Ls400 And Nsx For 300c?

CanadaCraig

I would not have done it had it not been for prior goings on. RF feels that because I'm a manager I should not be allowed to participate in any debates or discussions on the site and he's disrupted threads in the past that he hasn't been a part of to voice that feeling. He was warned by not only me but by the admins that further behavior of that nature would earn him a 2 week ban, and it did.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well my wife had a 98' chrysler minivan and it was a piece of junk. horrible A/C, tons of problems, bad engine, and not reliable. since then i have not even DRIVEN a chrisler. this seems to be the same prob. in benz to. (chrysler  owns benz). one of my friends has a benz and it breaks down quite often and has is more in the shop than in her garage. i would get another lexus or anything but chrysler. and i would keep the NSX because those cars are a work of art

You are correct india.....I personalyl wouldn't purchase a diamler chrysler (actually Benz owns Chrysler btw ;) ) product from past experences.....new or used. But as sw has mentioned, it all comes down to one's personal opinion on new, used or what brand one chooses. B) Good thread this was I think. ;)

:cheers:

Managment/moderators should keep topics on point and not have their own "conversations". Seems petty to have banned him for any of his posts in this thread.

So you're saying because a member is also a manager or a moderator they should totally give up the fun of being a member of the club and post only to keep topics on point?

Why would anyone want to be a moderator or a manager then?

We're allowed to have a good time on the board too. Find an internet forum anywhere that the moderators don't participate and contribute to the conversations going on then come talk to me.

As for banning him, again its only a 2 week ban and he's been warned about that kind of behavior before not only by me but by the site's admin. He knew what would happen when he posted what he posted.

I encourage anyone to speak on any topic they please. The byproduct is people will attain knowledge that otherwise would cost them time or money. A great example of this is the detail forum in which you manage.

From what I can see RF was suspended because he disagreed with your point of view. He didn't attack you personally nor was he profane. I recall a post by HRP in the "What Should I Do First?, Proper steps to a flawless finish!" in which you said you wouldn't "allow" his endorsement of a product even though it was his opinion. The point to keep in mind is that we come to the forum to gather information and poll people's experiences and OPINIONS. It seems a shame cut the value of the forum by policing people's opinions.

:cheers:

I think the 300C is a very attractive car. Despite the fact that Lexus is more reliable, we cannot overlook the appearance of 2001-2003 LS430, which are not as attractive as the 2004. This is the view of majority of people who have participated in the forum not just my opinion.

As for new versus old, as a student a new car is not even on my list!

BUT, if I can ever afford a new car, I would greatly love to go the extra mile and purchase it new. There are few things that I do not care for to be used or new. As a car lover, I would like to have a car build just for me, for once I do not have to look in papers, lots, etc., in hope to find something that I want. I can just pick and order whatever I desire.

flash- Not at all, the ban came because he directed that I should not be allowed to participate in this discussion because I am a manager. Like I said before it was not the first time and he was warned if he said anything like that to me or anyone else again he'd be banned for 2 weeks, not only by me but by the site's administrator.

If I banned him because he disagreed with me why didnt I ban Lexusfreak, or SRK, or bartkat, or skylow, or nc211? Why not most people as most of our membership owns used Lexuses? It had nothing to do with his opinion. I'd have done the same thing if his remarks were directed at someone else and he were backing me up.

As for HRP, my comments to him had to do with him being a product schill. We try and run an informative and unbiased detailing forum along with our partners, Autopia, and thats very difficult to do with someone posting that everything we're saying is wrong and that this product in a bottle will do everything better. On top of that, the particular product he mentioned has been known to start many an internet flame war on car enthusiast forums because of the cultlike following it has. Did I ban HRP? No, I simply asked him to stop doing that. And he has, which is very nice of him and I appreciate it.

I've been named! I'm famous! Honestly, it's to each is his own. SWO3ES has every right, it's his responsibility. I agree that it's no fun getting your toes stepped on simply becuase you've expressed your opinion or shared your knowledge, like swo3es did and got called out in a somewhat rude way. It makes the offended not want to return to the forum, which is the wrong result. We want people here, who have knowledge to share, and questions to ask. It's how we all can afford these repairs and enjoy our cars. So, Mr. Manager....stick to yer' guns. :cheers:

ps....remember, nobody likes the boss, that's why they're the boss.

