Problems W/ Rx 300, Are You Kidding?

tealboy

I have a 2002 Rx300 AWD in my garage, on loan from a retail dealer trying to sell it to me. it has 26k miles. I have looked a MB, BMW and others but have finally settled on Lexus RX due to Lexus products never breaking. Consumers reports says great things about this car, but now i am reading tranny problems are virtually guaranteed. I can't believe it.

What else should i be concerned about? Have the tranny problems and others been resolved by 2002,2003?

Pls advise. I was ready to buy this truck until reading a few posts here. I am still reading but comments to my post are apprec

Some of the AWD transmissions DO have serious problems, and others don't.

Say, why do you have all wheel drive in florida anyway? Usually you see a lot of front wheel drives down there. The front wheel drive tranny's don't break as AWD's do.

Say, why do you have all wheel drive in florida anyway? Usually you see a lot of front wheel drives down there. The front wheel drive tranny's don't break as AWD's do.

hmm, that's strange. i never paid attention to the thread about tranny problems. :o . if i kept my RX, it wouldn't have it cuz it was a 2wd. :P

hmm, that's strange. i never paid attention to the thread about tranny problems. :o . if i kept my RX, it wouldn't have it cuz it was a 2wd. :P

I would have gotten the front wheel drive Rx300's but they are horrible in the snow, and don't come standard with nav, htd seats, splr etc. All of which i needed!!

Lexus really blew that one.

I take my vehicles off road and want the awd feature. I really prefer a vehicle like the rx 300 b/c it serves two purposes, but if i can't get comfortable w/ the reliablility, i am going back to the e320 MB. Not reliable, but a fantasticly fun car that looks great.

any additional comments on trouble spots for the rx 300 are appreciated. i am going to check the lexus records on this vehicle tomorrow but as a lease, i would be surprised if i find much was done. at 26k miles, the vehicle is not heavily used, but neglect could show up later.

I'd hate to bad mouth Lexus, but if you're taking your Rx300 off-road, you're gonna gave serious problems with the transmission. That's probably the WORST thing for an Rx300.

I'm not aware of any other things that commonly go wrong with the rx300. The engine sludge problem is somehwhat comon for an rx300 that hadn't had all of it's oil changes. but to be perfectly honest, your transmission will blow out well before your engine gets worked in.

I would also advise against a Mercedes. I had an 03 s600. it's nothing compared to a lexus, even if it's 5x the price.

How about an Rx330?? My 2004 Rx330 has 52,000 miles and is working PERFECTLY!!

off road not in the real rugged sense. i have a heavy duty 4x4 for that. this one is for my wife. I have a cabin in the woods but you can't get there in a car. 4x2 would work most of the time, but w/ a bit of mud and water, the awd is better.

is the tranny problem hugely common or isolated? I just went back and re-read consumer reports and they show only the very highest marks across the board, going back to 01. There is nothing that suggests this vehicle is anything less than superb. Did you have bad luck or is the tranny problem affecting 8 of 10 owners?

off road not in the real rugged sense.  i have a heavy duty 4x4 for that.  this one is for my wife.  I have a cabin in the woods but you can't get there in a car.  4x2 would work most of the time, but w/ a bit of mud and water, the awd is better.

is the tranny problem hugely common or isolated?  I just went back and re-read consumer reports and they show only the very highest marks across the board, going back to 01.  There is nothing that suggests this vehicle is anything less than superb.  Did you have bad luck or is the tranny problem affecting 8 of 10  owners?

I'm not too sure about the actuall stats, but all i kno is that i had bad luck with 2 of my 3 Rx300's.

My 1999's tranny went out in 2003 with 69,000 miles on it.

My 2003's tranny was begining to make the whining noise (beginning sign) a few weeks ago, so i traded it (65,000 miles).

Any of course my daughter wanted another rx300 so the one i have now for her has 35,000 miles on it, and thankfully no problems.

I do pretty much all highway driving (3 hours driving daily, but not everyday since i rotate my vehicles), and will admit that im a VERY aggressive driver; heavy on the gas during accleration etc. But every other car i have owned has been fine with my driving habits.

In my opinion, the Rx300 was a mistake, and would advise for you to look away if possible. Just be thankful you still have time if you find out anything else is wrong with it.

is the tranny problem hugely common or isolated? 

It's hard to say, all the people I know that have/had an RX300 none have every had a tranny problem. On message boards and forums like this you really only hear the ones with problems, trying to reach out for some help on what to do. It's not common for someone with no problems to just randomly post from time to time that it's all working right and going good.

I have a 2000 RX w/75,000 and so far (knock on wood) no tranny problems or hesitation problems like some people have reported.

