Hood Support Popper

dclcpa

my 94 LS hood support does not work (95K miles). Who got the best deal for replacement? Price? can they be repaired?

any idea how to diagnose which one is gone or both?

Common, happens all the time on these cars. I just carry a long std size stick from a broom or brush extension in my trunk at all times. Gets the job done.

No, they cant be repaired, they have to be replaced.

You can buy excellent and cheap replacement struts from Autozone. The autozone mighty lift catalog does not list a strut for the LS 400 but they have one that works well with a little rework to replace the end fittings. Do a search for the LS 400 hood struts and you should find the info you need to fix it.

if your talking about the hood shocks then yes they can be replaced at an autozone i dont recommend going to the dealer unless ur willing to pay 200-300 like i did which i reglet alot now but the ones form autozone should work fine after all its not one of those life and death situations u jsut need something to hold the hood up and ive heard u can get both shocks there for $50 which isnt bad at all compared to the dealer

They can be repaired by some guy who revalves them in Vancover BC.

They are made by KYB and the hood is real heavy so they are needed.

I replaced mine with mightylift for my ES for $25 each ,i hope to get a set for my LS as well as my right side is leaking.

I bought a set of brand-new OEM hood struts on ebay for like $75...deal of a lifetime! I paid the dealer $100/strut when they went on the ES, but I didn't want to do that again. I've very pleased with my find!

I found a Monroe strut that is the same length, cut open the factory ends to get the ball pivots, and installed them both in about 30 minutes. Total cost $64.00 Canadian. Works just like the factory ones.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted picture on the original picture site, might be gone now. I have pictures on how I replaced mine using the autozone struts. Replaced them 2 years ago and they still work great. Under $40 total and an hours work.

vbdenny@myway.com and I'll send them if I can find them.

I also replaced mine over 2 years ago using the autozone struts, using the same procedures as VBDenny and they are showing no signs of weakening. Less than $40 bucks for the total repair and a lifetime warranty on the autozone struts. If they ever fail, they will give you a new one for $0.

This should help, I looked up some old notes I kept with the part number. I have pictures somewhere but have switched computers since I did them and can't find it right now.

<http://www.cureline.net/lex/howtos/gfx/howto_hood_shocks_01.jpg>

First of all you need the right set of shocks. You can find them in AutoZone .

www.autozone.com

MIGHTY-LIFT LIFT - HATCH/HOOD/TRUNK

Unit Price: $15.99

Core Value*: $0.00

Part No.: C95029

Weight: 0.00 lbs.

Warranty: LLT

Availability: Online: Ships within 2 business days

Store: Not Available.

Check your local AutoZone since they might have it in stock (although their computer will tell you they they don't).

• 4 weeks later...
Yep! I used the how-to link Denny mentioned above about a month ago and it worked exactly as described. 45 minutes max and inexpensive.

B) Just bought ONE strut from Autozone and replaced the drivers side,the hood on my 98ls when it's about half way opened it raises it self to full open no more headbutts with my hood thankSSSSSSSSSS.

I did the same thing on my 98 as well, just replaced one side and wow that thing wants to open fast. The new struts don't open quite as much as the OEM but the difference is hardly noticeable. And it was the best $16 I've spent.

However, I do feel I have to be careful when opening and closing so as not to stress the hood at an angle. I'm thinking I may just go ahead and replace both.

• 4 months later...

I did the same thing on my 98 as well, just replaced one side and wow that thing wants to open fast. The new struts don't open quite as much as the OEM but the difference is hardly noticeable. And it was the best $16 I've spent.

However, I do feel I have to be careful when opening and closing so as not to stress the hood at an angle. I'm thinking I may just go ahead and replace both.

Thanks you all for good information. I just replaced both of my hood struts on my LS99. I bought the struts at local Autozone for 19.99/each (12/2005). I did not do any drilling, like one of people here, I used a tooth cleaning tool (looks like a hook, at any Eckerd store) to take the ring out. Putting the ball back to the new strut was easy.