• 1 year later...

New guy here. Just wondering how things turned out with Canada's dilemma.

When my car had somewhere between 80-90K, the shocks/struts were kaput and the car drove like a drunk boat. It was actually dangerous on twisties at 70 mph. A set of new gas shocks fixed that very nicely. Wider tires helped too.

As you all know, 70K on the LS400 is nothing. But 0-60 mph in 13 seconds is awful. Something is truly wrong. I imagine he looked at the obvious and that no mice or birds have taken up residence in his airbox. Could it have been something as simple as a very dirty airfilter?

Also, I've found that running some fuel system cleaner through things seems to perk everything up.

300C's are gorgeous. I want one someday. But would hate to give the LS400. What's an NSX?

New guy here. Just wondering how things turned out with Canada's dilemma.

When my car had somewhere between 80-90K, the shocks/struts were kaput and the car drove like a drunk boat. It was actually dangerous on twisties at 70 mph. A set of new gas shocks fixed that very nicely. Wider tires helped too.

As you all know, 70K on the LS400 is nothing. But 0-60 mph in 13 seconds is awful. Something is truly wrong. I imagine he looked at the obvious and that no mice or birds have taken up residence in his airbox. Could it have been something as simple as a very dirty airfilter?

Also, I've found that running some fuel system cleaner through things seems to perk everything up.

300C's are gorgeous. I want one someday. But would hate to give the LS400. What's an NSX?

Acura NSX (in japan its Honda NSX), they are the sportiest car ever made by acura/honda. One of my dream car for sure

I would say keep the NSX"if you can"..............dump the LS and buy maybe a nice 2003 or so LS used with low miles. You can almost gurantee the 300c is going to have all kinds of little problems, noises, rattles, and quirks by about 50,000 miles. You must remember Chrysler among many American name brand cars are built towards a price point more then being built to be the best vehicle in its class. There is shortcuts taking everywhere to achieve this.

I would really look into a few year old LS. You wouldn't be the one eating the intial deprecation then.

Good luck on your decision. Love the NSX by the way

I entirely agree. I had a string of Porsche's, bought a '91 NSX (used, I might add -- it is a Honda, after all, and a lot cheaper to work on than P-cars), and made a few 'enhancements' to it that brought it up to about 425hp at the crank. What a scream -- far more car than the P-cars ever were, and I had some serious ones. All that for about $40k overall -- there wasn't a Ferrari (or Z06 or anything else) on the road that could keep up on the track or in autocross. It's just one of the best handling cars ever made. One of my employees had a 300ZX TT that had well over 600bhp and he couldn't beat the NSX; his top-end and turbo work alone cost $15k. Wish I'd never sold it, but that's another story.

The Lex is a road-sofa that performs reasonably well; yours sounds like it needs some work by someone who honestly knows what they're doing. Get rid of it? Perhaps -- sounds like you've paid more than your share of dues trying to fix it. Get another one or something else and feel good about what you have. Life's too short. I do love my '98.

As for personal preference, I'll never buy another new car -- take your time looking, get a good, honest mechanic to check candidates out for you, and let someone else pay the depreciation. My opinion, for all that that's worth.

Drive fast and good luck (particularly with a Chrysler product). mojo.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi harjp!! :)

I hope you're OK.

Thanks for posting a message.

Well.... I still have the LS400. In fact - it's back in the 'shop' as I write. [At the Lexus dealer - in other words] I'll let you [and everyone else know] how it turns out - this time - when I get it back. Thanks for the idea re: gas shocks. Probably needs new shocks [or it is 'struts'?] given the fact that the originals are still on the car. The car is also lower on the driver's side - so that might mean new coil springs too. [but that's after the performance issue has been dealt with - which I'm sure won't take too long!! lol :P ]

