Gas Fill Up--nozzle Tripping!

I filled my RX400h with gas for the first time today. At the pump, the full trip lever kept tripping no matter what I tried. I backed the spout out but it kept tripping. I rotated the nozzle but it kept tripping. It must have tripped 40 or more times before I actually got the tank full. This process took a long time. I love my new car but this problem is ridiculous.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Any suggestions as to a cure?

That happened to me once too. Took about forty times to fill the gas tank. I kept looking for a hidden camera. Pretty sure something was wrong with the pump, never happened again, even at the same station.

I notice you're in Ohio. This actually happened to me... in Ohio (Columbus). Indeed, it happened the only two times I tried to get gas while in Ohio for 10 days. It was extremely frustrating!

Here's the catch... I was driving a rental. A POS Chevy Impala. I was ready to reply to this thread, thinking, "Yeah. That happened to me twice recently and it was really annoying." Then I remembered it was in Ohio in the rental car.

So, coincidence in Ohio? Who knows!

I filled my RX400h with gas for the first time today. At the pump, the full trip lever kept tripping no matter what I tried. I backed the spout out but it kept tripping. I rotated the nozzle but it kept tripping. It must have tripped 40 or more times before I actually got the tank full. This process took a long time. I love my new car but this problem is ridiculous.

I will try a different pump next fillup. Thanks.

This happened to me while the gas attendant at Costco was filling it a few weeks ago, resulting in a spill of fuel onto the ground. At that time, I had opened the fuel door with the engine running, while waiting a few minutes for the car in front to complete its fill-up. I later read the owner's manual (p. 153) and the yellow caution label on the inside of the fuel door, that completing the refueling of the vehicle within 30 minutes of opening the fuel door is necessary, otherwise an overflow of fuel will result. An internal valve closes after 30 minutes causing the fuel to backup. The manual says to replace the gas cap and close the fuel door to reset the internal valve.

I did not have the fuel door open for anywhere near 30 minutes, but the Lexus timing might have been changed to something shorter. Since that time I haven't had any refueling problems at Costco, because I do not open the fuel door until I am ready to refuel and the engine is shut off.

JUST AN ASIDE, MT DEALER INFORMED ME TO BE CAREFUL, ESPECIALLY ON WARM DAYS NOT TO OVERFILL TANK. STOP FILLING WHEN PUMP SHUTS OFF. UNLESS MY DEALER IS SEVERLY MISINFORMED, THE TANK ON THE RX400h , IS A COLLASPESABLE BLADDER, AND WHEN ALSMOST FULL CAN SQUIRT GAS BACK OUT WHEN FULL.

JUST AN ASIDE, MT DEALER INFORMED ME TO BE CAREFUL, ESPECIALLY ON WARM DAYS NOT TO OVERFILL TANK. STOP FILLING WHEN PUMP SHUTS OFF. UNLESS MY DEALER IS SEVERLY MISINFORMED, THE TANK ON THE RX400h , IS A COLLASPESABLE BLADDER, AND WHEN ALSMOST FULL CAN SQUIRT GAS BACK OUT WHEN FULL.

Your dealer is misinformed. The Toyota Prius has the collapsible bladder, which can be hard to fill completely. The RX400h has a conventional hard tank.

Today I filled my tank for the second time. This time I had no problems. It must have been the pump. :D

• 8 years later...

This happened to me once. I think it was because that time I moved the car with the gas cap open to get closer to the pump, so the vapor recovery system in the car didn't work properly, and maybe the fuel bladder was compressed to remove air.

For any of you that had this happen, did you drive the car with the gas cap not fully tightened, even for just a little bit?