Synthetic Oil For A 94 Ls400?

Kevron

I have a 94 LS400 with 93K miles, the car is running fine, I asked my local dealership mechanic about putting synthetic oil in the car, he "couldn't" recommend it. He wouldn't tell me why. What are your thoughts?

Kevin

He's a mechanic, I wonder why he said "he couldn't recommend it"? What a jack-!Removed! mechanic if he doesn't have an answer for his "educated statements". His polluted mind probably wants to convey that there would be no benefit of using synthetics after 9 years of using regular oil. I've read that you suppose to run a brand new car on regular oil for the first 5,000 miles during the break in period. Then you switch to synthetic. I believe you can switch to synthetic at anytime.

95% of all mechanics should be put to sleep.

i am guessing you aprove of syn todd

lol

it is the best and works great

its flow rates alone are good enough for me to want to use them

i have them in all my cars and it keeps them, working great

i use 0w -30 winter

10 -30 in the summer when new

and after 150 km

i switch to 15w 50 summer

and 0w 50 winter

these are hard to come by rates of weight but the added benifit of them are tremendous

especially where i am in canada

we get hot summers and cold winters

and i want only the best protection

all year for the rest of my cars life

the only problem you can get using sinthetic oil on the old engine is that you can get oil leaks. thats what i heard from some car enthuiasts i hang out with from time to time. i'm on a regular oil now and i'm switching to sinthetic next week.

i have 125k on my engine and i will take my chanses:)

I'm glad you didn't generalize to all mechanics Todd.

I use the viscosity Toyota recommends, and that is 5W-30 year round, regardless of weather. The whole point of multi-grades was to eliminate seasonal oil changes for viscosity. 5W-30 works all the time.

But I use Mobil 1 5W-30 in all of my cars, and convert them to it regardless of mileage on the engine. I have used synthetic at 500 miles on several engines I have rebuilt, and I have never seen any excess oil consumption.

yah i guess there is no real need i am just over cautious

but after hear a few other same milage lexus they have alot more upper end ticking from the valve train

so i am going to support the difference on the over all wear reduction

i also got lexus to do my last oil change 2 days ago using 10w 30 synthetic

Synths are twice + the cost of regular oil. We're Lexus owners, we're use to overpaying for the upkeep... :o

I suppose you can go to Wal-Mart and have them put synth in your Lex. It would probably be about $30 there. Regular oil changes are about $16 at Wallys.

Hey Kevron, I most certainly would use synthetic oil. I have used it in all my vehicles for over ten years without any problems. I have never noticed it caused any oil leaks but I guess since the stuff is so slippery it could. For those of you in the great white north, synthetic oil is really good for very cold start ups. I use Valoline full synthetic 5W-30 year round. The stuff doesn't gum up when it's hot so you don't get much sludge build up in the engine. Luckily, the guy I bought my Lexus from used synthetic from day 1. I have also used sythetic in my brand new vehicles even during break in without any problem and I believe it's approved for break in as well. The stuff is just plain awesome. With Interstate driving you can easily go 5K miles between changes just don't use a cheap filter. I recommend a Fram Duraguard which is about ten bucks. Denny

I buy Mobile 1 at Sam's Club or Walmart and my dealer uses my oil at my regular service, saving me about half the price of dealer-furnished oil. Not much of a difference with regular oil, but about a 50% savings with Mobil 1. ;)

b.

I use Mobil 1 10-30W new "high milage formula" synt. oil for my 94' LS400 with 92k mil. on it. I change it along with OEM Nippon filter($9) every 5k. It feels good that you treat your Lex nicely.

• 3 weeks later...