As for the NSX - well - SURPRISE!! On June 21st - I traded it in on a brand new 300C SRT8. People can say what they like about Chrysler's - but WOW is that SRT8 ever a great car. I can hardly believe it. The PLAN was to immediately trade in the LS400 [not needing two 4 door V8 cars] on either a Honda FIT, Nissan Versa or Toyota Yaris. I even went so far as to test drive all three. But that plan seems to have gone up in smoke [at least for now] because the LS isn't worth that much. I would have to pay about $12,000 difference to buy any of the three econo-cars I mentioned above. Quite disappointing - to be sure. Don't know if it's best to keep the LS and just think of it as a 'go to the store' car - OR spent $12,000 and get something new. But even as I wrote that - I cringed. That's a LOT of money. And I already spent a lot buying the Chrysler. If you haven't already guessed - I'm really confused. [but what else is new!!] As for right now - I'm going to give myself a mental break while the LS is in the shop. [i become obsessed with 'ideas' and think about 'them' non-stop. It drives me nuts!!]

As for the LS400 - I don't think mice or birds are causing any problems - but I do smell a RAT!! lol

Oh well......

Craig!! :)

PS Hi Speed_Racer_Sandy_Eggo!! That NSX you had sounds amazing. Even with just 270 h.p. - the NSX is a fast car. :)

Hi harjp!! :)

I hope you're OK.

Thanks for posting a message.

Well.... I still have the LS400. In fact - it's back in the 'shop' as I write. [At the Lexus dealer - in other words] I'll let you [and everyone else know] how it turns out - this time - when I get it back. Thanks for the idea re: gas shocks. Probably needs new shocks [or it is 'struts'?] given the fact that the originals are still on the car. The car is also lower on the driver's side - so that might mean new coil springs too. [but that's after the performance issue has been dealt with - which I'm sure won't take too long!! lol :P ]

As for the NSX - well - SURPRISE!! On June 21st - I traded it in on a brand new 300C SRT8. People can say what they like about Chrysler's - but WOW is that SRT8 ever a great car. I can hardly believe it. The PLAN was to immediately trade in the LS400 [not needing two 4 door V8 cars] on either a Honda FIT, Nissan Versa or Toyota Yaris. I even went so far as to test drive all three. But that plan seems to have gone up in smoke [at least for now] because the LS isn't worth that much. I would have to pay about $12,000 difference to buy any of the three econo-cars I mentioned above. Quite disappointing - to be sure. Don't know if it's best to keep the LS and just think of it as a 'go to the store' car - OR spent $12,000 and get something new. But even as I wrote that - I cringed. That's a LOT of money. And I already spent a lot buying the Chrysler. If you haven't already guessed - I'm really confused. [but what else is new!!] As for right now - I'm going to give myself a mental break while the LS is in the shop. [i become obsessed with 'ideas' and think about 'them' non-stop. It drives me nuts!!]

As for the LS400 - I don't think mice or birds are causing any problems - but I do smell a RAT!! lol

Oh well......

PS Hi Speed_Racer_Sandy_Eggo!! That NSX you had sounds amazing. Even with just 270 h.p. - the NSX is a fast car. :)

Hi CanadaCraig, congrats on the SRT8! My father in law has a 300C, and when I throw it around in those Hawaiian twisties, it handles like a sports car, which is surprising considering the weight of the car. So I could just imagine how an SRT8 would feel like, with better suspension and huge horsepower. Personally I think 300C's and SRT8s are great cars Chrysler or not. Besides alot more money has gone into developing this car then say a Sebring for instance, so it's not your typical Chrysler. Anyhow, in one of ur previous postings, you mentioned that the LS has a droning sound around 50? Mine does too! Actually there is nothing wrong with the car at all, if going at a steady pace about 50 i don;t notice it, but if I accelerate then it has a droning sound till i lay off the pedal. Is that what happens to yours as well? At first when I got the car, I tought it was the muffler, but after inspecting it and found nothing wrong"at least visually" I assumed thats just how the car sounds. Isn't that normal tho? I always wonder. Any other time when not accelarating from 50 and on, it's quiet as the wind. :cheers:

SRT8.....cooooooooooooooolllllll!!!!!!!!!

I kind of like the techno/utilitarian interior for this kind of car.

Man, 425-hp with 4-piston caliper monster brakes.

May it be everything you hoped and more, Craig.

