overhaul manual says this:

"Oil Strainer: Check the filter screen for clogging condition. Wash the oil strainer thoroughly, especially the filter case and the filter screen."

Depending on the transmission model, the factory manual also instructs the service tech to use one or two new oil strainer gaskets when installing the new strainer to the valve body after cleaning (although on some models no gasket is needed).

If doing a complete 100% fluid change, have the mesh screen cleaned at the same time, but no need to replace it as it's reusable. Consider as a preventitive measure replacing the tranny pan gasket too. B)

:cheers:

<- dumbass.

I would clean it.

Same thing as my oil screen, they were both ultra filled with crap.

mburnickas has a good point about replacing them.

If you don't change your ATF, or oil regularly I would change it as the fluids become very acidic. (Especially oil when coolant gets in it)

I wouldn't advise cleaning the filter/screen but you could check it for fibres that could suggest worn clutches.

The cleaning doesn't ever get it totally clean. Be sure to take sk's advise and getthe inine filter as well.

I guess it was just my experience. Because of the shape of the filter container some metal shards/fibres will remain even after the cleaning.

<- dumbass.

I would clean it.

If you don't change your ATF, or oil regularly I would change it as the fluids become very acidic. (Especially oil when coolant gets in it)

With all of your excellent tech advice it's a pity that you aren't mature enough to respect the opinions of others.

<- dumbass.

I would clean it.

With all of your excellent tech advice it's a pity that you aren't mature enough to respect the opinions of others.

yeah, xxxavier, I caught that too, but then I interpreted it as an arrow pointing to his own avatar, then I thought maybe it was an icon code that lost the right side bracket. Actually, now, I am not sure what it means.

I will give Toysrme a chance to explain the "<-dumbass" comment and fix it or I am just going to remove it. I am not sure whom it is directed at.

steviej

H

o

w

o

n

E

a

r

t

h

can

<-

not mean me...

I mean seriously... What kind of logic is happening?

There is a few hundred pixels to post, obviously <- lines up with my set LoL!

WTF at the reaction to the question that I am calling anyone else a dumbass. Seriously guys...

< left

> right

^ reflects above

^^ above 2

etc.

However if I can't call myself a dumbass, I would like the chance to reflect on my actions and edit my own post ROTF!