Used cars are pot luck, even a perfect one w/no problems the day you get it can completely fall apart next week. I had a LeBaron GTC that was checked out by my machanic and certified warranty, 3,000 miles past it's warranty the transmission exploded on the highway and left us started on Thanksgiving Day.

problems just on awd or fwd too?  I have been reading and most comments point toward awd but i think some are fwd too.

I'm not 100% sure, but i'm pretty sure that the front wheel drive models don't have the tranny problem (or at least not the same and not as bad a problem). At least you have a better shot with a 2 wheel drive model since i know the AWD's are faulty.

The VC (viscous clutch) in the AWD tranny's heats up, and heats up the tranny fluid to a black color. Shards of metal grind together inside and make the transmission well..not work!!

The symptoms are different for all. At first, you hear a whining noise, and the tranny becomes very jolty. Then, it just goes all together. For me, i was driving about 80mph on the highway when i tried to accelerate to pass someone, and all i heard was a loud sound, but i wasn't going faster. Then i tried to slow doewn and all i heard was a grinding sound.

I have heard of the rx just "stopping" randomly at intersections, and even something simple like not being able to go into reverse. All i know is that it's horrible to have to go through these problems. And the $4400 i spent to fix it wasn't fun either.

Another thing to check on the Rx300 before buying it:

Go to a street that not many cars travel on, and that is very quiet. Park in the center, and close all the windows, and turn off the A/C and radio etc, so it's as quiet as you can get it.

Put it in drive and VERY slowly, begin to accelerate. If you hear ANY, and i mean ANY, even the "slightest" whine noise, you're tranny is beginning to break. If there is even the slightest JOLT, then there is something wrong as well. A prefect tranny on the AWD RX300 shouldn't make ANY noisem or jolt at all.

Tealboy

1.Unless you're getting one hell of a deal on the 300 I would strongly consider buying a new RX330. Some people are getting their cars close to invoice.

This way you'll have the peace of mind of a new car warranty.

2.If you decide to buy the 300 I would keep it until the drivetrain warranty expires and then unload it to avoid any out of pocket costly transmission replacement.

Just my 0.2$.

I am now beginning to learn about the acura mdx. I have grown uncomfortable w/ the RX tranny and really need the awd feature. at this point, i don't know much about the mdx but it's honda, so i am hoping its good. of course, i have lost some confid in consumer reports given what i am learning about the RX, but they equally rate the MDX high.

anyone know good/bad about the mdx?

The RX300 AWD is NOT an off-road vehicle, period. You're asking for trouble if you take it off pavement, even for short stretches.

Our meticulously-maintained transmission failed at 48,000 miles and was replaced under warranty. It still shifts more like a $12,000 vehicle than one that originally stickered for more than three times that amount. My 1999 Dodge Ram pickup has a far smoother transmission than the RX, and the Ram doesn't have to be pampered and babied all the time.

The exhaust manifold, rear main oil seal, mass air flow sensor, air/fuel ratio sensor, and front strut mount bushings all failed during 2003 and 2004, some components under warranty and some post-warranty. I forced Lexus to pick up the tab on all of these repairs - over $9,000 to date.

I cannot recommend an RX300 AWD to anyone. It has been the most disappointing vehicle I've owned in more than 35 years of driving, and I guarantee you that my wife will go back to a Grand Cherokee as soon as I'm willing to swallow the depreciation on her RX300 crackerbox. She's had great success with Grand Cherokees (we've had three of them) and regrets that she caught "Lexus fever" a few years back.

I am now beginning to learn about the acura mdx.  I have grown uncomfortable w/ the RX tranny and really need the awd feature.  at this point, i don't know much about the mdx but it's honda, so i am hoping its good.  of course, i have lost some confid in consumer reports given what i am learning about the RX, but they equally rate the MDX high. 

anyone know good/bad about the mdx?

The MDX also experienced some tranny problems, however Honda/Accura stood behind their product and gave a generous warranty and recall. Good product from what friends have said, they laugh and constantly ask about my RX after my disaster with three transmissions all on my cost. Buy the MDX you will be better off.

The MDX is another good SUV out there, but i didn't get the feel that they were as "solid" as the Rx's are. When i was looking for a car to replace my 99 rx300 i test drove the MDX. The materials didn't seem as high quality as i would have hoped.

But, if you have the $4400 to spare in the next few years (depending on how many miles you will travel), then go for the Rx300.

Besides the transmissions, the Rx300's are prefect!

i checked the tranny fluid and it seems fine. Mostly red, not perfect, but certainly not brown. Nor did it smell burnt. With 26k miles, the fluid has never been changed. I dont' really see a problem here. I would change the fluid asap after purchasing, if i go that route.

I drove the mdx and though it felt like a real quality vehicle, i found the ride somewhat stiff and the seats firm. I would like to find a mid size suv that i find as nice riding and comfortable as the RX, at least for comparision. I certainly don't like spening $26k on a four year old vehicle. Especially when it looks like it should be $20k new.