Hats off to SW - "Because you're simply not going to get perfection from a 12 year old car, regardless of how low the mileage is... I'd do the trade tomorrow, be done with it and be on with your life."

Hi falciott!! :)

I appreciate the positive response. I seriously thought of getting a 300C [like the one your father-in-law has] but then decided that since the car I was going to get was going to replace the NSX - IT would have to be especially special. And that certainly describes the 300C SRT8. At first I was really worried about the gas mileage - but it's not that bad. [considering] So far - the 'car' gets [on average] 18.3 mpg. [and that's per U.S. gallon - too] Far better than the 10 to 12 I was reading on some websites. Then again - I don't race my car. I drive like an ordinary person who [occasionally] becomes possessed with power and drives like a maniac!! lol I suppose if someone were to race it a LOT - it wouldn't hard to get only 10 or so. In fact - it gets better gas mileage than my LS400. [Which - the last time I checked - was getting only 16.7 miles per U.S. gallon - on average] But not only that - the 300C SRT8 is a better car in ways one might not expect. It's quieter - for one thing and [other than on obviously bumpy roads] smoother. It also brakes, steers and performs better. [not surprisingly] And when you're driving it - it feels HUGE in spite of the fact that it's almost exactly the same length the LS. It just appeals to me in so many ways. I think I've dreamt of the 300C SRT8 ever since I was a boy. I just didn't know what to call it. I used to fantasize about stuffing a 426 HEMI into a Chrysler Imperial!! :D It's no 'Lexus' as far as fit and finish is concerned. Then again - my 2006 Chrysler 300C SRT8 had an MSRP of $54,650. [Canadian - of course] Back in 1993 - a Canadian LS400 had an MSRP of just under $68,000. It would - therefore - be fair to expect more from the Lexus - at least insofar as build quality and choice of materials is concerned.

As for the LS 'drone' - the dealer took off the drive shaft [this is going back a couple of years now] and balanced it. It didn't really help much. Even they admitted that. My 'drone' was when I let OFF the gas at around 50 MPH. Other than telling you that - though - I can't really help you solve the problem. [because I don't know what causes it] Sorry about that. :( The 'drone' is still there - but I try to ignore it. [whenever I can]

By the way - to see my new Chrysler - click on my 'See My Cars' link in my signature!! [and sign the little guest book - if you like]

Congrats Craig! I love the 300C, if only the interior were classier...

Hi SW03ES!! :)

Thank you!!

DaimlerChrysler could have used higher grade materials - I'll admit - but it's not assembled poorly. It just LOOKS a little on the cheap side. At least the 300's are nicer looking than the Chargers and Magnums. [in my opinion] One thing that surprised me was the fact that the dashboard [the big black part that goes from the gauge cluster and glove-box to the windshield] is SOFT. I always thought it was hard plastic. [based on how it looks] But it's not. It's actually better than it looks!! lol

The one area that is REALLY cheap is the leather on the seats. Even though the SRT8's come with special sport seats - the leather is just awful. I feel sorry for the poor cow who had to live what life he had with THAT skin!! lol It feels more like .... hmm ... I was going to say plastic wrap - but even that might be too flattering. They are very comfy and supportive though!!

Hi LScott400!! :)

I appreciate the enthusiastic response!! That's just how I feel!! And those BREMBO brakes are unbelievable. Imagine the power it takes to STOP a 4,200 lbs car from 60 MPH in less about 110 feet. Amazing!! Lots of brake dust though. Fortunately - the 'DUBS' [Hey - I'm learning a whole new language] are easy to clean!! I also appreciate the good wishes. So far - it IS everything I hoped for - and more. I just feel so GOOD driving it. Every time I'm behind the wheel it's like I'm playing out a part in my very own MadMax movie!! lol Well... not quite... but close!! :D

As for the LS - I'll let everyone know in a few days what I decide to do. [You can all start holding your breath - NOW!! lol]

In fact - it gets better gas mileage than my LS400. [Which - the last time I checked - was getting only 16.7 miles per U.S. gallon - on average] But not only that - the 300C SRT8 is a better car in ways one might not expect. It's quieter - for one thing and [other than on obviously bumpy roads] smoother. It also brakes, steers and performs better. [not surprisingly] And when you're driving it

Thats because its 14 years newer, that would not be the case comparing it to a new or newer LS ;)

But, they're totally different cars meant for totally different purposes.

