Hit Island In Middle Of Street

vyhanh

Hi,

1st day after getting his license, my 17 year old son hit the island. The steering wheel is wobbly and felt loose. The driver side custom wheel is badly scratched. What should I do? I had a look under and there seems to be no visible damage.

Thanks

Vh

91 LS400

PS: My 18 year hit a speed sign on his first day when he got his license (danaged bumper and OEM wheel) !!! :chairshot:

These are tough cars. He hit that curb going quickly.

Learning ain't over when you stuff that license in your pocket. Have him buy his own beater car. Works every time - "You bend it, you fix it" is my line to my kids, and you should see the respect they have for their cars.

Well for the future... Drivers education and a training car. Something other then a LS400.

Now if the kid was going to fast that is one thing, but he was driving a car that handles like nothing else.

Good luck and good bye to another LS.

Now if the kid was going to fast that is one thing, but he was driving a car that handles like nothing else.

With all honesty the LS400 can be a daunting car for a new driver to handle, especially the older models. RWD with a good bit of power and a soft suspension that can be a little hard to handle in emergency maneuvers.

When I was a kid a friend of mine got a new BMW 3 series coupe for his 16th birthday. Certainly a more stable handler than an LS400 and he managed to flip it on straight ground. Don't ever think any car is teenager proof.

Everybody makes mistakes though, I feel for your son...

Cars can be replaced, be glad he's okay.

With all honesty the LS400 can be a daunting car for a new driver to handle, especially the older models. RWD with a good bit of power and a soft suspension that can be a little hard to handle in emergency maneuvers.

When I was a kid a friend of mine got a new BMW 3 series coupe for his 16th birthday. Certainly a more stable handler than an LS400 and he managed to flip it on straight ground. Don't ever think any car is teenager proof.

Everybody makes mistakes though, I feel for your son...

Cars can be replaced, be glad he's okay.

i second that be glad that hes ok i still underestimate the power of rwd from time to time

Thank you all for your replies.

Yes, I am glad that both my sons are ok. The car will be replaced (we will find out tomorrow when the adjuster looks at it)

My 2nd son said to me: Dad, I will pay for it with my allowances !!! :(

I told my first son that he was partly to blame because it was his car and he hit the speed sign within 3 days of getting his license so he should have known :chairshot:

I was a bit upset because I have trying to keep the car in good condition (in and out; mechanically and appearance)

VH

03 X5 4.4

99 ML320

91 LS400

92 Prelude 4WS Si

91 Galant LS

Did they take professional driving school lessons? :unsure: Although those courses are more expensive then a 'regular' driving school they are worth their weight in gold for safety & how to handle a vehicle in almost any condition. B)

:cheers:

Yes, they both were taught by myself and another friend who retired from teaching at driving school. My second son kept saying: Dad, you keep repeating... You made me more nervous.... Guess what: First time out, he wrecked the car !!!! Is there a record time of a new licensee wrecking the car ? :pirate:

There are skills, and there are attitudes. Both are gained by experience. Compared to cars thirty years ago, when I learned to drive, an LS is a sports car. Size isn't the issue. I was driving dump trucks at 17 and semi's at 20. I haven't bent a vehicle yet.

These accidents are the result of the driver alone, and not the vehicle in terms of its size or handling, or colour, or whatever. The driver is solely responsible for them.

Obviously they had enough instruction. Making it stick, and developing the attitude to be a good driver is the kids responsibility. If they buy and repair their own cars, they will develop that quicker.