Craig, that is a sweet machine you got there. You were asking for advise on what to do, but I think your own decision to buy an SRT8 is the best venue you could have taken. Heck.. I am envious! :whistles: Infact some time during the next few weeks I'll be testing one out myself. To buy?! Not at all! My wife would decapitate me as I am sitting down for breakfast! But I am curious to see what it feels like, since I have read some great reviews on it. Personally I wouldn;t really change much on the car, as it looks great, maybe just some coilovers, and dropping it about 1" and wider (non-tacky) tires, as the factory rims dont; quite fill up the fender well. Like SW said, why the need for 2 cars? Weekend car? If a car is awesome, why enjoy it only two days out of the week, when u can enjoy it 7 days? Anyhow, once in a while you should definetly put the pedal to the metal, that car is made for that.. but if you feel like you can't do that to your baby, I'd be more then happy to take that burden off your shoulders :cheers:

Yeah I've never understood buying one awesome car, than a crappy econo car to drive when you're afraid to drive the nice one. Cars are bought to DRIVE, so I'd rather pool the resources and buy a better car to drive everywhere. If it gets damaged, it gets damaged. But whenever you would drive that Yaris you'd long for the 300C so why bother? Same with the Lexus.

Hi SW03ES!! :)

In response to MY saying that MY 300C SRT8 is the 'better car' in comparison to MY LS....

YOU said, "That's because its 14 years newer, that would not be the case comparing it to a new or newer LS."

Well..... I'm not so sure about that. The 300C SRT8 - in comparison to a brand new LS430 or even the 2007 LS460 [based upon the available info] is the more powerful car. [being quicker from 0 to 60 and having a higher top speed] It also has stronger brakes and it handles better. It most likely isn't as quiet as a new LS but it has a lot going for it - 'bragging rights' wise. This is especially true if you compare MSRP's.

But like you also said, ".... they're totally different cars meant for totally different purposes."

As for why two cars...

I understand what you're saying...

BUT...

Didn't your mom [or whoever raised you] tell you that you couldn't have desert until you finished all your vegetables?! lol Well.... that's the logic behind why I like having two cars. If the every day car is rather ordinary [kinda broccoli like] it makes getting into the 'desert car' all that more exciting. Besides - with 20" Goodyear F1 Supercar tires - it's not really what you'd call a 4-season OR 'every day car'. [at least not as far as I'm concerned] Which is why I'm still battling over what to do with the Lexus. Part of me says 'keep it' and the other part says 'keep the promise you made to yourself when you bought the SRT8 and get rid of it and by that 'broccoli' car'. I really don't know what to do. Trouble is - I basically have two cars that do the same thing. When just cruising along - they serve the same purpose. The only advantage between the two going to the Chrysler because it's considerably more comfortable. [i never have liked the seats in my LS]

I'm just not sure what to do. :unsure:

Hi falciott!! :)

Maybe you shouldn't test drive one!! lol It would be like a fat guy 'testing out' a new candy bar!! [referring to myself - lest anyone's feeling get hurt] The power is addictive. And the engine - at idle - rocks the car gently. I love that!! And yet - it's very easy to drive smoothly.

As for what you would do to an SRT8 if you had one - do you really think that the 20" wheels aren't big enough?! Sure - they could be wider [i suppose] but they seem to fill up the wheel wells pretty nicely if you ask me. [but to each his own - of course] Some guys agree with you - obviously - as they have replaced those 'dubs' with 22" and even 24" wheels. YIKES!! All of this makes me laugh - to be honest. I clearly remember thinking that 15" wheels were BIG!!

As for the offer to floor my car FOR ME - thank you very much. But I do that often enough - I think!! [you know - just to keep the injectors clean!! lol]

Hi blake918!! :)

I hope you're OK.

Thanks for the message. YES!! 425 h.p. is a lot of fun. Imagine a 4,200 lbs car getting to 60 mph in 4.7 seconds and having a top speed of 173 MPH. I continue to be amazed by how fast it is. Imagine what that engine could do with a 3,200 lbs car!! :D